+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This time ........... leading into January 2017

This time ........... leading into January 2017

We were in a very similar position to what we are now.
    One or two points away from the top six.
    But then we all know what happened when the January transfer window opened.
    And it’s taken all these years to recover from that.
    Directors take note.
    Fingers crossed we will add a few this time - instead of having a fire sale.
    IMO - we had the team and the impetus in December 2016 to go all the way to promotion.
    Especially if one or two other players were added.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    We were in a very similar position to what we are now.
    One or two points away from the top six.
    But then we all know what happened when the January transfer window opened.
    And it’s taken all these years to recover from that.
    Directors take note.
    Fingers crossed we will add a few this time - instead of having a fire sale.
    IMO - we had the team and the impetus in December 2016 to go all the way to promotion.
    Especially if one or two other players were added.
    All we can do is hope no large bids come in for Woodrow or Mowatt. A few will ev their eye on Styles too no doubt, same wi Callum Brittain. The PMG are born business men. Need I say more.

Just about the last thing I wan to see is this club fluke the play offs and win it .

Just about throws the whole project under the bus in my opinion .

We simply aren't ready as a club to even contemplate that event .

Hopefully one day yes , brick by brick and bit by bit with the right foundations in place .

Results aren't an indication of everything Nudge .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just about the last thing I wan to see is this club fluke the play offs and win it .

Just about throws the whole project under the bus in my opinion .

We simply aren't ready as a club to even contemplate that event .

Hopefully one day yes , brick by brick and bit by bit with the right foundations in place .

Results aren't an indication of everything Nudge .
    It's a fair point. However, if the unimaginable does happen and we go up then it increases our profile and revenue tremendously. Providing that we dont fall into the trap of spending daft amounts of money then it would speed up the process of what we're building. All pie in the sky and a crazy hypothetical situation I know but never say never in football.

Burnley managed to go up under Dyche in 2014. Like us they were under prepared and came straight back darn again after not spending stupidly. Their profile raised despite relegation and they planned an assault on the championship by bringing in better players and got automatic promotion back to the Premier and have been theear since.

The slow method is the correct way in an ideal world. Look at Brentford for example. They've built year on year and are now a Championship big hitter, amongst the favourites before a ball is kicked and rightly so. You feel that it's when they go up rather than if.

Our project can take 10 years. Its abart building our profile year upon year. Bringing in the right players and selling one of them every season for big money. That money then enables our own transfer kitty and transfer targets to be more high profile than at present.

We do need a mid table season this year though and that means keeping this team together. If mid table is achieved then sell Woodrow or Styles for big money by all means. We then have a bigger budget to find a replacement.

Our mistake as a club over the last 4 years has been selling too many at once. Replacing the spine of a team with our modest budget and survival in this division is a near on impossible. We somehow managed to do it last season, God knows how but we did. It was a huge hurdle to clear. We've built on that and we must carry on building but sensibly.

If we were to sell Styles, Woodrow, Anderson and Mowatt leaves this summer then we may as well chalk feck on this project cos wid be back to square one again. If 2 out of the four leave then we can manage fine and bring in that better quality which keeps some kind of momentum.

The sooner we get to the Premier the better.
    If the club is relegated the season after it’s still worth about £120 million.
    This will provide the owners with an income from their investment - which in turn will give them more confidence to invest further.
    We as fans - should be hoping the directors get as much benefit from owning the club as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    We as fans - should be hoping the directors get as much benefit from owning the club as possible.

Why?

I'm not suggesting it can't be done or that I'm not ambitious .

The PL is a double edges sword and has the capacity to completely destroy you if you haven't the right infrastructure in place .

Players don't sign for you they sign for the PL and the massive money and four or five of them in your squad and before long your identity is gone .

It's ok saying take the money and go down but it wouldn't be too long when your getting hammered every week that it becomes a difficult experience and embarrassing .

In an ideal world you'd want to be promoted with a competitive team and add two or three , probably somewhere the blunts were last season and were able to retain their culture and identity .

Even then it can be easily lost as they've found out when they've spent bigger money .

If we can get somewhere near to where Brentford are over the coming years then I'd be more enthusiastic about it to be honest and we are a long way from that even sitting 8th in the championship .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'm not suggesting it can't be done or that I'm not ambitious .

The PL is a double edges sword and has the capacity to completely destroy you if you haven't the right infrastructure in place .

Players don't sign for you they sign for the PL and the massive money and four or five of them in your squad and before long your identity is gone .

It's ok saying take the money and go down but it wouldn't be too long when your getting hammered every week that it becomes a difficult experience and embarrassing .

In an ideal world you'd want to be promoted with a competitive team and add two or three , probably somewhere the blunts were last season and were able to retain their culture and identity .

Even then it can be easily lost as they've found out when they've spent bigger money .

If we can get somewhere near to where Brentford are over the coming years then I'd be more enthusiastic about it to be honest and we are a long way from that even sitting 8th in the championship .

Some fair points there Animal. We should be looking to emulate Brentford in the next few years, that has to be our aim. If we can get this club up to their level then I'd be happy. Slow burner is this as you've said on other threads.

Personally I'm just enjoying the fact that we have an exciting and competitive team and are well away from relegation. We are going into games this season wi more optimism and I've enjoyed what I've seen that's for sure.

It has been a struggle to recover in the 4 years since, I agree Nudger.
    A Burnley fan was asking me today ''hey Acido, Barnsley for the Prem ?'' lol.
    Maybe a bit sarcy of course, but I said no way because we never do well in the January 'windows'.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Some fair points there Animal. We should be looking to emulate Brentford in the next few years, that has to be our aim. If we can get this club up to their level then I'd be happy. Slow burner is this as you've said on other threads.

Personally I'm just enjoying the fact that we have an exciting and competitive team and are well away from relegation. We are going into games this season wi more optimism and I've enjoyed what I've seen that's for sure.
    In my opinion a club of our size with these kind of aspirations have to be something completely different to achieve PL status .

Again I'd refer to the blunts rise from League One .

You see far too many get absorbed by the money and fall in to the same trap , Huddersfield are a classic example of losing their identity and get sucked in by the PL .

Some of the players they bought for £14m etc were truly horrendous both in terms of ability and attitude and they very nearly fell down to league one last season as a consequence .

The money is long gone and sat in ex players bank accounts who couldn't give a feck about em .

Bradford City have never recovered from their two PL seasons and Blackpool's troubles were well documented albeit for ownership reasons .

If Brentford go up this season I reckon they'll stick around in the PL personally .

Fantastically well run club and shyte hot at recruitment , when you look at Wednesday and Brentford it's almost laughable by comparison .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast