+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Livi tactics

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Your right but I'll blame the bod for not allowing a successful side at Palmerston. Even if we did compete at the top end, come the end of the season most players will leave and the manager has to start from scratch and build again. What chance has he got? And that's down to the bod not spending money on the side. The team is made up of players on one season contracts and loan signings. Ferguson spent how many years at man Utd building a team that brought success? Klopp spent about 5 years at Liverpool before winning his league. And that's all with better resources than what Johnstone has got. So equate that to queens level. Please explain how the manager has any chance. We look at the livi team that went up through the league's. That team was together for a good few seasons. Johnstone will never get that luxury from the current bod. So yes spike...I will point the finger at the bod when the complaint is lack of success. Like I mentioned. If the target is to survive in the league then how can anyone complain when we are still in the championship. But if the target is success then the policies at queens will never bring sustained success and that is down to the bod

fatfan you could shout till your blue in the face about our piss poor budgets on this site ,thay all stick up for hewitson and co as if thay were joined at the hip ,truth is hewitson and co are penny pinching clowns that need shifted from office fast .

Under Davie Rae, when he was trying to push Queens to the Premiership after reaching the Scottish Cup Final, the Save Our South money from the fans helped bail out the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    The BoD can only operate within the budgets they have and considering that level we are doing well to run a full time team staying in the Championship. We can all question their ambitions but without a significant increase in funding we are what we are and keeping our heads above water is admirable with that in mind. We can all look enviously at the successful managers at the much bigger clubs however most of these cut their teeth in the lower leagues demonstrating their abilities on equally poor budgets before being snapped up because of this success. The game is far from that many harp back to in the 60's and before that when the majority of clubs were non professionally where money did not dictate the fortunes of the clubs but this has long gone and with very few exceptions the big wealth teams dominate controlling the game to their needs. One day perhaps things will change.
    So if keeping our heads above water is good considering the financial position the club is in then can you explain what Johnstone has done wrong? He's kept us in the championship whilst unable to build a team. He has brought in some decent young players who hopefully have got used to the pace of this league and no doubt will take a few hammering before the end of the season but may produce a few shocks along the way. Sad thing is he will have to start again next season as most players will be off to pastures new

Up until the last three games the players look demoralised, couldn't string a couple of passes together and were bottom of the league. A good manager would get the best out of the players, most of which he has picked. His record is poor at best and hard to defend. I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong in my thoughts and he goes on to be one of the best managers we have ever had.

Up until the last three games the players look demoralised, couldn't string a couple of passes together and were bottom of the league. A good manager would get the best out of the players, most of which he has picked. His record is poor at best and hard to defend.
    AJ must be doing something correct now, then?

Up until the last three games the players look demoralised, couldn't string a couple of passes together and were bottom of the league. A good manager would get the best out of the players, most of which he has picked. His record is poor at best and hard to defend. I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong in my thoughts and he goes on to be one of the best managers we have ever had.
    Spike that will never happen cos there's no way he can build a team. It takes at the very least a year to do that. With the way the club is run he will never get the chance to do that. The same man brought success to the club last time with a team that had been at the club for a few seasons and added to with some shrewd signings. Nowadays we are expecting him to work wonders with a group of players that are flung together at the last minute at the start of each season. For me there is absolutely no vision from the bod to take the club forward. It's basically survive the best they can each season and hide behind the manager when things aren't going well

Spike that will never happen cos there's no way he can build a team. It takes at the very least a year to do that. With the way the club is run he will never get the chance to do that. The same man brought success to the club last time with a team that had been at the club for a few seasons and added to with some shrewd signings. Nowadays we are expecting him to work wonders with a group of players that are flung together at the last minute at the start of each season. For me there is absolutely no vision from the bod to take the club forward. It's basically survive the best they can each season and hide behind the manager when things aren't going well

best comment for ages on here totally spot on fatfan .

I certainly do not support the way we have to start from scratch every season at the moment but your initial post was about the good job which AJ is doing and I still say that his record does not support that statement. Yes he has a crap budget and that is another topic which has been discussed to death on this site. His record on leaving Queens is also far from good.

I certainly do not support the way we have to start from scratch every season at the moment but your initial post was about the good job which AJ is doing and I still say that his record does not support that statement. Yes he has a crap budget and that is another topic which has been discussed to death on this site. His record on leaving Queens is also far from good.

yes johnstons record isnt looking the best ,however both points are valid the man maybe aint the best at working under low budgets ,so we either go one way or the other ,1.keep on magic and give him a half decent improved budget for the next few season to see how he does ,or 2. assume the bod will keep the purse strings closed and get in a tried and trusted manager thats proven to do well under restraint .

I was pointing out how the players are getting all the praise when the team start winning but the manager gets it in the neck when things are going south and nothing or very little is said about players. Do I think Johnstone is doing a decent job? In answer to that I have to say he's doing what's expected of him so far. Without knowing any facts, I can't see how there is any ambition to take the club into the next level and the sole expectation is to survive in the championship, which so far he has done with smaller resources than a few league 1 clubs. Now with us having such small resources, it's surely the bod job to manage that. The other point is that there seems to be this thing about maintaining full time status. Football finances have changed dramaticly in recent years and as a result there are a large number of good players who would rather remain part time cos they will make more money in a full time job accompanied with part time football. As such I think the club are possibly missing a trick there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)