+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Trends of coaches

Trends of coaches

Just thinking about our "style" of play under Cabbage Heed and I think it's possibly a follow on from the way the coaches played themselves as players.

More notable ones.

Bruce, defender, ultra defensive.
    Rafa, defender, tends towards defensive.
    Allardice, defender, no comment.
    King Kev, ultra attacker. Virtually all out attack.
    Sir Bobby, attacking midfielder. Attack minded.
    Chris Hughton, attacking midfielder. Attack minded.
    Beardsley(briefly), attacker. Attack minded.

Anyone got any other ideas.

Joe Kinnear. Shite player, shite manager.

Pardew? See above.

As for Bruce, I'm sure the irony is not lost on anyone that for someone who was such a good defender, his teams can't defend for shit.

Carver, non-league defender, non-league skill set as manager.

Chris Hughton was a full back, never an attacking midfielder.

During his years at Brighton and Norwich this was always brought up as the reason why his teams always played so defensively.

Interesting. Zidane aside I'd say there is a definate trend of average players becoming great managers.

Jose, Wenger, Fergie, Sacchi, Van Gaal.

Jose was an average midfielder and widely known as the interpreter for Sir Bob so maybe he learnt a thing or two along the way while translating. Fergie a prolific bottom end striker and general cnt took this style into management.

Quote Originally Posted by KemptownMag View Post
    Chris Hughton was a full back, never an attacking midfielder.

During his years at Brighton and Norwich this was always brought up as the reason why his teams always played so defensively.
    Chris Hughton began life as a winger Kemp, but was converted to full back at Spuds being able to play on either left or right.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Chris Hughton began life as a winger Kemp, but was converted to full back at Spuds being able to play on either left or right.
    Well, he may well have been a winger as a youngster. but I don't recall him playing there much, if at all, for the first team and Spurs were my "London team" when I lived there in the 70s.
    Calling him a winger would be like calling Malcolm Macdonald a full back because he started off playing there.

Chris was also my neighbour in Brighton. When we first met, my wife, with typical candour, expressed her surprise that he was quite small. His reply - "Well I was just a full back".

It was probably different in his short spell at SJP, where he inherited a talented squad, but his teams at Norwich and Brighton were notable for playing defensive football.
    I remember a Norwich fan telling me, shortly after Hughton's arrival at the Amex, "You know what you get with Chris - defence, defence, defence".

His last year here in Brighton was a nightmare, with the fans constantly criticising the style of play.
    Possession stats were very similar to those achieved today by Bruce's teams.
    He was appreciated for keeping Albion in the Premier League, but the fans were not unduly upset when he left, for that very reason.

Yes, I'll give you all that Kemptown except his "short" spell at Newcastle was a season and a half. More than some.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)