+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT Audiobooks

OT Audiobooks

I have never listened to an audiobook but thought I’d try them during my daily walk.

I downloaded Audible and picked The Thursday Murder Club as my first free download. Started listening today and surprised how much I needed to actually concentrate. Especially on the descriptive stuff and character introductions.

The whole book is over 12 hours listening.

Anyone have any recommendations or tips for staying focused.
    My concentration span isn’t the best.

Yeh, try 'Watch with Mother' and make your own pictures up as you take your walk

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Yeh, try 'Watch with Mother' and make your own pictures up as you take your walk
    I’m far too young to get that reference. Was that sommat from black and white telly days?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I’m far too young to get that reference. Was that sommat from black and white telly days?
    *cough* .....don't know what you're talking about.....

I have never listened to an audiobook but thought I’d try them during my daily walk.

I downloaded Audible and picked The Thursday Murder Club as my first free download. Started listening today and surprised how much I needed to actually concentrate. Especially on the descriptive stuff and character introductions.

I've tried a few times to listen to audiobooks but my mind always wanders or switches off at some point. I gave up and listen to podcasts when walking/driving now and stick to reading books

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    *cough* .....don't know what you're talking about.....
    Might learn you to keep your gob shut Brin

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    I've tried a few times to listen to audiobooks but my mind always wanders or switches off at some point. I gave up and listen to podcasts when walking/driving now and stick to reading books
    I think that may be where I end up with them. I’ll keep trying during this free trial.
    It could be that I’ve picked the wrong type of book.

I've listened to audio books on my twice daily dog walks for years. In my experience, the key factor is the narrator. A good book can be completely ruined by a poor storyteller. Likewise, a book or topic that you'd normally not consider can draw you in by the quality of the narration. Also, auto biographies come to life if they're narrated by the subject of the biography. I'd recommend Frank Skinner's auto biography it's made even more hilarious by him reading it.

For me, audio books are an opportunity to "read" stuff I'd otherwise not have time to. From classics to new authors. George Orwell's stuff translates well onto audiobook and I'd give The Stone Man by Luke Smitherd a go if you fancy a sci-fi thriller that's completely off the wall. The superb narration alone by Matt Addis makes it worth a go.

Happy Listening

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    I've listened to audio books on my twice daily dog walks for years. In my experience, the key factor is the narrator. A good book can be completely ruined by a poor storyteller. Likewise, a book or topic that you'd normally not consider can draw you in by the quality of the narration. Also, auto biographies come to life if they're narrated by the subject of the biography. I'd recommend Frank Skinner's auto biography it's made even more hilarious by him reading it.

For me, audio books are an opportunity to "read" stuff I'd otherwise not have time to. From classics to new authors. George Orwell's stuff translates well onto audiobook and I'd give The Stone Man by Luke Smitherd a go if you fancy a sci-fi thriller that's completely off the wall. The superb narration alone by Matt Addis makes it worth a go.

Happy Listening
    Thanks for the advice mate.