+ Visit Swansea City FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stevenage v Swansea (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Stevenage v Swansea (FA Cup 3rd Round)

It’s FA Cup weekend and we’re away again to a lower league side, Stevenage of League Two. Having already had our nose bloodied at Newport in the League Cup earlier in the season, surely there’s the temptation to put out a stronger side this time if we want to progress.
    Even Steve Cooper agrees with that - “I think there’ll be some changes. I don’t think it’ll be wholesale. We’re planning on taking all of the squad because I think we're in good momentum, and regardless of it being a league or cup game, we just want to keep going”
    Stevenage haven’t been doing so well this season but have won their last two games and have just signed three players.
    We know the Cup is a great leveller and there will be upsets, so expect a tough game. I don’t really care for the Cup competitions, especially as were riding high in the league this season, and I’ll be happy if we come through the match without any injuries, win or lose.
    No replays, so there’s extra time and penalties if needed.
    The match is on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport App live and is a welcome break for some fans and players alike, from the intense match scheduling of the Championship this season.

The teams -

Stevenage: Jamie Cumming, Luther James-Wildin, Ben Coker, Scott Cuthbert (captain), Charlie Carter, Danny Newton, Terence Vanccoten, Arthur Read, Jack Smith, Tom Pett, Chris Lines.

Substitutes: Billy Johnson, Romain Vincelot, Luke Prosser, Tyrone Marsh, Elliott List, Ross Marshall, Jack Aitchison, Luke Norris, Aramide Oteh.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Ben Cabango, Cameron Evans; Jordon Garrick, George Byers, Jay Fulton, Ryan Manning; Yan Dhanda; Wayne Routledge (captain), Viktor Gyokeres.

Substitutes: Lewis Webb, Marc Guehi, Korey Smith, Matt Grimes, Jamal Lowe, Liam Cullen, Jake Bidwell, Oli Cooper, Dan Williams.

Seven changes to the side that beat Watford.
    Cam Evans makes his debut in defence. Benda injured so no rest for Woodman.
    No Ayew but our other joint top scorer Lowe is on the bench. Cooper, just returned from Newport, is also on the bench.

0-1 Routledge 7 mins, assist from Dhanda

HT 0-1
    No further goals. We dominated the first quarter but took our foot off the pedal and weak defending gave Boro a few corners and free kicks which they weren’t able to capitalise on.

0-2 Gyokeres header from a Garrick cross

FT 0-2 Routledge 7’, Gyokeres 50’
    Woodman saved a penalty and Stevenage had plenty of other chances to score.

Woodman MOM for me with some excellent saves and the penalty stop.
    Here’s the match report -
    https://www.swanseacity.com/news/rep...swansea-city-2

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)