+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Patience wearing thin with football...

Patience wearing thin with football...

...after repeated Covid breaches.
    So claims the BBC after the dressing room scenes at Chorley and Crawley and the crowds that gathered to see Tottenham arrive in Crosby.
    Bit harsh perhaps. There seems to be more football on TV than there ever has been at the moment. It must have almost reached ‘opium of the people’ levels from a Government point of view...a means of ‘control’ for some...but for most of us the commitment of players from the two or three top tiers has, imo, made things a little more bearable.
    Thoughts?

They’re paid too much to be given any credit. Nurses doctors and volunteers like Ram 59 deserve our plaudits not footballers. And obvs I mean top tier pros.

Edit, I do think football has been a useful means of providing a diversion to the population though so should be ‘stuck at’ for as long as poss
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 11-01-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    They’re paid too much to be given any credit. Nurses doctors and volunteers like Ram 59 deserve our plaudits not footballers. And obvs I mean top tier pros.

Edit, I do think football has been a useful means of providing a diversion to the population though so should be ‘stuck at’ for as long as poss
    Of course they’re paid too much...that’s a constant, not just related to the pandemic, and I wasn’t comparing them to frontline workers, but they have, imo, done well to maintain some degree of ‘normality’.

The more football on TV, the less likely folk are to go out.......

Over here, ESPN (used to be Fox, there's been a takeover that actually completed ) more than 1.5M watched Ajax-PSV on Sunday. That's 1-% of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The more football on TV, the less likely folk are to go out.......

Over here, ESPN (used to be Fox, there's been a takeover that actually completed ) more than 1.5M watched Ajax-PSV on Sunday. That's 1-% of the population.
    Imagine that should be 10%, MA. I’m never quite sure how they arrive at such figures. Easy to understand how many TV sets were tuned to ESPN but there may have been two or three times as many people watching which obviously translates to a much bigger % of the population.
    In the UK tonight I think it’s possible to watch live Premier League coverage from 5.30 pm to 10.15 just on Sky. A delight for some and misery for others I suppose. Loads more ‘pacifying’ matches on throughout the week although there’s some ‘class’ on Sky, for those who are struggling, tomorrow evening...Leeds v Derby 2019.

Indeed a typo rA. Too late to change it now. 10%

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)