+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wimbledon

Wimbledon

Go on then, I'll do it!
    So, a run of four games without being beaten and some very good performances but without the concomitant goals. Glad we are playing there before any Rugby League is played on the surface. They've had a couple of decent results lately but their defence seems suspect. However, they have the division's second leading goalscorer in Pigott (10).
    As for the Alex, I don't know if availability for midfield is still thin or what but I assume we will start with the same 11 who started against Plymouth. Will Wimbledon come at us and leave spaces or will they follow the general pattern and try and block us out and rely on a poached goal? It's about time for Mandron to score again but that will depend on how the game goes. If we're as camped in the opposition half as the previous 2 games then I suspect Mika won't get an opportunity due to the lack of space. However, if the game is open, then I predict he will score. Can Dale make 5 from 5? All good things must come to an end and I think he'll draw a blank on Saturday but not for want of trying. If we're short in midfield then that means Finney will play but he's lucky. Being a one-trick-pony is all well and good but the one trick has to work on a regular basis. He doesn't do enough otherwise. I would hope that DA has been working on decision-making in the opposition box. It is that and not particularly lack of finishing that is keeping our goals for tally down. (moan coming!) Finney needs to be sharper in his shooting and Charlie has to deal with basics more often rather than always going for the clever, flick, chip or 'bent from the outside of the foot' pass/shot. Just hit the damn thing sometimes!
    Prediction: playing safe 1-1. Mandron (or Finney)

I won’t rehearse our differences regarding Finney (!) but I do agree that Kirk needs to start making the right decisions- was guilty of passing when he should have shot and vice versa on Tuesday, without playing badly. It was interesting watching the match from closer to my usual seat, which I have been since we were allowed back in. Finney has quite a decent change of pace on him and Dale really quick feet - and gets so annoyed with himself when things don’t come off - but never blames anyone but himself (unlike some I could mention!).

To be honest, after watching the last two matches I don’t think it really matters how the opposition set up. Northampton had 10, later 9, behind the ball for most of the match as their primary tactic. Plymouth, on the other hand, were trying to play out from the back but we just pinned them back, especially in the first half. Sure, we could play through the less crowded and organised Argyle defence more easily than the well drilled Northampton mob, but we still could and should have won both matches more easily. Wimbledon aren’t in the best run of results so I think anything more than. Draw is definitely on the cards.... but I’ll duck out and say 1-1 and hope Finney gets the goal he deserves!!!!

I'd settle for 1 all too.

I would like the academy players to include Mandron more in the play when we are near the oppositions goal . I am aware as most of us are that they have been together from a young age and do most things on instinct . I am sure if he was involved more , goals would come for him and the team. 1-3 win for us. We are the inform team in the league and long may it last.

Always good to score a winner immediately after the opposition have equalised AND in the last couple of minutes.
    Anyway, got the result wrong but do I get points for the Mandron/Finney prediction?
    Not the greatest game to watch especially with Radio Stoke's/ I-Follow's shambles. It's the second time running I've had to listen to at least 5 of Port Vale commentary. And then the second half
    - mumblings about Johnson speaking followed by approx 10 mins of silence (or at least no commentary from RS - we could hear the Don's commentary in the background).
    Anyway, finally Finney took advantage of popping up in the right place after a superb knockdown by Porter.
    Can't understand the headless chicken impressions from our defence for the 5 or so minutes before they scored.
    Nevertheless Beckles had a great game but Dale had a quiet one despite having two chances, both of which he rushed. Wasn't sure why Mandron was taken off as soon as he had scored but in the end it worked out.
    So a 'rest' for the players- no midweek game. Definitely won't be at boxing day game now as new Covid rules suggest cannot visit mother for Christmas.
    Have a great Christmas everyone!

Three points from me for your prediction, gazan, not to mention a Merry (ish!) Christmas and a Healthy 2021 with a few days out at Gresty Road.

Great to pick up 3 points and for the 2 scorers to be those that probably need them most to keep us off their backs - we just need a pair from Kirky against the Cod Army now.

I always listen to the opposition commentators. Better than Crewe Alexander. And good to hear them praising Crewe and slagging their own team off

I too listened to the Wimbledon commentary although I’ve nothing against Morse and McGarry, you just have to click on the cog at the bottom of the screen. Thought several players were a bit of colour. Please don’t forget we’re playing in a higher league and holding our own admirably, so are entitled to an off day.