+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Northampton (H)

Northampton (H)

So it's back to the league after ending our cup inspirations.
    Do we start with the same side as started against Burton or does Charlie come back in? Our last game against this was ended in a disappointing defeat ( our worst of last season).
    I think that we should beat them and hoping for a 3-1 win.
    Last edited by Teammoo; 11-12-2020 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Yes, got thumped 4-1 at their house last season and didn’t get the chance to avenge that for obvious reasons. They are just the sort of team we have historically had problems with, much as Exeter did in the play off final. However, I hope we are better equipped now ( we certainly improved against teams like this as last season wore on beating Stevenage, Oldham and Walsall) and I’ll settle for watching us beat them 2-0.... live and in person - yay!!!!

I don’t expect Charlie to replace Powell, given that the Cobblers are more physical, so hopefully he can come on with 20 to go and show us all what we’ve been missing.

We are still prone to conceding from dead ball situations (including our own!) Will Offord be pressed into submission by a big guy? How long before the defence is unnecessarily put under strain from silly fouls. Last season, didn't DA warn them about giving away stupid fouls only for it to happen within the first few minutes?
    I'm still pissed off about Tuesday so I can't see us winning. Loss 1-3.

Forgot to mention that as I live in a Tier 3 area, I probably won't be going tomorrow, which I'm finding difficult to deal with.
    Anyone else going/unable to go?

Yes, gazan, was able to go and I have to say the Club had things very well organised, even though it meant my first visit to the PopulR Side since it was given over to the away side! The crowd, too, played their part by following the guidance sent out by the club (at least where I was) and getting behind the lads - helped by the fact that Northampton kicked off their time wasting as early as the tenth minute, which is guaranteed to get our backs up!

In many ways not being able to breach their dogged defence was very frustrating, but scoring the winner in the 4th minute of extra time was deeply satisfying and sent everyone away very happy!

Phew! Close, but got there in the end. Fully deserved victory in one of the most one sided matches I've seen for a few years. Only watched on ifollow but thought everyone put in a good performance, but I must highlight Lancashire for another solid display, especially going forward. Hats off to the lad as I thought he was not an "Alex" player, but glad to be proved wrong.

Yes, Lancashire was excellent, as was Omar although their perceived lack of pace was never going to be tested by the Northampton front line! Beckles had all the time in the world to amble over the halfway line in the second half and produce an array of passes that Wintle would be proud of. Offord also looked like a more than decent RB - as good a defender as Ng although not as natural coming forward.

I’ll break my own rule and agree that they were truly awful - not sure how much you would need to pay me to watch them against Gillingham - but we made them look that poor too and they really had no clue how to stop us except getting 10, or latterly 9, behind the ball. Should be a better spectacle on Tuesday evening.

And a quick, no let’s make it a long, look at the League table shows us as comfortably the best of the promoted clubs. I guess that’s what stability does for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Yes, Lancashire was excellent, as was Omar although their perceived lack of pace was never going to be tested by the Northampton front line! Beckles had all the time in the world to amble over the halfway line in the second half and produce an array of passes that Wintle would be proud of. Offord also looked like a more than decent RB - as good a defender as Ng although not as natural coming forward.

I’ll break my own rule and agree that they were truly awful - not sure how much you would need to pay me to watch them against Gillingham - but we made them look that poor too and they really had no clue how to stop us except getting 10, or latterly 9, behind the ball. Should be a better spectacle on Tuesday evening.

And a quick, no let’s make it a long, look at the League table shows us as comfortably the best of the promoted clubs. I guess that’s what stability does for you.
    Northampton played with a back 4 and a wall of 5 in front of that. To be fair they were well organised and it took us a while to work out how to get past that formation. Yes they wasted time at every opportunity and I felt their keeper should have got a yellow. Our fans soon let them know what they thought of this ploy.
    Football won in the end as they have to be one of the worst footballing sides I have seen at Gresty Roadin a long time.

Good all round display, despite watching it only on I-Follow. I was convinced we wouldn't get that second goal but I should have a bit more faith in this bunch. If only we had more finishers, we 'd be walking this league! Talking of which, I'm glad to see that Owen Dale is trying to make me eat my words about him not being a goal threat! However, if we are going to see chips to the far post, then we need Powell's height coming in off the wing. Can't expect Mandron to cover both posts.
    Charlie really enjoyed himself and thankfully started taking his markers on AND using his left foot and getting to the byline to cross. I think Beckles was afforded so much room that occasionally he could have taken an extra couple of yards and shot. Offord was really pleasing as a RB and if Lancashire plays that well all the time we can stick with this formation. Okay, so Offord doesn't advance as well as Perry.......yet!
    I thought Pixie was man of the match by far. Due to the circumstances (i.e. a one-sided match!) he was virtually an attacking midfielder and was involved in everything that was positive about our approach play. Dale, despite his goalscoring run still can exasperate. He can do some really amazing things but sometimes cannot manage a straightforward 5 yard pass.
    If I have one little gripe, it is that we need to carry (rather than cross) the ball into the penalty area more often. We have lots of talent who are quick with their feet on the ball that, once inside the box, they should be fairly untouchable. Too often we come inside and theres a straight chip into the box. Chips have little power, and need further action from the receiver to translate them into another result thus giving time for players to be closed down.
    I'll also give a backhanded compliment to Finney in that his best contribution was NOT touching the ball and letting it run through for Wintle to score. I do appreciate Finney's skill in being in the right place but he must start converting that into goals soon.
    Anyway, a winning goal on 94 minutes is the way to win especially against a team like Northampton.
    Last edited by gazan; 13-12-2020 at 07:12 PM. Reason: missing word