+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer news

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I would expect Dave to have identified who he wants should any player leave - he’s got a decent record of doing that.
    DA is currently looking at a player from Hibs, Wigan want him on loan but apparently DA is looking at a permanent deal not heard anymore on that.

With NG moving on, it will free up some money on wages and give the club a much needed windfall, not sure of fee, but its is a welcome sum of money, I didn;t want to see NG walk away at the end of the season on a free, so as Artell has said its a win for everybody. He has been a terrific servant to the club and I wish him well in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    DA is currently looking at a player from Hibs, Wigan want him on loan but apparently DA is looking at a permanent deal not heard anymore on that.

With NG moving on, it will free up some money on wages and give the club a much needed windfall, not sure of fee, but its is a welcome sum of money, I didn;t want to see NG walk away at the end of the season on a free, so as Artell has said its a win for everybody. He has been a terrific servant to the club and I wish him well in Cardiff.
    I'm not impressed. What if everyone refused to sign extensions to contracts? How come he was made Captain and yet refused to sign something? It was and maybe still is possible he could still leave on a free if this deal doesn't go ahead. I thought the whole ethos of the club was for players to sign extensions to enable the vast expense of the academy could be maintained?

Ask yourself why do players refuse to sign extensions?

The club had a pistol against their heads and so could not refuse any transfer fee.

I think you’re using a poor example here, Mike. It’s true that some players have used the end of contract and their age to their advantage - Byron Moore springs to mind - but at the end of the day he is no different from any employee in any job in that he is able to leave with the requisite notice stipulated in his contract. Indeed, sportsmen and women in team sports are in a very small minority of occupations where one employer pays compensation to another for the release of someone. At least in football such compensation is payable and, where not agreed, assessed by tribunal.

I think most fans of the Alex wish Pez all success for his future. He has never shirked in his responsibility or his job; in fact there have been occasions when he has gone over the top in carrying them out!

The club have always striven to get players on 2 or 3 year contracts, which it must be recognised is at our risk. Ask Arsenal fans if they’re glad that Mesut Ozil was retained on a long term deal of allegedly £350k per week and has not been selected for the best part of a year. He is under no obligation to leave and can carry on drawing his money. The same scenario pertained to Winston Bogarde at Chelsea (for 2 or 3 years!) and many others. We could not afford to be paying any player who had fallen out of favour due to a change of manager, for example.

At the end of the day we employ the player, we do not own him, slavery having been abolished in the 19th century. It’s my opinion that the £350k, rising to a maximum of £500k, that Cardiff are believed to have paid is good value for us and, as I say, I wish him every success in the future.... unless he’s lined up against us!!

The point is that we are a development club which club and player 'buy into'. Players hope and expect that the development leads to a leg up the pyramid which also benefits the club with transfer income. However, the 24 year cut-off for fees has complicated things. By that age a player will be looking at making progress and the club knows that there is a chance for 'lost investment'. So the difficulty is caused by the 24 year rule rather than the player "holding a pistol to the heads of the club". One notable exception was Billy Jones who made a habit of it

It seems Perry has gone for between £250 and £350,000. This is a disappointing figure for me. Even with add-ons it only reaches half a million. Not a true valuation of Perry's talent. Compare it to £1million for the Crawley striker.

Tom James has signed for Salford on loan for rest of season. Must have been impressed with the big name owners, LOL. Not IMO a good move for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I think you’re using a poor example here, Mike. It’s true that some players have used the end of contract and their age to their advantage - Byron Moore springs to mind - but at the end of the day he is no different from any employee in any job in that he is able to leave with the requisite notice stipulated in his contract. Indeed, sportsmen and women in team sports are in a very small minority of occupations where one employer pays compensation to another for the release of someone. At least in football such compensation is payable and, where not agreed, assessed by tribunal.

I think most fans of the Alex wish Pez all success for his future. He has never shirked in his responsibility or his job; in fact there have been occasions when he has gone over the top in carrying them out!

The club have always striven to get players on 2 or 3 year contracts, which it must be recognised is at our risk. Ask Arsenal fans if they’re glad that Mesut Ozil was retained on a long term deal of allegedly £350k per week and has not been selected for the best part of a year. He is under no obligation to leave and can carry on drawing his money. The same scenario pertained to Winston Bogarde at Chelsea (for 2 or 3 years!) and many others. We could not afford to be paying any player who had fallen out of favour due to a change of manager, for example.

At the end of the day we employ the player, we do not own him, slavery having been abolished in the 19th century. It’s my opinion that the £350k, rising to a maximum of £500k, that Cardiff are believed to have paid is good value for us and, as I say, I wish him every success in the future.... unless he’s lined up against us!!
    I think gazan has it spot on where both player and club take a chance but the club has to try and recover the millions it has spent on academy players for many years and so the question remains as why won't they sign extensions knowing that ethos and the great opportunities these youngsters get playing league football. Without that they may fail to get noticed.

I sort of agree with your point about freedom to move employers but it never makes sense to give managers especially long contract when we see how that is abused in the PL with tens of millions being paid out. One season's rolling contract seems fairer and think Dario was on that if memory serves me. I also think players should have a cap on salaries as no reasonable person thinks 350K a week is OK and is greedy to an extreme and even the yanks had to do that with basketball or baseball.

We have not had a decent transfer fee for quite a few years and why to me its downright selfish and have no time for such players but that's just me. The club have little bargaining power when contracts are run down like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    It seems Perry has gone for between £250 and £350,000. This is a disappointing figure for me. Even with add-ons it only reaches half a million. Not a true valuation of Perry's talent. Compare it to £1million for the Crawley striker.
    To be frank the money paid for the Crawley striker just looks like a punt - he’s had one scoring season after a few failures. Had someone paid the same for Jephcott I could understand it. The other thing is that strikers will always go for more than RBs, especially those who are already 24 - hard to think he’s too old at 24 but likely to be less improvement in him. If Pez is worth £350k I’d want at least double for Pixie - younger, faster, free kick scorer so what’s not to like?

I believe that Pixie has so much potential he is worth at least £1m. With the right coaching he could be on the same level as Robertson or Teirney. For a premiership club that is ;oose change and has to be worth a punt.

Ng deal now completed - 3 1/2 year contract. Assuming we have our usual add ons, time for several clauses to cut in if he lasts the contract out (or s sold on).

Good luck Pez - you were great last season even though not quite at that level this time round.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast