+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Robbo resigns

Robbo resigns

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/...rwell-manager/

He certainly leaves with applause. All the best to him for the future, I imagine he'll be in demand again soon enough.

Lasley interim boss, fingers crossed for a reaction on Saturday.

Anybody thinking of renewing their season ticket for next season, bet Accies at the odds of over 3/1 on Saturday and your ticket will be paid for. Unless we sign 11 supermen by Saturday the new manager won’t be able to change our lot around in just over 48 hours. Some of our players are needing to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves in what way have they contributed to MOTHERWELL this season in a positive fashion.

I didn't expect him to walk but fair play to him. This really was the only sensible option at this point as it was clear for a while now that we were going nowhere under his management and that he could do no more.

He goes with my best wishes and I will forever be grateful to him for the lift he gave the club in season 2017/2018 after the dismal second tenure of Mark McGhee. The two Cup runs were very enjoyable and the whole club had a feelgood factor about it that year. His football wasn't always great to watch, indeed it was often awful, but we battled hard and got results but his signings and transfer dealings were becoming increasingly awful and it was definitely time for change.

I hope we make the right appointment now but I think it's a stock on that Lasley will get the job permanently, which would be the wrong move imo.

He's done the decent thing though no doubt he'll be compensated. He did well in getting us to 2 cup finals and finishing 3rd last season. However that credit in the bank only lasts so long. He couldn't live on it for ever. This year has been very poor culminating in a disaster last night. We now move on, but I wonder how much influence Keith Lasley has had on matters.

No one outside the club knows how much or little influence Lasley has. Plenty of experienced assistants do lots, you would have thought Lasley had more of a watching brief at least initially but we're just guessing.

Several 'lazy appointments' of assistants, including Robinson, have been successful. The club will analyse the applicants and may yet decide he's the best person for the job, as they did with Robbo.

He has the built-in advantage of being in place - two wins from the next two would vastly boost his chances. Indeed, for a hypothetical, he takes four or six points from two games and St Mirren/Killie fail in their appeals - we're virtually safe, we could offer him the job on a longer-term but still interim basis to the end of the season and decide carefully in peace whether he can cut it...

Of course the reverse holds true too, two losses and he's done and dusted regardless of how well he interviews.

Not sure I'd have pushed him just yet, but it was getting there and probably best for all that he walks on his own. Not interested in promoting Lasley I'm afraid, he's obviously failed to motivate the players too, and doesn't strike me as having a great footballing brain.

Quote Originally Posted by numpty13 View Post
    Not sure I'd have pushed him just yet, but it was getting there and probably best for all that he walks on his own.
    Can we move on from memory lane of cup finals and finishing 3rd as becoming to sound like those who reminisce England 1966 World Cup.
    We’re here TODAY due his appalling record in the transfer market and match day tactics with the dross he signed.
    He was fortunate Craigan provided youth players to save him the utter embarrassment when his signings first faltered.
    They all left and the downward spiral returned to current times. This is the best outcome, albeit several months late

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid View Post
    Can we move on from memory lane of cup finals and finishing 3rd as becoming to sound like those who reminisce England 1966 World Cup.
    Wasn't even considering that, it's in the past as you say. Just think we haven't actually looked beyond redemption in the past couple of games -- lacking ideas and confidence for sure, and certainly just quality in some cases. But even now I don't think it's necessarily going to take a massive overhaul to get us off and running again. Just a bit of a spark from somewhere -- which might have been from Robinson's January dealings, now it might be Keith Lasley's, which fills me with even less confidence -- and probably a chunk of luck.

Yes, the quality of our football has been awful all year, and ideally that needs addressing too. But I'm prepared to give any team a pass on that for now... other than perhaps Rangers, nobody in our league is exactly playing scintillating football, and I can't see that changing until things are more back to normal and we have crowds at games again.
    Last edited by numpty13; 31-12-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid View Post
    We’re here TODAY due his appalling record in the transfer market and match day tactics with the dross he signed.
    He was fortunate Craigan provided youth players to save him the utter embarrassment when his signings first faltered.
    They all left and the downward spiral returned to current times. This is the best outcome, albeit several months late
    Agreed.

Some of the worst football ever was played under Robbo.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG View Post
    Agreed.

Some of the worst football ever was played under Robbo.
    Can we have those players who recognize themselves as not performing to step up and offer their resignations?
    It sure would help the next boss. It's quite obvious to most of us who they are.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)