+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T - Are there ANY good Broadband providers

Just done a speed test with nobody else using the Broadband.
    14Mb/second for £60 a month (inc phone)
    I am calling BT today to get the system checked out, I can't carry on like this.

Plusnet all the way. Used to have virgin and it was useless, changed to Plusnet and its 4 times as quick although not sure if me being in Yorkshire makes it quicker as it's Yorkshire based. Even my IT department at work said it was really quick as been working from home so yeah Plusnet all the way.

Vodafone seems ok. Get 25 - 30Mb most of the time but all networks slow down at varying times. Unless you get Sky or Virgin, all other networks use the BT line so the same problems could exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    I am calling BT today to get the system checked out, I can't carry on like this.
    If you get 14Mb per sec most of the time, that is not too bad. You should be able to do most things with 14Mb per sec

just done a speed test with all 3 of us using it - 10.39 Mb/sec

If BT own PlusNet and presumably provide the infrastructure, how come PlusNet gets much better reviews than BT itself ?
    If I switch to PlusNet, am I almost guaranteed a better service/uptime ?

Wow, £60pm! What package is that? Are you on Fibre2?

Can't recall exactly where now but there is a page on the BT system that tells you what your theoretical maximum is and what you are actually getting. I'll dig deeper if you are interested.

I believe that my theoretical max is about 20Mbits/second (not Megabyte!!). That is purely due to the distance from where I am to the nearest cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Wow, £60pm! What package is that? Are you on Fibre2?

Can't recall exactly where now but there is a page on the BT system that tells you what your theoretical maximum is and what you are actually getting. I'll dig deeper if you are interested.

I believe that my theoretical max is about 20Mbits/second (not Megabyte!!). That is purely due to the distance from where I am to the nearest cabinet.
    Not sure exactly what technology I get.
    Other people have also said that if you are a long way from the nearest cabinet that can really impact the performance/uptime.
    There are 2 dark green cabinets about 300 yards from me but think they have 02 on them.
    Are the BT cabinets easy to identify ? (apart from saying BT on them obviously)
    I will have a walk at lunchtime.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I've been using Three's 'HomeFi' for almost 4 years and have never had any issues. It's basically mobile 4g but with a mains powered router.
    I wish. Lucky to get a Three 3g signal. But what's your data limit(s) and at what costs? Oh right ~£25/month unlimited - that's pretty neat. Maybe I should try sticking a 4g aerial up on the roof.

If BT own PlusNet and presumably provide the infrastructure, how come PlusNet gets much better reviews than BT itself ?
    If I switch to PlusNet, am I almost guaranteed a better service/uptime ?
    Not sure mate but my mum has BT and ours is quicker than hers and she doesn't live too far from me, I'm not sure why plusnet is good but it does get good reviews. Ours is £28 a month, we were paying virgin more for half the service.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast