+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A message for Lawrence Shankland

A message for Lawrence Shankland

fehve at the back we play and its like Fort Knox,
    you very rarely get a pass in the opposition's box,
    but you play for Scotland and it will work oot fine,
    just keep shooting fae aboot the halfway line.

That goal is right up there and should be in and around most top 10 all time Utd goals from 1980 onwards. Like Mellon said was like a golf shot the way he launched without little backlift.

For long range missiles some of the best/favourites I can think are Ferguson v Hearts 86, Kopel v Anderlecht, McKinnon v Hearts Tynecastle 97, Bannon screamer Tannadice v Celtic around 84-85, Luggy a similar peach early 80s v Rangers, Hannah v Hibs around 2000, Johnny Russel v Ddee, Brebner v Hearts last min.

Absolutely great goal, highlights that a player with genuine ability even if his confidence seems low can still produce.

On another note, I think that maybe 2-3 shots like this during a match to keep a keeper on the back foot should always be used, this helps open up space behind the back 4 to play balls into rather than just playing what ultimately becomes a long pass to keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    That goal is right up there and should be in and around most top 10 all time Utd goals from 1980 onwards. Like Mellon said was like a golf shot the way he launched without little backlift.

For long range missiles some of the best/favourites I can think are Ferguson v Hearts 86, Kopel v Anderlecht, McKinnon v Hearts Tynecastle 97, Bannon screamer Tannadice v Celtic around 84-85, Luggy a similar peach early 80s v Rangers, Hannah v Hibs around 2000, Johnny Russel v Ddee, Brebner v Hearts last min.
    The (absolutely excellent) Arab Archive highlighted a very well struck Billy McKinlay strike recently.

Forgot about Badger, he had that peach v Rangers in the same match Butcher scored that OG from about 40 yards and McInally scythed Huistra! He had a couple of good goals against Hibs too.

Not forgetting Ray McKinnon's sliding tackle, one-two, and outside of the boot finish away to Motherwell also - I was at that game, besides that gem of a goal the other thing I remember is it was one of Lance Key's few games in goal for us, yikes.

Goodies overhead v Motherwell is my avator pic. Not the best goal at Tannadice but definitely one that I loved.

Ferguson v Hearts at the Shed end possibly THE best but Shanks goal has to up there in the top 3. ET end would have gone mental.

Craig brewster scored with one of the hardest shots i’ve ever seen hit... Wind assisted at Gayfield! Year we won the ćup, Shame the Cameras werent there to capture it, though they’d have struggled to keep up with it.

Have seen better 'strikes' but this! I will never forget the celebrations and what it meant!!

Truly brilliant mate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)