+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Burnley v Manchester United Match Preview

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I've constantly been bemused with this sort of comment, "I'd like to single out Pieters for special praise. i was worried they would target him and run him ragged. But he was outstanding."

Not having a pop at you 59er, but Pieters is a fully fledged Dutch international and as far as I know they don't give out full international caps for 5 Kellogg's tokens in Holland.

Since he came to join us from Stoke, I think his contribution to the cause has been truly outstanding. I hope we can add five like him this window for the same sort of money we sent to the Potters to bring Erik to Turf Moor.
    Come on BT - I’ll grant he has done a decent job when asked and has been a bargain in truth but we need better players who are mobile week in week out.

He is a back up player at best ( should be ) for us and steps in and does a great job when first selection is missing.

I’m a bit worried for us as it goes because the players who look most likely to influence games and are intelligent and mobile can’t get in the team while we have others who seem to be allowed to do as they please.

Charlie will be back this week I think and that’s a big plus for us as he has both of the above attributes - there were a few on here who scoffed at Troy Deeney ( and i completely get why ) but I had a think last night about how they steamrollerd us second half and I wandered how often deeney would get out muscled and if he could get the ball down in the right areas for the midfield to support him - I’m willing to wager he’d have done a lot better than the front two last night - he’s getting on a bit I know but he’s a better footballer and could do a six month spell for us.

In my post above as I said, I did not see the game I only could watch the highlights on a video. It certainly seems we played well holding them just to a single goal, It is only this goal I wrote about. Certainly they have loads of skilful players .Even Vintage remarks, ''but their midfield and attacking units are very good.'' Then again Sammy Bubbly noted, ''we decide to put more or less everyone behind the ball and play far too deep for me. Can then 8 of our players jamming the penalty area be, too deep, as against 3 of their players? (8 on 3 ???)
    See video https://youtu.be/6MYWRjEOITc?t=87

The fact is Pogba was left all alone with some 10 yards between him and a Burnley player (here he has advanced and stands alone inside the half circle of the penalty area). He hit the ball with a first time volley, even so he had 1-2 secs to get his shot on goal unhindered
    https://youtu.be/6MYWRjEOITc?t=88

Even if this was a 'pub' team or a team of £500 m, the space Pogba had should never have been. If our attackers drop back ,and any attacking midfielders ,that area should be covered. But with 2 players their concentration was to the ride side of the field on Rashford and not behind them on any United player advancing goal wards.(A quick glance behind, would have corrected this) Yes the goal came as a deflection off Taylor, I think, even so Pogba should not have had that opportunity, that's all I comment on.

Balan --Taylor is still injured. The deflection came off Lowton and has it not hit his thigh it would have been saved by Pope.
    They had the little bit of luck that counts and we are not getting any just at the moment. We worked hard as a team against a team worth 10 times more than ours and just failed at the end. That's life.
    Pogba is a class player and will always find space, however, it we had not lost the ball on the halfway line with a wayward header this would have been immaterial.

A load of whinging posts today from MU fans saying how the ref and VAR were against them so they had to play against 13. I broadly think the overwhelming majority of decisions in the match were correct. Maguire had a goal disallowed for a push but got away with a handball. Shaw got a yellow when it could have been a red. Cavani should have been awarded an Oscar for slapstick after taking a snipers bullet. Man Utd fans whining on and on about unfair decisions when they have won. How many penalties have you had boys and girls?

Pieters is a fine player but he's not as quick as Charlie.

United have pace all over the place, and they deployed Rashford against him. He usually plays on the left.

Eric (with fantastic support from Brady) kept Rashford in his pocket.

And Hernandes , Martial and Cavani were handled equally as well.

Pogba had a 20 minute purple patch at the start of the second half which we struggled with, otherwise I thought we were as good as them.

I may be biased, but I thought Shaw should have seen red, and we should have had a late penalty.

I was proud of the lads, yet again.

Yes indeed 59er, I find it strange that two, not one of the United players jumped in the penalty area with their arms up.

Blatant penalty the other way round, but not for us I'm afraid to say.

I do agree with Balan though, we should have been closing Pogba down a lot quicker than we did.

Be realistic,you could see the goal coming,we were under constant pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Yes indeed 59er, I find it strange that two, not one of the United players jumped in the penalty area with their arms up.

Blatant penalty the other way round, but not for us I'm afraid to say.

I do agree with Balan though, we should have been closing Pogba down a lot quicker than we did.
    Come on BT, the ball got trapped between Maguire and Bailly and there were only three hands involved ---you can't give handball for that ---you need four hands!

barrie --they got a deflection and this changed the trajectory of the ball otherwise Pope would have saved it because he was diving and the ball would have hit his midriff. Sadly, it hit Lowton's thigh and deflected enough to just go between Pope's legs in mid air.
    They had been pressing, however, you can only guess whether or not they would have scored because they didn't score again, even though Martial had a one on one with Pope. You need a bit of luck and they got it from a smashing strike.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Be realistic,you could see the goal coming,we were under constant pressure.
    Nothing new there barrie - that's the way we play.

They only managed one goal, and that was a lucky (for them) deflection.

I thought that the lads responded well though, and were unlucky with the non-penalty and a couple of other chances (Tarks!!)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)