+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rochdale

Red face Rochdale

Last time I saw the Alex win at Rochdale, Maiman scored the winner. Not saying that's the last time we won but I've missed any others. So, surprise, surprise, I'm not overbrimming with confidence BUT I will go with this season's second favourite score 2-1......to the Alex!

A bit like us, they seem to blow hot and cold. Really good wins against Wigan and Plymouth away from home, and then getting spanked by the Gills at home, along with further home losses to Lincoln, AFC Womble and Stockport (FA Cup). Again like us, they haven't played since mid-December. As this is at their place, and they seem to be really struggling to pick up points at home, I'm going 3-1 to the Alex. A lot is going to come down to who recovers from the long gap between competitive matches though. Hopefully our player of the month can continue the form that's won him the accolade.
    Last edited by Armchair General; 08-01-2021 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Correction

3 1st year pros plus Sass-Davies on the bench. I know we have a number of long-term missing but have we fallen foul of the testing?

Odd that only Lowery is missing from the starting line up though!

Lancashire?

I assume Lancashire still not fully fit from his injury. Adebisi?

Well that was bloody annoying! At half time I said that I'll be really annoyed if they ease off and don't add to the 3 goals. Little did I know!! At half time, looking at the statistics, I was saying "Three shots on target and three goals - Crewe and ruthless finishing don't usually appear in the same sentence". Unfortunately, in the second half normal service was resumed. Rochdale didn't have to work hard at all to get the three goals. I don't understand why the Alex can seem so calm in some games but completely lose their heads in others.
    Why, at dead balls, do we seem to gather in large numbers around the penalty spot and leave wide spaces open? This happens at the back and the front. Also, when we open up the situation down the left and Pickering or Kirk get in close to the dead ball line, I notice that Mandron heads for the near post but there never seems to be anyone backing up on the far post?
    Of course I'm going to mention both Charlie and Finney and their positive and negative contributions! We really saw the best and worst of Finney. In the first half, he scored two and assisted one. You couldn't ask for much more than that from any player at any level in a whole game, never mind just 45 minutes. So, in the first half you could forgive him the two occasions of being flat-footed, and breaking down good moves and taking his eye off the ball and letting it go under his feet. However, we saw one each of those mistakes in the second half but little, if anything, positive in the second. He did have a chance but took an extra touch allowing the keeper the chance to get across and block. But the real negative about Finney came with the change of fortunes in the second half. My biggest problem with him is not the poor rate of pass completion or his losses of concentration but his lack of involvement when we need every player on the pitch. We effectively have to rely on two midfield players to block the opposition when we are under pressure
    and today was a clear example. With a weak bench there was no-one to put on to plug the gap.
    As for Charlie, well a similar story. He was involved all over the place in that first half. He was still involved in the second but the old complacency had kicked in. The number of times we attacked down that left side only for Charlie to attempt the flick, chip or the pass with the outside of the foot, none of which succeeded was really frustrating. In fact, one of those instances led to Rochdale's second goal. He was still involved to the end so I can forgive him a little. I just wish that, occasionally, he would just put his laces through the ball when he shoots. Oh and credit for the third goal with an excellent collect and determined run into the box before squaring for Finney.
    Okay moan over! Dale was a little quieter than usual and did run into a couple of dead-ends but still ...another goal!
    Jaskalainen looked a little rocky and probably doesn't help the 'headless chicken' side of things in our defence. Pickering was much better in the second half, wish he could do more with his corners. Both Wintle and Murphy worked hard (see Finney above) breaking things up and trying to get things moving forward. Mandron has too much to do (see Finney above) and needs a shadow covering the other post when he attacks one. TJ had a good first half including his assist for the first half but seemed to run out of steam in the second. Overall, I think Covid (possibly!) has had a bit to do with today's result. Lowery would have made all the difference in the second half (see Finney above) as he could have been an effective sub.
    Final comment: no-way should we ever be holding our breath in the closing minutes when 3-0 up at half time but then, it hasn't happened for a while and perhaps I've lost the habit of expecting it!

Did t watch the match, but I think the lack of experience on the bench didn’t help. When you start coming under pressure a fresh pair of legs often helps and I think it’s significant that only Porter came on, and one could hardly describe his legs as fresh! It was still surprising to me that Griffiths didn’t get a run if things were as gazan described, but then I guess they did get their third earlyish in the half. Needed Lowery or Powell on the bench I guess.... or even Zanzala!! Maybe he should have brought Nolan on and switched Offord to FB or CM? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It’s a long time since we’ve let a three goal lead slip... although I’m sure someone will correct me I can’t remember doing it so disappointingly since the 5-5 extravaganza against Chesterfield!

Just watching the highlights and a game we should have won really but two points. The ref was just 5 yards away when he pointed to the spot for a pen for us and then he went to the linesman who was what 25 yards away and then changed his mind? Surely the ref was in a better position?

Secondly, yet another goal, their 3rd conceded from a corner when there are far too many Crewe players in the 6 yard box and getting in each others way and obstructing the GK and then leaving their player completely unmarked on the far post? How many times does this happen and yet nothing done about it? Ball watching not player watching? We could have gone 7th had we had won and so we are doing OK and so can't knock them too much.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Did t watch the match, but I think the lack of experience on the bench didn’t help. When you start coming under pressure a fresh pair of legs often helps and I think it’s significant that only Porter came on, and one could hardly describe his legs as fresh! It was still surprising to me that Griffiths didn’t get a run if things were as gazan described, but then I guess they did get their third earlyish in the half. Needed Lowery or Powell on the bench I guess.... or even Zanzala!! Maybe he should have brought Nolan on and switched Offord to FB or CM? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It’s a long time since we’ve let a three goal lead slip... although I’m sure someone will correct me I can’t remember doing it so disappointingly since the 5-5 extravaganza against Chesterfield!
    Assume Griffiths wasn't available either, as he was missing from the bench too - no real midfield options other than to switch Offord or Pickering, as you've said. Definitely a game where options would surely have been used, as the dale did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast