+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Butcher

Richard Butcher

10 years ago today I think, so tragic at his age did his best for our club.

Yesterday the thought genuinely went through my mind that it must be getting on a decade since Richard Butcher passed away. I didn't realise I was quite so close to the precise day.

As you say, very sad and tragic that he died so young, but he certainly left his mark at Notts County and scored goals that kept us afloat back in the day.

One of the better players at the club in an extremely poor time for the club. Hes not forgotten.

I’m moving house next week and was sorting through some stuff yesterday which includes a signed shirt (signed by the whole team including Butch) and thought of him. I had no idea it was 10 years. A bit spooky to be honest.

It’s the only signed Notts shirt I have and was given to me after the 3-0 loss to the dog and duck that season. For a midfielder he scored and awful lot of goals....

Would have turned 40 this month.
    Top scorer in season 2007/08 with 12 goals.

RIP

The day he saved us from another possible relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by chedozie View Post
    The day he saved us from another possible relegation.
    A great professional and such a sad loss, still missed by many fans to this day

I always thought it a little unfair that we never offered him a new contract the following season (Munto) as he'd certainly done enough in my eyes, even if he'd only have been a squad player.

Two goals will always stay in my memory when thinking of Butcher.

For importance the goal at home against Wycombe, relegation averted for another season.

For quality, awfully dull game lack any quality away at Macclesfield brightened up by a long range stunner for Richard.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by chedozie View Post
    10 years ago today I think, so tragic at his age did his best for our club.
    When thinking back over Notts recent history, its scary the number of players we have had. Many don't stick in the memory, but Butch was one who did. Always gave everything for the cause, and had a big hand in keeping us in the league. RIP Richard Butcher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast