+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost there.... takeover done!

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    We have megarich owners at the moment, ramAnag. When they first arrived one of them said, 'We won't be throwing milliions around'. Presumably so as not to give the fans false hope. Too right they haven't. They sell their best players in the transfer window at a fraction of their real value. Then they buy Have-a-go Joe who's scored seven goals in nine appearances for Forest Green claiming he's 'one for the future' Small wonder our cynical about such takeovers.

We won the FA Cup v West Brom in 1912. Yes I know, no doubt they used caseys and had coats for goal posts.
    POI...I hadn’t replied to you.
    My view is that people don’t get excited about having rich owners...it’s just that having rich owners is a pre requisite for success nowadays.
    Norwich are, off the top of my head, the only side to regularly achieve things with more ‘normally’ rich owners but of the seven(?) clubs to have ever won the Premier League even such ‘outsiders’ as Leicester and Blackburn couldn’t have done it without their wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    My view is that people don’t get excited about having rich owners...it’s just that having rich owners is a pre requisite for success nowadays.
    Norwich are, off the top of my head, the only side to regularly achieve things with more ‘normally’ rich owners but of the seven(?) clubs to have ever won the Premier League even such ‘outsiders’ as Leicester and Blackburn couldn’t have done it without their wealth.
    Its clear that to be successful at the highest level then you need the best players, they are expensive to buy and demand high wages. It follows therefore that the financial muscle of a club is directly related to its success.

I guess it was always the case, just that there wasn't such a big gap between the haves and the have nots, plus the genera upwards creep of wages has meant that bang average players get salaries out of all proportion to their ability these days.

Norwich are an interesting example in that they have a budget and stick to it rigidly, though they haven't quite cracked performing in the prem! Burnley seemed to have done that now, but been they have now been taken over by wealthier owners.

I know we go on about the millions in transfer fees and wages we have wasted on players, but the attrition rate at the highest prem level is even greater, a close examination of the Manures, Man Citys, Liverpools and Chelskis will show that they ahve spent many millions on players who never actually made a meaningful contribution to the club, they of course have the resources to be able to so that, but that "waste" expenditure is beyond the means of most clubs.

Top level football is less sport, than money orientated, the leagues become less competitive and it is a turn off.

My mistake.

As a matter of interest, I once spoke to a Man City fan who couldn't contain himself at the prospect of pots of money coming their way. I asked him how he felt about Man City giving up their identity, i.e. watching a winning team consisting of Europe's best players rather than a losing side forever in the shadow of their big rivals Man Utd. He said on balance I'd rather have the winning team. I think that's sad. Barnsley fans will never have to worry about such a dilemma but if they did, I personally would prefer to watch my perennial losers unsullied by overseas superstars. Each to their own I suppose.
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 23-01-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Think you’re in the minority there, Gunt.
    You’d need a time machine to go back to the days of Derby, Forest and Ipswich winning the title.
    It might touch your nostalgic heart strings to think a team of locals, with maybe a sprinkling of Scots, have got what it takes, but those days have gone and given the choice most fans will go for money and glory over slogging it out at Newport and Hartlepool.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    My mistake.

As a matter of interest, I once spoke to a Man City fan who couldn't contain himself at the prospect of pots of money coming their way. I asked him how he felt about Man City giving up their identity, i.e. watching a winning team consisting of Europe's best players rather than a losing side forever in the shadow of their big rivals Man Utd. He said on balance I'd rather have the winning team. I think that's sad. Barnsley fans will never have to worry about such a dilemma but if they did, I personally would prefer to watch my perennial losers unsullied by overseas superstars. Each to their own I suppose.
    In fact I suspect you wouldnt want anybody born outside Yarkshu to represent you?

Think you’re in the minority there, Gunt.
    You’d need a time machine to go back to the days of Derby, Forest and Ipswich winning the title.
    It might touch your nostalgic heart strings to think a team of locals, with maybe a sprinkling of Scots, have got what it takes, but those days have gone and given the choice most fans will go for money and glory over slogging it out at Newport and Hartlepool.
    Aye, almost 4 years since a team of that sort of stature won it

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Aye, almost 4 years since a team of that sort of stature won it
    That’s the point though GP. Don’t be fooled...Leicester are up there with the big boys these days. They have mega wealthy owners and opened their new Seagrave Training Centre recently. It cost £100m and is spread over 185 acres.

I somehow doubt that many of their fans are yearning for second division football at Filbert Street.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 23-01-2021 at 05:04 PM.

That’s the point though GP. Don’t be fooled...Leicester are up there with the big boys these days. They have mega wealthy owners and opened their new Seagrave Training Centre recently. It cost £100m and is spread over 185 acres.

I somehow doubt that many of their fans are yearning for second division football at Filbert Street.
    Yes that rich Thai owner (RIP) obviously had no part to play in Leicester's success and that "home grown" squad which included players from Germany, France, Tunisia, Belgium. Denmark. Austria, Ghana, Switzerland, Algeria, Japan and Mexico really showed that a team of locals could win the prem these days!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Yes that rich Thai owner (RIP) obviously had no part to play in Leicester's success and that "home grown" squad which included players from Germany, France, Tunisia, Belgium. Denmark. Austria, Ghana, Switzerland, Algeria, Japan and Mexico really showed that a team of locals could win the prem these days!
    Exactly...still at least, according to the DT, our players are due to be paid in full on Monday so we might be able to add a couple of our own. Couldn’t care less where they come from so long as they add a few goals and a bit of knowhow.

Exactly...still at least, according to the DT, our players are due to be paid in full on Monday so we might be able to add a couple of our own. Couldn’t care less where they come from so long as they add a few goals and a bit of knowhow.
    That would be good, Brexit makes signing foreign based players more tricky these days, so we could be scouring the home market, I guess it will be loans to add some quality and help get us mid table. The time for major change is in the summer, assuming we ae still in existence.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)