+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Thread

I can't work out why throughout the summer when lockdown ended and people hit the beaches & holidayed abroad that the rates & hospitalisations stayed so low then an explosion of cases as soon as the schools went back, perhaps universities were more significant as the students are a national group vs a local group in schools.

Then - schools close over Christmas and cases surge again, beginning with the ending of partial lockdown very early December. Wales have had greater restrictions for longer but that doesn't appear to be doing anything. I know some will break the rules no matter what but most people I've seen are wearing masks and taking steps to put space between themselves & others wherever possible. I think that has always been so (in other words we are comparing ourselves against ourselves summer into winter), so what is going on?

Just when I thought I was near the finish line, slam dunk and back to bed with a fever! With eveyone now affected in my household, its just one big germbag I'm thinking of putting an X on my front door.
    Feeling better today but we are all coughing and feel like craps.
    Not sure how much longer this is going for but will be so glad once it has finally cleared up. Still cannot understand some people thinking its a hoax, believe me, you do not want it but I fear it will get worse before it gets better.
    Stay safe everyone, keep washing your hands and wearing the masks.
    How you doing Miss Winnie?

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    I can't work out why throughout the summer when lockdown ended and people hit the beaches & holidayed abroad that the rates & hospitalisations stayed so low then an explosion of cases as soon as the schools went back, perhaps universities were more significant as the students are a national group vs a local group in schools.

Then - schools close over Christmas and cases surge again, beginning with the ending of partial lockdown very early December. Wales have had greater restrictions for longer but that doesn't appear to be doing anything. I know some will break the rules no matter what but most people I've seen are wearing masks and taking steps to put space between themselves & others wherever possible. I think that has always been so (in other words we are comparing ourselves against ourselves summer into winter), so what is going on?
    Your experience of seeing that most people complying is interesting, Westy. I've been pretty much housebound since I caught the virus at the end of August, so not able to see for myself, but I hear different things from different people. Where my Mum lives, for example, she says people are very sensible and apart from a few, most appear to be complying. However, others tell me that social distancing has gone out of the window where they live, people carelessly barging into each other in supermarkets, mask pulled down under their chin, or under their nose, people pulling down their mask to ask a shop assistant where something is etc.

I was listening to a Professor who works on an ICU ward - a powerful, angry interview where he described the scenes in his ward, saying that people as young as their 30s were on ventilators, and that each person who doesn't wear a mask or properly socially distance has blood on his hands. He describes being called back to the hospital to attend to a pregnant woman who was seriously ill with covid, stopping off to fill up with petrol on the way, and feeling so angry at seeing one man not wearing a mask there. He basically said that if that one man was carrying the virus, then he could easily infect 4 people in the petrol station, and that is the way it is so easily spreads and multiplies - that one, single, act of negligence could result in 100s of thousands of people contracting covid.

Basically, from this and other things I hear, it's not just the flagrant, outrageous rule breakers of party goers etc who are causing problems, that these little breaches, are making their mark over time, especially 1 in 3 people infected not showing symptoms. People think just having their one friend over isn't doing any harm, that it doesn't matter if they forget to wash their hands before venturing out, and nobody else is doing it, so it's ok. But it's not ok. And all these people thinking they are the only ones pushing boundaries add up. I think when we moved from summer into autumn, people moved indoors, where they weren't visible, and I suspect this lack of visibility meant that social distancing went out of the window too, and obviously although the pics of crowds on the beach looked terrible, they were, at least outdoors, on a hot day, so probably transmission rates were low. Also, I think it was possible for a while, for people to see way too many people, while being able to say they were sticking to the rules.

There are always time lags with rates of infection too, so an infection rate at any given time always reflects what has happened a few weeks' earlier. For example, I've heard it said that the four days notice we were given before lockdown was a disaster, as we saw hordes filling pubs etc, desperate to get their last night out - but the effect wasn't seen until 3 weeks into lockdown.

But as you say, Wales has had tighter restrictions and it's been spreading like wildfire there, so this new, highly infectious strain is really scary.
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 07-01-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    Just when I thought I was near the finish line, slam dunk and back to bed with a fever! With eveyone now affected in my household, its just one big germbag I'm thinking of putting an X on my front door.
    Feeling better today but we are all coughing and feel like craps.
    Not sure how much longer this is going for but will be so glad once it has finally cleared up. Still cannot understand some people thinking its a hoax, believe me, you do not want it but I fear it will get worse before it gets better.
    Stay safe everyone, keep washing your hands and wearing the masks.
    How you doing Miss Winnie?
    Hi Dave

I'm so sorry, all your family are now affected.

Yes, I totally relate to feeling much better, thinking this is it, then bam!

I get so mad at people saying this is a hoax too, but what the families of those who have lost loved ones to covid, and the Drs and nurses working on the ICU wards at the moment must feel is unimaginable. I hear medics were in tears at the protests outside the hospital in London.

Stronger overall now Dave, but it still keeps hanging around, waiting to bite me in vulnerable moments. Had a bad day yesterday - soooo tired, and when I get that tired, it's like I get a mini return to swollen glands, sore throat, aches, foggy brain (no smartypants comments Oz ). Luckily I didn't get any breathing issues yesterday though. Had a good sleep and feeling better today. I'm resigned it's going to take a while to get properly better - just trying to look after myself as best as I can. I can't control the virus but just hoping if I take care of my health, my body will do the rest ...

Yes, please stay safe everyone. This virus isn't just about people on ICU wards and death rates - it can be so disabling to those not lucky enough to get over it in the first few weeks ...
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 07-01-2021 at 07:13 PM.

This is a snippet of the interview with the ICU Professor that I listened to ... just 4 mins of it ...

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1344543533173190663

As Dave mentioned it, a response from a junior doctor to those pushing covid conspiracy theories ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...avirus-deniers

Take care everyone xxx

Westy, sorry, I meant to suggest that the Rishi's dishes thing may have contributed too ... Happened in August, then we hit September, and see the results ...

You're probably right there Win, a combination of factors creating the perfect storm - over 1100 deaths announced today, how long before it becomes 2,000+.

Yes, I think it was the 2nd highest number of deaths recorded since the start of the pandemic, and no sign of peaking which it did last time - really scary times. Take good care, Westy xx

I will Win and you do the same chick - I'm sure all of you on here will be pleased to learn that your favourite villan from the Westcountry is going to be doing his bit for the cause by vaccinating the good people of Northeast Somerset later this month. Although it's not the ***iest of jobs, I am very pleased to have the opportunity to help for a few days or maybe more.

Keep safe everyone.

Good for you, Westy! I have no doubt you will save lives. Feeling very proud of our Westcountry Villan!! xx

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)