+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid season reflection

Quote Originally Posted by southwestarab View Post
    Too right a lot can happen. Ross County were as high as fifth in the first few weeks of the season and look where they are now.
    With all due respect, I don't think you can really use the first few weeks of a season as as an example for the possibilities that can happen 8 months later. League form and placings are all over the place until players get fit, teams settle etc.

6 wins in 21 games doesn't sound like top six does it? Anyway we are so stuff it. Points target for 38 games maybe double our current points in the remaining 17 games makes 50 points. Not being over-optimistic really?
    OH AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Firstly Happy New Year Everyone. This includes Middle Eastern Sanitary Technician whom I hope sees this.

My view is that we need to aim for 6th or above. This means our battle against relegation lasts only 33 games instead of 38. As things stand there is little between 5th-6th and bottom of the league. A couple of good or bad weeks can transform the prospects for any team within these parameters.

We are weak in many departments and have been punching above our weight to be where we are. The loss of Fuchs is going to be telling. I fear we will have to sign one or two new players at least in the January window to try and guarantee our safety in this league. Every other team in our position will be thinking likewise, but some more than others will be really financially restrained. As the season wears on I am expecting to see more 'in your face' type approaches from other teams as the battle to avoid relegation becomes more desperate. This does not suit us.
    Last edited by RAM1971; 01-01-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Would have taken the position we are in now, at the turn of the year, at the beginning of the season all day long. Was looking for comfortable survival this season as a goal and we are well on the way towards that. There have been disappointments, sure, but we are in a position to end up top six and taking into account where we have been at times over the past 5 years that is real progress. Unfortunately I don't see us getting into Tannadice this season and look forward to next season in the Premier with a side suited to challenge for the European spots and competitive in the cups.

Happy New Year to all.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    6 wins in 21 games doesn't sound like top six does it? Anyway we are so stuff it. Points target for 38 games maybe double our current points in the remaining 17 games makes 50 points. Not being over-optimistic really?
    OH AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Points target is surely enough to keep us in the division, which over the last 5 seasons has been somewhere between 33-37 points.

Some good posts here, to be slightly controversial I would agree with Stoke in that we are around 4 players short of being comparable quality wise with the best of the rest.
    Ogren needs to be given a reality check as to the reality of what this squad can achieve
    By that I mean I wouldnt want top 6 this year if no recruitment added in Jan window, Ogren may think no further investment needed as he has a top 6 squad.

Investing in 4 or so quality players sends a big statement to us and other clubs
    No investment will give me the fear for next seasons mid term report

The ogrens want top 6 and European football. The closer we can get to that the better.

It will be MASSIVE bonus if we can get 5th and Europe this season

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    Some good posts here, to be slightly controversial I would agree with Stoke in that we are around 4 players short of being comparable quality wise with the best of the rest.
    Ogren needs to be given a reality check as to the reality of what this squad can achieve
    By that I mean I wouldnt want top 6 this year if no recruitment added in Jan window, Ogren may think no further investment needed as he has a top 6 squad.

Investing in 4 or so quality players sends a big statement to us and other clubs
    No investment will give me the fear for next seasons mid term report
    I still don't accept that we are safe yet.To give me and i suspect many others peace of mind i need to see us playing a relegation rival and dominating the match from start to finish.
    Its still a worry to me when i hear that relegation rivals are beating or drawing with Hibs and the Sheep whilst throwing caution to the wind and getting tore into them.
    We of course have also managed draws against them but only after surviving several kitchen sinks being thrown at us first.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I still don't accept that we are safe yet.To give me and i suspect many others peace of mind i need to see us playing a relegation rival and dominating the match from start to finish.
    Its still a worry to me when i hear that relegation rivals are beating or drawing with Hibs and the Sheep whilst throwing caution to the wind and getting tore into them.
    We of course have also managed draws against them but only after surviving several kitchen sinks being thrown at us first.
    At the end of the day mate, the only thing that keeps you in this league are the points on the board. It doesn't matter how you get them. We can dominate whatever team you like, but if we don't get the points, then it matters not a jot, Kilmarnock away for example.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    At the end of the day mate, the only thing that keeps you in this league are the points on the board. It doesn't matter how you get them. We can dominate whatever team you like, but if we don't get the points, then it matters not a jot, Kilmarnock away for example.
    Yes i know that mate but when i mentioned dominating relegation rivals i was meaning a hammering being administered at the same time.If for instance we were to play Accies and County and beat them both with ease i would sleep a lot easier.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)