+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozzy to Fylde

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    I hope we had at least a 25% sell-on clause.......£5 could come in handy.

Yeah yeah, I know he left of his own accord.
    Not sure if the bosman ruling comes into play in national League, but as we offered him a new deal, we may have some opportunity for compensation

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Odd. Does anyone have reasons? Other than money ones? Wish him all the best but from one club in the division to another? They must have paid a pretty good sum.
    If I was Ozzy I'd tend to think why not? No doubt more money as you say, but also he's moving to a club with high ambitions of getting back to the National League and beyond. At worst he's got a better chance of moving up a league, and at best he could start to attract more attention from league scouts and a possible future move.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Not sure if the bosman ruling comes into play in national League, but as we offered him a new deal, we may have some opportunity for compensation
    That rule only applies if you offer him the same terms as before and want to keep the player.

I think it’s clear we didn’t want him but we may have put a sell on clause in his contract who knows ?

The chances are the fee is going to be low no more than say £25k so doubt we’d get much if anything.

Ardley has made some stupid choices, not doing enough to keep Osborne is well up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    That rule only applies if you offer him the same terms as before and want to keep the player.

I think it’s clear we didn’t want him but we may have put a sell on clause in his contract who knows ?

The chances are the fee is going to be low no more than say £25k so doubt we’d get much if anything.
    Don't think we can put any clauses on anything if he was out of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Don't think we can put any clauses on anything if he was out of contract.
    We can if we offered him same terms I think and shown we wanted to keep him.

My guess is you are correct and we just released him so no clause will be in his contract.

You only get compensation set by tribunal if you offer the same terms as the current deal he was on. If we had Leamington would have had to pay something. We didn't offer him the same terms so he went for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Ardley has made some stupid choices, not doing enough to keep Osborne is well up there though.
    I'm genuinely baffled that any football professional could have watched Sam Osborne's (occasional) performances for the Notts first team and not concluded it was worth fighting to keep him. Of course he wasn't the finished article, but the talent - and the goals - were there, and when Enzio's form dropped right off in the second half of last season it would have been the perfect opportunity to give Ozzy more game time. Enzio seemed to be picked too often on reputation rather than merit, which also seems to be the case with Doyle.

The argument given by a few in the youth team debate was that he wasn’t good enough and that money was better spent on others.

I’m not in agreement entirely on either point. He very likely was on very little of a part time outfit can offer him better terms. And as such he’s hardly going to be competing with a fraction of the cost of some of the loanees we’ve not been playing.

On the good enough point, I think we have to accept we are a fifth tier club. He’s a long way off league 2 standard, but will surely and has surely improved, and likely would playing with better players.

He’s never going to be a world beater for me, but we’ll never know if he could have done a better job than someone paid significantly more than him in Enzio.

I sit pretty much in the middle on this debate, if we had kept him I wouldn't have been upset nor was I when he left.

He had clear potential, but I just couldn't see him playing much this season, as he didn't last season with our other attacking options.

What I can't quite believe is that he's generated this much debate. It's worked out for him so far which is great. Happy for the lad.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast