+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This transfer window

In a way it is like January 2017 - in as much as we are in a similar league position.
    But that’s only the similarity.

On the other hand it’s complete different to January 2017 - as at that time we sold Winnall, Hourihane, Bree and let Morsy go back.
    And another 4 first team players were being offered contracts from other clubs.

And importantly it’s worth remembering we didn’t sign anyone during that window.

EIGHT first team players were being shown the door in January 2017.
    Hecky was having a team with a very good chance of achieving promotion sold from under him.

That’s like us selling Woodrow, Mowatt, Brittain and letting Palmer go out on loan.
    While there is unsettling contract offers from other clubs for Chaplin, Mads, Williams and Helik.

So no - it’s nothing like the disastrous January 2017 window.

I’ll always remember playing hell about what was happening during that transfer window on the BBS - saying that it’s putting the club at risk of relegation even though we are near the play offs.
    General opinion on the BBS at that was
    WE’LL BE ALREIGHT.

Well proof is in the pudding.
    We dropped like a stone during the second half of the 2016 / 2017 season.
    The season after we were relegated.
    It’s taken all this time to recover from the January 2017 window.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 12-01-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    In a way it is like January 2017 - in as much as we are in a similar league position.
    But that’s only the similarity.

On the other hand it’s complete different to January 2017 - as at that time we sold Winnall, Hourihane, Bree and let Morsy go back.
    And another 4 first team players were being offered contracts from other clubs.

And importantly it’s worth remembering we didn’t sign anyone during that window.

EIGHT first team players were being shown the door in January 2017.
    Hecky was having a team with a very good chance of achieving promotion sold from under him.

That’s like us selling Woodrow, Mowatt, Brittain and letting Palmer go out on loan.
    While there is unsettling contract offers from other clubs for Chaplin, Mads, Williams and Helik.

So no - it’s nothing like the disastrous January 2017 window.

I’ll always remember playing hell about what was happening during that transfer window on the BBS - saying that it’s putting the club at risk of relegation even though we are near the play offs.
    General opinion on the BBS at that was
    WE’LL BE ALREIGHT.

Well proof is in the pudding.
    We dropped like a stone during the second half of the 2016 / 2017 season.
    The season after we were relegated.
    It’s taken all this time to recover from the January 2017 window.
    The biggest difference in my opinion is that Hourihane and Winnall were far more influential on that team than anybody we currently have in this group .

Hourihane couldn't be replaced , it was impossible .

Winnall again was a pure goalscorer here and his goals were massively missed .

Mowatt leaving can be overcome in my opinion .

It's Woodrow we can't replace , that would hurt us , no doubt about it .

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Theyll sell to pay for the two who have come in. Its in their DNA
    In this particular case I don’t think so.
    We are well past the point of no return on this one now in my opinion.
    I hope I’m wrong.

Poggy, if Mowatt doesnt accept our offer, I am convinced they will sell at any price rather than allow him to walk out for nowt in June.

Its how our owners roll.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Poggy, if Mowatt doesnt accept our offer, I am convinced they will sell at any price rather than allow him to walk out for nowt in June.

Its how our owners roll.

Time will tell.
    In this instance Ethal don’t think its their intentions to sell just to pay for the two who have come in they will sell because Mowett is stalling.

If they sell then I would expect a replacement to come in. Time will tell.

As for the owners DNA then yes it’s what they are good at balancing transfer finances and to be honest players and agents couldn’t care less about any Clubs current financial situation, they never have and they never will.

We will sell. And why it surprises anyone is beyond me. First time i saw it we sold carl Tyler . Weve sold every asset ever since. Disheartening i know but its how we are.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The biggest difference in my opinion is that Hourihane and Winnall were far more influential on that team than anybody we currently have in this group .

Hourihane couldn't be replaced , it was impossible .

Winnall again was a pure goalscorer here and his goals were massively missed .

Mowatt leaving can be overcome in my opinion .

It's Woodrow we can't replace , that would hurt us , no doubt about it .
    Agree Animal with both posts. Fck him. We can play Styles and Kane in the middle with Palmer and Christie Davies in reserve and Sibbick and Halme who are great on the ball. Got too big for his boots.

My favourite player Mowatt but he's conducting himself like a prick tease.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Agree Animal with both posts. Fck him. We can play Styles and Kane in the middle with Palmer and Christie Davies in reserve and Sibbick and Halme who are great on the ball. Got too big for his boots.

My favourite player Mowatt but he's conducting himself like a prick tease.
    What bugs me is that we could spend a extra 60000 a week in wages until the end of the season £720000) to get the quality we need for around 12 weeks of the season ie hourihane and Austin (before he rejoined qpr) and have a good go, if it doesn’t work - give them back! But let’s be fair, you can spend £700000 nowadays on two croques of sh!te

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12