+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: January Transfer Window

January Transfer Window

Sort of normal for this time of year, I know, to be looking at the upcoming transfer window. But I thought I'd put it out there to see what everyone thinks. even more than most years, there's a lot of factors to consider going into January's transfer window.
    • Do we actually need any new players in?
    • Who, if anyone, do we need to ship out; whether that be on loan or permanently?
    • Given the Covid-19 pandemic, is it more important to keep the purse strings tight or, given the fact that we're riding high(ish), should we be backing the manager to achieve the impossible?
    • If we do need players; who/what position do we need?

I'd be really interested to see what you guys think. For my own opinion? I think we need a midfielder that can affect the game in a similar way that Callum Ainley was before his injury (Admittedly, he was somewhat inconsistent in his success. He is the very definition of 'mercurial'. However, if he was that consistent, he wouldn't be playing for us). We've really missed that 'X' factor of a midfielder that can go past players, pick a pass and get in the box. I also think we need a someone like Stephen Walker that we had last season. His direct running at defences scared them to death and he had that desire and ability to get into goal scoring positions. However, if it meant risking our financial stability, I would be more than happy to continue on with what we've got. Apart from that, and maybe the offloading of one of our centre halves (Nolan?) just to get a player we're not really utilising off our wage bill, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    Sort of normal for this time of year, I know, to be looking at the upcoming transfer window. But I thought I'd put it out there to see what everyone thinks. even more than most years, there's a lot of factors to consider going into January's transfer window.
    • Do we actually need any new players in?
    • Who, if anyone, do we need to ship out; whether that be on loan or permanently?
    • Given the Covid-19 pandemic, is it more important to keep the purse strings tight or, given the fact that we're riding high(ish), should we be backing the manager to achieve the impossible?
    • If we do need players; who/what position do we need?

I'd be really interested to see what you guys think. For my own opinion? I think we need a midfielder that can affect the game in a similar way that Callum Ainley was before his injury (Admittedly, he was somewhat inconsistent in his success. He is the very definition of 'mercurial'. However, if he was that consistent, he wouldn't be playing for us). We've really missed that 'X' factor of a midfielder that can go past players, pick a pass and get in the box. I also think we need a someone like Stephen Walker that we had last season. His direct running at defences scared them to death and he had that desire and ability to get into goal scoring positions. However, if it meant risking our financial stability, I would be more than happy to continue on with what we've got. Apart from that, and maybe the offloading of one of our centre halves (Nolan?) just to get a player we're not really utilising off our wage bill, that's it.
    In the words of the old Italian Master “We will go with what we’ve got”

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think the question will be "how many will be moving out?" We need a regular source of goals. Mandron/Porter will get safely into double figures but we another to achieve that level. The rest of the team are scoring but not quite enough. So a number 10 to rival Finney. Any others would merely be to fill in for those who leave. Knowing the club's attitude and finances, that's not going to happen.
    Pickering and Wintle are the ones we may lose. These are also the ones we'll miss most.

More importantly than the players, we need to hope that Dave and Kenny don’t get any tempting offers.

Money is so tight and we are even seeing belt tightening in the premiership , I feel there will be no departures or arrivals at our club,

If there are, it will be one out, one in I suspect. Most at risk will be Pixie, I think. I read that Norwich are unhappy with their replacement for Lewis and they are the sort of club and team that would suit him. We have sold to them in the past, of course, so offers from them or other regulars Peterborough (where Fergie is an admirer of our style) wouldn’t be a great surprise.

If the past couple of windows are any guide, Dave and Kenny already know who they’d want should anyone leave, whether that replacement is permanent or on loan. Personally I’m very happy with the squad, but a Mandron clone wouldn’t go amiss!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    If there are, it will be one out, one in I suspect. Most at risk will be Pixie, I think. I read that Norwich are unhappy with their replacement for Lewis and they are the sort of club and team that would suit him. We have sold to them in the past, of course, so offers from them or other regulars Peterborough (where Fergie is an admirer of our style) wouldn’t be a great surprise.

If the past couple of windows are any guide, Dave and Kenny already know who they’d want should anyone leave, whether that replacement is permanent or on loan. Personally I’m very happy with the squad, but a Mandron clone wouldn’t go amiss!
    I can't remember his name but the lad they signed was from Colchester? I think DA said at the time that they had signed the wrong full back

Would prefer that no-one left unless on loan. Mandron needs a partner upfront, but the start to the season has been very positive. Maybe convert a few 0-1s to draws.

We have a very strong squad but additions are also welcome. Yes I think we will lose Pixie and any money coming in will go into keeping the club afloat. Every club is letting players go so there will be a glut available in the transfer window coming up . Some clubs because of financial matters will let good players go and others will let go fringe players with potential. It is down to our management team to sort out the chaff from the wheat to find the gems that will make our squad even better. Going to be an interesting January transfer period.