+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: January Transfer Window

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Really odd stuff. I assume it's for exactly the same amount as "we" paid for him?

Question for me is... if he was always going to move on to Atlanta... was he never really meant to play for us in the meantime... or was he just not good enough to play for us... or did McInnes just never pick him because it was never his idea to sign him in the first place?

I assume that given "we" never really spent the money in the first place, we won't have an extra £850K to throw around in the transfer window. I wonder if we'll end up with some guff player from Atlanta joining us on loan for the second part of the season.
    That's how I see it. Well I hope that's how it went as that's the best of a bad situation. If we spunked £850k on a player and McInnes was just too belligerent to play him then that would be outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    That's how I see it. Well I hope that's how it went as that's the best of a bad situation. If we spunked £850k on a player and McInnes was just too belligerent to play him then that would be outrageous.
    What was the point in giving him a 4 year deal? Was that just to make it look less obvious that it was dodgy? Or have Atlanta basically given him that deal and basically been paying his wages all this time, maybe with instruction to keep him fit, but don't play him incase he picks up an injury or something. It will be interesting to track his career and see how good (or not) the guy actually is.

If we're being used as a front for iffy transfers on behalf of our American investors then hell mend the club and the "strategic partnership". Fingers crossed that isn't the case but something doesn't add up here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Max View Post
    If we're being used as a front for iffy transfers on behalf of our American investors then hell mend the club and the "strategic partnership". Fingers crossed that isn't the case but something doesn't add up here.
    If it is legal and we get a decent European player for a year or two, then I am okay with that. Way better than “getting a shottie” of players from the mhinks.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepcrooky View Post
    If it is legal and we get a decent European player for a year or two, then I am okay with that. Way better than “getting a shottie” of players from the mhinks.
    AFC should never EVER be dealing with the minks

As for the Yank connection, it stinks, "legal" is a bendy sort of concept.

Of course I have to take into account that the most skillful player I ever saw in a Dons shirt didn't exactly join us under squeaky clean circumstances.

I suppose, like most fitba fans, I'm against it until they score.*

* except for tims and huns.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    What was the point in giving him a 4 year deal? Was that just to make it look less obvious that it was dodgy? Or have Atlanta basically given him that deal and basically been paying his wages all this time, maybe with instruction to keep him fit, but don't play him incase he picks up an injury or something. It will be interesting to track his career and see how good (or not) the guy actually is.
    It's messy indeed. Maybe you can't blame McInnes for not playing him if he was only to be sent over after a year (although he loves a loan from Celtic).

It would be nice to get a bit of clarity by the club.

We'll soon find oot - by default - if we give away 'our' marquee 850 grand signing on a sweetheart freebie deal to our Stateside buddies

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post

Of course I have to take into account that the most skillful player I ever saw in a Dons shirt didn't exactly join us under squeaky clean circumstances.

Zoltan Varga? Remind me what the circumstances were around is brief dalliance with the Dons? Was he banned from playing for Ajax or something?

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Zoltan Varga? Remind me what the circumstances were around is brief dalliance with the Dons? Was he banned from playing for Ajax or something?
    He was banned for bribery offences when he played for Hertha BSC. The ban didn’t apply here, so he signed for us, but got out as soon as he could to join Ajax when Cruyff left for Barcelona.

A stellar player in an average squad. A bit like Eoin Jess, he just missed out on playing in the fuucking superb team of 70-72.

EDIT: 70-72 typically (1-11) Clark, Boel, Hermiston, Murray, McMillan, Buchan, Forrest, Robb, Harper, Willoughby, Graham. Up there with the 82-86 squad as far as I’m concerned.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 30-12-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Better than Brazil

Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast