+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Magnet fishermen find dead body in River Don next to NYS

O/T Magnet fishermen find dead body in River Don next to NYS

Last edited by CAMiller; 14-12-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Don't have access to read that. Was it the Tin Man?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Don't have access to read that. Was it the Tin Man?
    It's not paywalled, must be because you're in the USA.

"A group of magnet fishers have hooked a dead body from a town centre river.

Members of the Yorkshire Magneteers club turned up the male corpse from the River Don, in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, on Sunday morning.

After making the grisly find, the group, which has permission to fish metal out of Britain's watercourses, contacted police who took over recovery of the unidentified man.

Yorkshire Magneteers spokesperson Kerry Carter, 35, said that a small group of three were magnet fishing in the Don, close to the Rotherham United football ground.

They were in a smaller group than usual due to Covid restrictions.

"There would normally be children in the group, but thankfully on this occasion, no children were present," said Kerry, who formed Yorkshire Magneteers around 18 months ago.

Magnet fishers use high powered magnets to pull iron objects from rivers, canals and lakes.

Yorkshire Magneteers have dragged machine guns, cars, pistols, hand grenades, knives, and bikes, among other more mundane finds, from the water.

"We have pulled some unusual things out of the water, but this is the first time we've had a dead body," said Kerry.

"The body had been in the water for some time and was clothed in a tracksuit. Poor bloke."

This morning's group was being led by former soldier Robbie Sampler, who suffers from PTSD.

"They thought it was a rucksack in the water at first then the magnet has turned over the body and they realised what it was and called the police immediately," said Kerry.

"It has been a massive shock for them all, and I was particularly concerned for Robbie and his PTSD.

"He is a bit shook up but they have gone to McDonald's for a cup of tea and to calm down.

"I think they are thankful that they have found the poor guy and have been able to give him some respect in death."

Magnet fishing is increasing in popularity, with thousands uploading videos of their finds on YouTube.

But it is not without its dangers.

A father and son died while magnet fishing in 2018, prompting a warning from the coroner about the "inherent dangers" of the pastime.

Martin Andrews, 43, and Jack, 19, were using a very strong magnet on a rope to "catch" pieces of metal in the Huddersfield Canal.

Their inquest heard their bodies were found "vertically submerged" and their deaths declared as misadventure."

There’s quite a few people gone/going missing just lately, it’s such a sad world we live in atm

This could have been put on the main page, it’s not politics or is it all OT topics?
    Last edited by millertop; 14-12-2020 at 12:19 PM.

There's been a man missing from the surrounding Rotherham area for several months now, it may well be him. Whoever it is I hope they are at peace now. Very sad indeed and will surely be very traumatic for his family once identified.

The bloke didnt sit far from me at NYS in the west stand. I’m not going to say his name in here though. It’s not appropriate yet.

How has a magnet pulled a dead body out unless perhaps it was tangled with wire or snagged on the line

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    How has a magnet pulled a dead body out unless perhaps it was tangled with wire or snagged on the line
    Wearing a belt?. Some of these magnets can attach to anything metal and have the pulling strain of 130lbs plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Wearing a belt?. Some of these magnets can attach to anything metal and have the pulling strain of 130lbs plus.
    ...plus the body may have been weighed down with metal/iron scrap.

A few months ago my good lay and I were walking down a path next to the Rother, we saw a lady kept walking in and out of the parts of the river. We said hello and she started to tell us she was looking for her best friends husbands body after he threw himself off a bridge into the river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast