+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: End of year thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Got to point out how wrong you are on that rA, divisiveness is the dividing of opinion, Farage was a UNITING force, his only crime being that he united people in favour of something (Brexit obviously) that you don't agree with. describe him as a polarising personality and I'm with you, describe him as a liar and self publicist and although you're picking on one poor soul in a ****ing massive plague pit, fair go I'll give you those. But divisive, no, not unless you want to call all those on both sides of the Brexit debte divisive.
    Andy, Farage achieved 32.4% of the vote in his last, failed, attempt at becoming an MP.
    His other ‘scores’ were...1.7%, 5.7%, 7.8%, 5.0%, 8.1% and 17.4%. Not exactly the percentages of a ‘unifier’ and you can hardly fail to recognise that the country is probably more divided now than at any time in our lifetimes.
    I don’t deny that he inspires great support amongst the 37% or so of the electorate who supported Brexit but he is reviled by the rest and, unfortunately, I imagine such revulsion is only likely to grow as the inevitable truth of ‘our’ mistake becomes clearer.

Of course Farage is divisive, he is a right wing populist funded by the right wing elite, thats their modus operandi, to create confusion and division to pursue their agenda's which sure as hell does not include looking after the interests of the "ordinary person"!

I'm not sure how, dividing the country in half, if one takes the referendum result as 52-48 is being unifying!

Take heart rA, Trump was defeated even though he increased his share of the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

Take heart rA, Trump was defeated even though he increased his share of the vote!
    Indeed. Support from the ‘King of Europe’ didn’t seem to do him much good...taken it well though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Andy, Farage achieved 32.4% of the vote in his last, failed, attempt at becoming an MP.
    His other ‘scores’ were...1.7%, 5.7%, 7.8%, 5.0%, 8.1% and 17.4%. Not exactly the percentages of a ‘unifier’ and you can hardly fail to recognise that the country is probably more divided now than at any time in our lifetimes.
    I don’t deny that he inspires great support amongst the 37% or so of the electorate who supported Brexit but he is reviled by the rest and, unfortunately, I imagine such revulsion is only likely to grow as the inevitable truth of ‘our’ mistake becomes clearer.
    No he isn't 'reviled' by the rest, I'm sure there is a reasonable percentage that feel like that but many more either begrudgingly like his ability to 'shake things up', mildly dislike him, or have no real opinion either way. I don't revile him, in the same way as, for example I do Philip Green. There IS a sliding scale available between adoration and revulsion

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    No he isn't 'reviled' by the rest, I'm sure there is a reasonable percentage that feel like that but many more either begrudgingly like his ability to 'shake things up', mildly dislike him, or have no real opinion either way. I don't revile him, in the same way as, for example I do Philip Green. There IS a sliding scale available between adoration and revulsion
    He’s reviled by all genuine Remainers, which is just under 50% of those who voted and possibly more of the potential electorate. You may ‘begrudgingly like his ability to shake things up’ because you are a particularly half hearted ‘Remainer’, but anyone who inspires such levels of ‘adoration’ from his supporters and utter contempt from those who oppose him is, by definition, divisive

He’s reviled by all genuine Remainers, which is just under 50% of those who voted and possibly more of the potential electorate. You may ‘begrudgingly like his ability to shake things up’ because you are a particularly half hearted ‘Remainer’, but anyone who inspires such levels of ‘adoration’ from his supporters and utter contempt from those who oppose him is, by definition, divisive
    How many actually revile or care about him is a mute point, I'm just amazed that he pops up on the "left leaning" BBC to give his opinion on everything from Brexit to lockdowns!

The only people he shook up were the Tory party, and, lets face it, a good number of them needed no encouragement! Farage will be just a foot note in history, a rabble rouser who made a good living off the coat tails of successful politicians.

Farage maybe just a footnote in history to remainers but to leavers he will be up there with the greats!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Farage maybe just a footnote in history to remainers but to leavers he will be up there with the greats!
    Who are the other ‘greats’ he’s up there with then, MoP?

As regards your ‘snowman parable’ which was quite funny. I’m genuinely intrigued. Do you actually despair of all those causes? Do you have no time for racial/gender equality etc or are you just fed up with perceived ‘political correctness’ and find that it’s pushed you to the Right?

Genuinely interested. Also...what is your definition of a ‘snowflake’?

Who are the other ‘greats’ he’s up there with then, MoP?

As regards your ‘snowman parable’ which was quite funny. I’m genuinely intrigued. Do you actually despair of all those causes? Do you have no time for racial/gender equality etc or are you just fed up with perceived ‘political correctness’ and find that it’s pushed you to the Right?

Genuinely interested. Also...what is your definition of a ‘snowflake’?
    I guess as someone with a life away from this forum MOP might not reply any time soon, so he's my two penn'orth. I've stuck up for people of different clours/races, genders and I'll add different religious beliefs my whole life. My only issue (but as you know its a big one) is with those who act as apologists/PCers/virtue signallers for those minorities (and others) and by extension seek to demean those who have done nothing more in their lifetime than through accident of birth be a member of a majority group.

What's more concerning to me is that such behaviour is moving the country/world back to where it was 50 years ago, tolerance is wearing thin, acceptance even more so. Its happening in my daughter's village at present, a SINGLE, very militant member of a minority group has caused a hoo-haa about a minor issue, a very small but very vocal group of 'issue havers' have fallen in behind and its become more divisive than the Miners strike, forget Farage! And their response to ANY criticism is to draw the 'ism' card (I won't mention which one), effectively doing a Swale and name-calling their way to what they see as victory against an opposition that are in fact very much still there. and who's positions have either hardened or have become positions when they had none before, but are fed up with arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    ****ing stupid that what you are!

I started this as a non controversial funny thread and you wandered in and mentioned a self serving, bigot who is no more interested in Leavers (if there is such a general term) than Trump is in the voters who voted for him. Do please spell out in clear factual words exactly what he has done to be great?

How can someone who is an opportunistic populist, who spreads lies and falsehoods and makes money out of that deception be called "great"?

That you have any regard for a someone who is a right wing populist demonstrates both lack of judgement and complete ignorance, but then as I've repeated many times, not one Brexit supporter has been able to coherently state the upside of Brexit.

And to celebrate a deal where the EU got virtually everything it asked for (including fishing) at the start of negotiations and the UK got **** all, is perhaps the single clearest demonstration that most leaver's brains atrophied a long time ago!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)