+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: OT a frightening thought

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Suspect you’re deliberately misinterpreting Swale’s post #109, GP...and he did actually mention Bill Gates who is rather more than a mere millionaire.

Moving on and away from any ‘personal giving contest’...aren’t there a number of religions who suggest that individuals should give a proportion of their wealth to charity? 2.5% springs vaguely to mind, though I’m unsure whether that’s gross or disposable income.
    Muslims in particular give what works out at around 2.5% of gross income - Others give funds or time. It’s quite variable of course according to ‘devout ness’, affluence and the common denominator across all religions, tightness

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Muslims in particular give what works out at around 2.5% of gross income - Others give funds or time. It’s quite variable of course according to ‘devout ness’, affluence and the common denominator across all religions, tightness
    No recognition that you accused me of disptickery on the wrong thread and wrong subject?

Suspect you’re deliberately misinterpreting Swale’s post #109, GP...and he did actually mention Bill Gates who is rather more than a mere millionaire.

Moving on and away from any ‘personal giving contest’...aren’t there a number of religions who suggest that individuals should give a proportion of their wealth to charity? 2.5% springs vaguely to mind, though I’m unsure whether that’s gross or disposable income.
    Not at all, he mentioned multi billionaires such as Gates and commended him. He then differentiated and moved on to mere grubby millionaires whose charitable activities he impugned.

Its not a contest on who far can piss up the wall on charitable giving: I give bugger all. Its the slight against others who give that I find inappropriate

I have to admit, I stopped giving myself when it was pointed out how much of this "charity" money is being creamed off by certain organisations. Yet the amount passed on to the supposed needy is nothing like what you think. There are some, that are half decent but many are not.

The BBC children in need is a classic. The make it look like it is a BBC charity for the glory. In effect it is no such thing, so they do bugger all, just air it for viewing figures. The boss of the charity is paid £130 k and 126 staff get £6,5M in wages out those donations.
    Not just them either, the poppy fund, has £70m sat in the bank?

So charity is a very argumentative subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

I give bugger all.
    I’m quite surprised. None of my business but may one ask why?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    I have to admit, I stopped giving myself when it was pointed out how much of this "charity" money is being creamed off by certain organisations. Yet the amount passed on to the supposed needy is nothing like what you think. There are some, that are half decent but many are not.

The BBC children in need is a classic. The make it look like it is a BBC charity for the glory. In effect it is no such thing, so they do bugger all, just air it for viewing figures. The boss of the charity is paid £130 k and 126 staff get £6,5M in wages out those donations.

If you just feel a tightarse, fair enough, but if you are just concerned about stuff being creamed off, take a more direct approach, Mrs F and I used to run a soup kitchen (as part of a team) and despite the fact the folk queueing up for Mrs F's outstanding home made soup were mostly the exact type of folk who don't fit my 'help those who can't help themselves, not those who won't help themselves' ethos, it was a pretty humbling experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    If you just feel a tightarse, fair enough, but if you are just concerned about stuff being creamed off, take a more direct approach, Mrs F and I used to run a soup kitchen (as part of a team) and despite the fact the folk queueing up for Mrs F's outstanding home made soup were mostly the exact type of folk who don't fit my 'help those who can't help themselves, not those who won't help themselves' ethos, it was a pretty humbling experience.
    Not being a tight arse mucker. Just selective about who and when.
    ITV do text santa. 100% goes to the charity for example. I've done fund rising for Macmillan in the past.
    But I don't just throw money in a pot anymore, until I do some digging. There is way too much skimming going on for "charities" and it's become a career for some.

I’m quite surprised. None of my business but may one ask why?
    I'm mean!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post

The international Lions is a good charity, all their admin costs are raised by their own members through social events and the money is kept in the admin account as opposed to their charity account which is where the public's donations and money raising efforts go. They then try to monitor this charity money when it is paid out. If possible, not giving out actual cash, but buying necessary equipment and supplies. Also, they tend to support local charities more.

The Lions have a lot to answer for though, as a member of the young lions (Leos), I met my dear wife 43 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Not at all, he mentioned multi billionaires such as Gates and commended him. He then differentiated and moved on to mere grubby millionaires whose charitable activities he impugned.

Its not a contest on who far can piss up the wall on charitable giving: I give bugger all. Its the slight against others who give that I find inappropriate
    Oh **** off! I was mentioning millionaires in the context of people like Trump! That was obvious from my post! Yes its sign of my age that I said millionaire, not taking into account inflation and really should have said multi millionaires, but one would have to be very dim or deliberately obtuse not to understand that!

You deliberately misinterpreted that to be a ****!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)