+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead - Old AFC Left Back

... Ah think Ah would even PEY for the Green Final tae read that letter

Reminds ma o' the time masel and a wee squad o' Woodside ne'er-do-wells took a' walk fae Ferriers tae the beach, as we would often dae on a weekend or school holidays ... and strolled abbot Pittodrie hopin tae catch sight o' the odd player, maybe get an autograph ....

This one time, we spotted an oddity .... and the conversation as best I can remember was thus ....

"Check the lanky ginger nut!"
    "Fa? .. him ower there?"
    "Aye ... the ginger boy wi the glaiket face"
    "At's the new boy ... fitseezname ... McLeish? ... meant tae be pretty good like"
    "Ah OK ... so we canna batter him then .... "

Eddie Turnbull told me that him and Bobby Calder were the only spectators at a Tranent Juniors game at Prestonpans, under an umbrella in monsoon conditions, to watch Willie Young (now also suffering dementia, poor loon), but worth it, as they signed him at the final whistle.

The day he arrived at Pittodrie, the backroom staff were almost lost for words. “What’s this you’ve brought us now, Ned?” they enquired of The Man Who Was Boss When Bruce Springs**** Was Still Buying Clearasil By The Vat. Eddie sympathi***, since, in his own words, “There wasnae a pun o him hingin the right way”. An expression I cherish.

EDIT: the **** are these asterisks for Sibo, ye erse?
    Last edited by 57vintage; 26-12-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: As influential as Herrera

Ah see the word sεx is a no-no .... shame aboot yer typo min ... maybe yer as pished as I am ....

... but jist for spite, Ah'm gan tae type a string o' words which would be 'banned' as a protest .... or tae demonstrate the pure stupidity and futility o' the restriction.

sεxtant, sεxton, Middlesεx, Essεx, Sussεx, Wessεx, sεxual, sεxy, sεxtuplets, unisεx, heterosεxual, homosεxual, transεxual, sεxtet, ..... and there's hunners mair! ... but ... why would anybody wish tae obscure such a lovely word as 'sεxagesima' ??

..... onywye .... sorry ... far wis we? ... Aye, Chic McLelland ...

I didn't see Chic play for the Dons but I did see him for Montrose at a snowbound Pittodrie evening in January 1986 on Scottish Cup duty.

I was actually sitting in a seat that night (in the Main Stand next to the tunnel) with complimentary tickets received from Chic. In the 1980s he was a salesman (for typewriting equipment I think) and use to give tickets to my Mum. By all accounts, a thoroughly decent chap.

I also have a fondness for Montrose, and he and Doug Rougvie were co- managers at Links Park in the second tier of Scottish football when I first visited although they were replaced later that season by Jim Leishman.

Chic?

Gave something away?

Well I would have liked to have seem that.

I sold him a pair of specs once, I had to buy in especially cheap and s’hitey stuff just to meet the price he was prepared to pay, and even then I doubt I broke even.

A fine loon though nonetheless.

A deserved dignified and respectful tribute from the club.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/12/27/in-...hic-mclelland/

Always remember that left arm raised as he crossed the ball. Always a decent player. So many lost, my hero's as a youngster, making me feel old. Goodbye all, you gave this boy (then)a great deal of pleasure.

RIP, mind Chic well from the good days under Ally McLeod et al.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Billy’s hat trick was in 75 v the wanchors, and I recall girning whingeing greeting and splenetic letters, poorly punctuated too, full of split infinitives and ill-judged gerunds, in the Green Final complaining that we should have won by about 40 more goals, and that that left half Willie Miller wouldn’t ever amount to anything.

Thank goodness our supporters are more appreciative nowadays.

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...5&squad=Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    A deserved dignified and respectful tribute from the club.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/12/27/in-...hic-mclelland/
    Was he only 63?
    Seems that Afc and Wikipedia have posted conflicting ages , club says 63 and wiki says 67 .........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast