+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The blockade of Qatar is over

The blockade of Qatar is over

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...mbargo-nations

So after 3 yrs Saudi, the UAE, Egypt & Bahrain have reconciled the diplomatic differences with Qatar.

Gulf leaders signed a ‘solidarity and stability’ agreement towards ending the diplomatic rift at a GCC summit in Saudi Arabia.

Basically this means that BeIN sport will be once again broadcast in Saudi, ending the issues the PL have with rights in KSA.

This doesn't really mean much but it certainly removes one of the seemingly major stumbling blocks for the take over by the PiF.

Can't be bad news.

I was thinking about this before. The Chronicle had an article on it with the byline being that hopes are growing...but I refused to read it because I'm not going to get my hopes up any more.

Anyway, back to my thinking I'm not sure how significant this could be because if it did change things as far as the PL were cooncerned then it would prove that they were in the pockets of the Qataris and I don't think they'd allow themselves to be open to those accusations to that extent.

I think for the takeover to happen, something has to change on the Saudi side-maybe in the way the ownership is structured. I know that we're in danger of developing a persecution complex but I genuinely believe there are powers much closer to home who are against this takeover as well as the Qataris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...mbargo-nations

So after 3 yrs Saudi, the UAE, Egypt & Bahrain have reconciled the diplomatic differences with Qatar.

Gulf leaders signed a ‘solidarity and stability’ agreement towards ending the diplomatic rift at a GCC summit in Saudi Arabia.

Basically this means that BeIN sport will be once again broadcast in Saudi, ending the issues the PL have with rights in KSA.

This doesn't really mean much but it certainly removes one of the seemingly major stumbling blocks for the take over by the PiF.

Can't be bad news.
    to be honest Ragatino, if the PL had any sense whatsoever, they could say the piracy and diplomatic issues surrounding its major partner Qatar were the reason for the bid stalling and they can now pass the takeover.

This way its done and settled and they look like they have stood by their sponsors etc.

Although these clowns will let it go to court and get shown up no doubt

Aye, good point Tanya.

The prem need the money to come in, I think regardless of structure - now this has been sorted it might be looked on much more favourably.

As you said though Zip, no point getting hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post

I genuinely believe there are powers much closer to home who are against this takeover as well as the Qataris.

This has been my concern from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    This has been my concern from the beginning.
    Of course, you are right. The Prem is not run by it's appointed committee, for yonks it has been under the strict control of a handful of clubs and it is going to take a very messy, dirty restructuring of this to break up the stranglehold of the said darling, favourite said clubs who aren't going to relinquish their power hold very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Of course, you are right. The Prem is not run by it's appointed committee, for yonks it has been under the strict control of a handful of clubs and it is going to take a very messy, dirty restructuring of this to break up the stranglehold of the said darling, favourite said clubs who aren't going to relinquish their power hold very easily.
    I think the only thing to break it up would be the creation of the Euro super league, which is why I’m in favor of the latter!

Nick De Marco QC
    @nickdemarco_
    ·
    5h
    #dryjanuary last night I tried some Kombucha an alcohol alternative. Didn’t make my own after reading l ‘May Cause Bloating and Digestive Distress’ or kill you. Didn’t like it much. Like green tea & ginger beer. Trouble is ordered a load of cans. Maybe nice with vodka in Feb?

Right.....is Mike Ashley's lawyer just taking the piss? Or is he hinting becasue the 'cans' comment doesn't fit at all unless it's one or the other.

Nick De Marco QC
    @nickdemarco_
    ·
    5h
    #dryjanuary last night I tried some Kombucha an alcohol alternative. Didn’t make my own after reading l ‘May Cause Bloating and Digestive Distress’ or kill you. Didn’t like it much. Like green tea & ginger beer. Trouble is ordered a load of cans. Maybe nice with vodka in Feb?

Right.....is Mike Ashley's lawyer just taking the piss? Or is he hinting becasue the 'cans' comment doesn't fit at all unless it's one or the other.
    You’re only torturing yourself, man.

Nick De Marco QC
    @nickdemarco_
    ·
    5h

i agree with you zip,

theres a certain irony to this post of his. For an educated man, his grammar and choice of wording raises eyebrows.
    "I ordered a load of cans"
    im reading into this that he is confident the takeover will be done by Feb

but what do i know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)