+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hull City (A) part 2- Papa Johns Trophy

Hull City (A) part 2- Papa Johns Trophy

Early KO for this match 17:30 tomorrow. Don't know if it is on iplayer but it is on TalkSport2 from 5.
    Is there any interest in this match, away against top of the league in the last cup competion for both teams. Hull at least will field a weakened side, so can we win.
    I am going to be optimistic for once and predict a 2-1 win.

Ah great SOMEBODY has taken the lead on opening up a post!
    I believe DA has also said that he's going to field a 'changed' team so do either club want it?
    DA has consistently talked of the competition as a little earner, so you:d expect he'd want to go as far as he can.
    Having said all that, how many 'squad' players do we have to make changes? He could use some of: Richards; Lancashire; Robbins; Griffith's; Sass-Davies; Porter er.. who am I missing?
    Hopefully he's not going to throw too many of them in. Just remembered Adebisi.
    Anyway, unlike Teammoo, I'm an eternal pessimist so i' m going for another Portsmouth😟

....and Zanzala!!

Perry is available for this one.

but i think he should persevere with Johnston. He looked constrained on Saturday so he needs to get used to taking responsibility. And I was looking at 'squad players'.
    Still feeling pessimistic. And it looks like just you and me predicting this game!!

2-1 win - Porter pen and a header for the second.

10 changes! A 'squad' back 4; a squad mid with Perry slap bang in the middle and an 'interesting' forward line.
    I stick by my forecast. Hope they've got nobody with pace up front!

I've waited a day just to simmer down. The 'reserves' did a grand job but it was a total waste of time considering the penalties that followed. DA says he won't criticise people who have stood up and put themselves forward to take a penalty but did they practise beforehand? If they did, did they try the same style of penalty as they carried out in the match. Do the club issue any 'do's' & 'don'ts' on how to take penalties? In future they need to use last night's penalties in all training videos on how not to take them.
    Let's remember, a penalty is an unchallenged, free shot from 12 yards against a goalkeeper. Much is said about it being a 'lottery'. However, this should only be true for the goalkeeper, who has much less chance than the taker.
    Watch penalties and you will see shorter run ups end up as misses to a greater extent than longer ones. You need balance and rhythm by the time you impact the ball. You cannot establish either with just two or three steps.
    Also, if you plant your standing foot next to the ball when spotting it, it is essential you pace out your run up. All three who missed did the first part but then did not approach the ball with any regular steps so that first step was pointless.
    Finally, a knockout, penalty shoot out should NEVER be the time to try to be clever and try tricks. Just, take enough of a run up to establish momentum and balance and then hit it hard. Clearly that message clearly isn't being given.
    Makes you wonder what else isn't being said.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I've waited a day just to simmer down. The 'reserves' did a grand job but it was a total waste of time considering the penalties that followed. DA says he won't criticise people who have stood up and put themselves forward to take a penalty but did they practise beforehand? If they did, did they try the same style of penalty as they carried out in the match. Do the club issue any 'do's' & 'don'ts' on how to take penalties? In future they need to use last night's penalties in all training videos on how not to take them.
    Let's remember, a penalty is an unchallenged, free shot from 12 yards against a goalkeeper. Much is said about it being a 'lottery'. However, this should only be true for the goalkeeper, who has much less chance than the taker.
    Watch penalties and you will see shorter run ups end up as misses to a greater extent than longer ones. You need balance and rhythm by the time you impact the ball. You cannot establish either with just two or three steps.
    Also, if you plant your standing foot next to the ball when spotting it, it is essential you pace out your run up. All three who missed did the first part but then did not approach the ball with any regular steps so that first step was pointless.
    Finally, a knockout, penalty shoot out should NEVER be the time to try to be clever and try tricks. Just, take enough of a run up to establish momentum and balance and then hit it hard. Clearly that message clearly isn't being given.
    Makes you wonder what else isn't being said.
    I didn't see them but my questions would be the same as yours. Short runs ups vs long run ups? I agree with you and hitting the ball hard means a longer run up normally and even if the goalie picks the right way, he has a job to save it. Also DA knew there was a chance the match could go to pens BEFORE the match and so did he instruct them to practice them before the day? Stepping up to the plate? Should that not have been decided BEFORE the match started.

I think one word is appropriate and that is an 'amateurish' approach to a professional game by DA and the coaching staff. Thing is you don't need to have a GK in the net to practice pens you could have a cardboard cut out if you want. Sorry but no excuses for missing so many pens!!

Have to say I am duly impressed with the technical knowledge of the last two posters. Absolutely spot

With Gazan and MikeSB as our 1st team squad coaches there is no doubt in my mind that our future would be bright. No more ***** footing around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast