+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shields Interesting Cumbrians and Exeter

please kindly explain to me how this ambition you see translates to queens success on the park and show me where queens have progressed forward as a club !

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    show me the proof of this ambition as you obviously live in some cloud that can see queens as an ambitous club under the 4rth reich lol .please explain and before you quote the facilities explain them aswell as i see zero progress from our current place in football we are only going backwards in my eyes and the majority of dumfries share my view .
    After the former Tesco site lay empty for years the current BOD’s transformed it into the extremely successful Queens Arena which brings in £150,000 a year ( before Covid )

I would trust 3 very successful businessmen to run the club properly more than you. Please tell me your business or financial background Francis ? If it’s better than theirs then please organise a talk over bid.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    After the former Tesco site lay empty for years the current BOD’s transformed it into the extremely successful Queens Arena which brings in £150,000 a year ( before Covid )

I would trust 3 very successful businessmen to run the club properly more than you. Please tell me your business or financial background Francis ? If it’s better than theirs then please organise a talk over bid.

your not quoting anything new there we all know this ,so where does this arena income go ? as fatfan already pointed out ask the businesses in there who thay pay it too .and i dont see any evidence of this mystery income showing in queens budgets and fortunes ,and its an easy cop out trying to turn it round to me by saying put in a bid to take over the club ,only way i would contemplate running a football club is if i had millions to personally pump in to make it successfull so dont use me as a cop out ,i dont think hewitson and co have the clout to take a club and make it successful ,name 1 successful football club that is running at profit ,you will struggle to find 1 all the clubs that are successful are ran by men who dont use the clubs income to pay for players .,now get to my point and tell me where all this so called ambition from the board is translated onto the pitch ? there is no denying queens are moving backwards over the last 5 years ,the current covid crisis thay can be excused but once this is over how long will we wait to see queens start to take steps forward ? another 5 or 6 years ? 20 ? when ?
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 17-01-2021 at 04:38 PM.

i wouldnt mind our current board staying at the club ,i dont realy care who runs it as long as there intentions are to always make forward progress .

Attracting finance from potential new owners in situations like these will be almost impossible. Who would want to take on the liability of an insolvent football club, that was already trading at a substantial loss before the coronavirus hit, and that has now had its principle source of income taken away from it?

So, the short-term problem is clear to see. With no clarity over the future of live matchday attendance likely anytime soon, clubs will go bust unless they are bailed out somehow. The Scottish Government has already given emergency loans or grants to our clubs to help protect them.

Yet whilst acknowledging and dealing with that need, we also need to recognise that football’s financial crisis has not simply been caused by the coronavirus. Rather, the lockdown has brought to the boil a situation that has been simmering for too long. The majority of Scottish League clubs have been run unsustainably (and often irresponsibly) for decades. If taxpayers’ money is going to be brought to bear then this needs to be the moment when the national game is forced to change.

Clubs might have the structure of a private company, but they are also social institutions. Their current owners are not merely running a small business – they are the custodians of a treasured and often totemic part of a community’s history and values. That is why football clubs carry an outsize importance within Scottish society. Queen of the South FC and the town of Dumfries do deserve better; but now is not that time!

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    Attracting finance from potential new owners in situations like these will be almost impossible. Who would want to take on the liability of an insolvent football club, that was already trading at a substantial loss before the coronavirus hit, and that has now had its principle source of income taken away from it?

So, the short-term problem is clear to see. With no clarity over the future of live matchday attendance likely anytime soon, clubs will go bust unless they are bailed out somehow. The Scottish Government has already given emergency loans or grants to our clubs to help protect them.

Yet whilst acknowledging and dealing with that need, we also need to recognise that football’s financial crisis has not simply been caused by the coronavirus. Rather, the lockdown has brought to the boil a situation that has been simmering for too long. The majority of Scottish League clubs have been run unsustainably (and often irresponsibly) for decades. If taxpayers’ money is going to be brought to bear then this needs to be the moment when the national game is forced to change.

Clubs might have the structure of a private company, but they are also social institutions. Their current owners are not merely running a small business – they are the custodians of a treasured and often totemic part of a community’s history and values. That is why football clubs carry an outsize importance within Scottish society. Queen of the South FC and the town of Dumfries do deserve better; but now is not that time!
    Very well put and constructed which emphasises the achievements of the current board in keeping the club in the black unlike most of their competitors in the Championship prior to the start of this pandemic. The soon to be released yearly financial report will make interesting reading.

Truthhurts you have most eloquently pointed out the fundamental flaws in most Scottish football teams and highlighted the desperate situation to Francis and anyone else who still believes that throwing money at the problem will solve it.

Queen of the South is probably as well run as it can be in terms of ensuring there is a financial structure in place (outside football) to maintain it as a going concern, - and we should applaud the BOD for their diligence in achieving that.

However, Queen of the South cannot be sustained (in its present guise) without the income from match day audiences, and we are not alone. There will be very few clubs who will survive this crisis, - and as Truthhurts points out, - governments cannot simply dip into ever reducing levels of emergency grants to keep them going, - unless the game changes dramatically.

Fighting a pandemic by pumping money into the economy to save jobs is morally correct as well as being economically sound, but if the pandemic punches back with ever changing variants, - then governments need to take stock and consider other approaches.

As Truthhurts states, - now is not the time to be berating our BOD who are valiantly keeping the club afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Truthhurts you have most eloquently pointed out the fundamental flaws in most Scottish football teams and highlighted the desperate situation to Francis and anyone else who still believes that throwing money at the problem will solve it.

Queen of the South is probably as well run as it can be in terms of ensuring there is a financial structure in place (outside football) to maintain it as a going concern, - and we should applaud the BOD for their diligence in achieving that.

However, Queen of the South cannot be sustained (in its present guise) without the income from match day audiences, and we are not alone. There will be very few clubs who will survive this crisis, - and as Truthhurts points out, - governments cannot simply dip into ever reducing levels of emergency grants to keep them going, - unless the game changes dramatically.

Fighting a pandemic by pumping money into the economy to save jobs is morally correct as well as being economically sound, but if the pandemic punches back with ever changing variants, - then governments need to take stock and consider other approaches.

As Truthhurts states, - now is not the time to be berating our BOD who are valiantly keeping the club afloat.
    jardi maybe your right about this season, but like I said earlier. What about previous seasons where the club has gone into serious decline prior to this past year. 4 or 5 seasons ago Palmerston was a place none of the big clubs liked coming to. Teams like rangers, hearts, hibs and Dundee Utd would leave with nothing for there efforts. Could you say the standard is the same in the past 4 seasons. We turned into a club that was willing to survive in the championship rather than a club wishing to challenge at the top end of the table. And that has been happening for 4 or 5 years now, not just this season. So what efforts were made during the previous seasons to get bums on seats and produce a team that the town would be proud of. It's been constantly the same. One season contracts mixed with loan signings. There has been absolutely no efforts made to build a side that will give a sustained challenge at the top end of the league or even compete with the top teams over a season. And that's why I feel pity for Johnstone. He has little to no chance to bring success to the club whilst this policy continues and takes the criticism from supporters whilst the very people, namely the BOD, who make these policies get praised for their efforts. You, along with a number of others were criticising the manager to the point the main feeling was he should be sacked. To me he has worked a minor miracle to keep the team in the league. It must be like fighting tyson with your arms tied behind your back. Now we get a few wins together and no praise is thrown his way. It's all the players and now the BOD who are world beaters. Sorry, but I just don't get that. The board has got to change there way of thinking or we are never going to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    jardi maybe your right about this season, but like I said earlier. What about previous seasons where the club has gone into serious decline prior to this past year. 4 or 5 seasons ago Palmerston was a place none of the big clubs liked coming to. Teams like rangers, hearts, hibs and Dundee Utd would leave with nothing for there efforts. Could you say the standard is the same in the past 4 seasons. We turned into a club that was willing to survive in the championship rather than a club wishing to challenge at the top end of the table. And that has been happening for 4 or 5 years now, not just this season. So what efforts were made during the previous seasons to get bums on seats and produce a team that the town would be proud of. It's been constantly the same. One season contracts mixed with loan signings. There has been absolutely no efforts made to build a side that will give a sustained challenge at the top end of the league or even compete with the top teams over a season. And that's why I feel pity for Johnstone. He has little to no chance to bring success to the club whilst this policy continues and takes the criticism from supporters whilst the very people, namely the BOD, who make these policies get praised for their efforts. You, along with a number of others were criticising the manager to the point the main feeling was he should be sacked. To me he has worked a minor miracle to keep the team in the league. It must be like fighting tyson with your arms tied behind your back. Now we get a few wins together and no praise is thrown his way. It's all the players and now the BOD who are world beaters. Sorry, but I just don't get that. The board has got to change there way of thinking or we are never going to improve.

fatfan jardi and some of them seem to be using this covid season to make there point ,we all know during this covid nothing can be done ,but jardi and co lets put this covid season off the agenda and explain all the seasons before covid struck ,since hewitson took the helm ,queens have slowly went into decline ,the fans are getting smaller and smaller in numbers as a result of this decline ,this season can be excused as we all know this covid situation has resulted in the club losing its income streams ,so explain to me how hewitson and co can turn this decline round after this covid crisis is done cause there isnt many more seasons queens can survive losing fans under a slow decline ,fans wont turn up and pay to watch ,its going to take a move forward by the money men to turn it around surely you can see that there will never be a situation where the fans just turn up to give the club cash to turn it around doesnt work that way ,its going to take an appetiser season or two to rile up the passion and support for the club as there aint any good feeling atm for the club outside the few diehards that are left .

Francis, - I do love your unbridled passion, - but now is not the time, - honestly.

We should all simply wait and see what happens, - before anyone decides what do next.

This is a game where there are no known tactics and our club is at the mercy of an all powerful opposition with the added problem that there is no referee to protect us.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)