+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can we maybe start to dream?

Can we maybe start to dream?

This question has been asked a few times over the last couple of weeks on BBC RS, so I thought I'd pose it here to get your thoughts:

Are we now contenders for the playoffs/promotion this season?

On the face of it, given our transfer budget, the fact that we've only just got out of League 2, the fact that all the teams around and above us have at least one game in-hand over us, etc. it would seem ridiculous to even contemplate it. But, on the other hand, when you look at where we are in the league (only 3 points outside the playoffs spots), consider the fact that we are in-form at the moment and, traditionally, our form gets even better in the new year and factor in the closeness of the squad, I think a valid case could be made.

My personal feeling is that we are contenders for the playoffs, and maybe even automatic promotion, given the right run of results, staying relatively injury free to our key players and, more importantly, the right acquisitions in the January transfer window.

What do y'all think?

We can dream. However, until we start scoring more of our chances I think we'll fall just short. Another factor may be the transfer window. Not so much the 'right acquisitions' but rather a fire sale of our assets. For some of our players it's getting late in the day of their careers so may feel pressured to accept an offer. I think it is a matter of how many rather than if.
    As things are, we are in a position to challenge. A 30% increase in marksmanship from Finney could be enough😉

Very happy with the progress this season to date. 12 points clear of the relegation places. The division does seem to be open, but the absence of crowds does seem to be negating the home advantage.

I stated at the beginning of the season a top 6 finish was on and I still feel this is possible. Covid and the financial restrictions have made this league wide open and need to take advantage of it. We started off playing all the top teams and now we have a period of winnable games. The transfer window will play an unknown part in where we eventually end up . I want this club to be established well in this league and not get promoted and then thrashed in every game . Its a massive step up into the Championship and with all their money.

It already seems we will do better than the last time we left L2. Now, can we match the previous occasion we were promoted from the lowest tier, when we finished 3rd, losing out in the play offs to Bristol Rovers. Unlikely I know, but we can but dream...

There are so many factors that play in our favour or go against us . I say take each game as it comes and try for the 3 points every time . Let other teams worry about us and let our lads take us where ever they take us.

2 decent games ahead which would have taken us to the mid-point of the season with a good tally. Then the tough games start again.

Our opponents not catching Covid would help!