+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wide of the mark

Wide of the mark

Following on from Oz’s post on the ineffectiveness of Bertrand T. Who was our last decent Wideman? We seem to have been jinxed with incredibly inconsistent or unproductive wingers in the last 10 years.

Albrighton
    Zog
    Bacuna
    Green
    Adama T
    Albert
    Gil
    Jota
    Bolasie
    AEG
    Trez
    Bertrand T

Ashley Young could well have been our last decent one, and he left in 2011.

Tony Morley.....

Ah, what a couple of seasons he had. Unfortunately, he doesn’t fit ‘the last 10 years’ timeline.

Pat McMahon, Willie Anderson, Chico, and Ray Graydon were bombing up and down the wings when I first got the calling.

Mark Walters and Tony Daley weren’t bad, on their day.

Milner left in 2010, so he’s borderline re timeline.

Walters was the name that came to my mind after the glory years - rated him above Daley as he had a better end product.

Although not an out and out winger, Grealish plays out wide most of the time and cuts in with great efforts on goal.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Walters was the name that came to my mind after the glory years - rated him above Daley as he had a better end product.

Although not an out and out winger, Grealish plays out wide most of the time and cuts in with great efforts on goal.
    Wow, what a knucklehead I am. Of course, he counts mate.

Plays wide for his Country, don't you know. (As I Slink back to the solace of my Stella fridge.)

I also agree about Daley. He was like Forrest Gump, when on the Am Footy pitch. Daley was too fast for his own good and often ran out of pitch, couldn't 'cross' his legs either. Some wags used to scream 'stop Forrest stop' (like the film) when he fizzed towards the Holte.

I think Tony morley would still be decent winger🤪 best crosser of the ball, Elmo?

Bertrand Traore adds some competitiveness to the position that is a tussle between him, Trez and El Ghazi.

The last best crosser of the ball was Downing imo. Although I think we could well see Matty Cash take up that position. He is an excellent crosser of the ball.

Traore did do one little tricky thing at the weekend. That take down with the outside of his boot whilst running was ace.

Morley was my boyhood hero, always an expectant buzz when he got the ball - met him once after playing against him at VP in a charity game, nice fella.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)