+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tommy johnson

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    And there was me thinking our record signing was £685,000.

Still, £750,000 suits your argument better!

The stats prove he needed the right partner up front which we never sorted, then fitted him in.

Make no mistake, I am not saying that he was a great player for us, but neither do I think he was as bad as made out.

The WSC article says 750k and that's how it was reported at the time, but now that you mention it, I do remember it being revised officially by 65k less.... but that still makes him an enormous waste of money.

Once he was played on the wing, he was no longer an embarrassment anymore and actually did do OK (apart from the temper tantrum at being subbed). nothing special by any stretch but he put the effort in and was popular with Z block for that reason. We spent that money to get us goals to help us stay up however, definitely one of Notts' biggest ever mistakes in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The WSC article says 750k and that's how it was reported at the time, but now that you mention it, I do remember it being revised officially by 65k less.... but that still makes him an enormous waste of money.

Once he was played on the wing, he was no longer an embarrassment anymore and actually did do OK (apart from the temper tantrum at being subbed). nothing special by any stretch but he put the effort in and was popular with Z block for that reason. We spent that money to get us goals to help us stay up however, definitely one of Notts' biggest ever mistakes in my book.
    Agree with that, but was the mistake buying that particular player, or buying a player who didn't fit in to our team?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Agree with that, but was the mistake buying that particular player, or buying a player who didn't fit in to our team?
    That particular player didn't fit into the team, so it's both I suppose. He didn't have the ability to adapt to our style of play either, but the fee had nothing to do with him, it was our mistake not his. We should say Warnock's mistake, rather than Pavis, and that's not to blame Warnock, he just wouldn't have had the knowledge to know what would work at that level.

I was practically praying for Warnock to stay after we beat Brighton, but we would have got over it pretty quickly once the fixtures came out and began to look ahead. He said he didn't fancy the M25 so maybe we can blame a motorway for Notts narrowly missing out on the Premier League.
    I really do love Neil Warnock, its' a real shame it all ended the way it did. Had he gone to Chelsea, there'd have been a much greater chance of him returning to take us up for another go.
    A pivotal decision but we wouldn't have been in that position without him and it's all about the memories at the end of the day. Notts need to make some more like that.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I really do love Neil Warnock, its' a real shame it all ended the way it did. Had he gone to Chelsea, there'd have been a much greater chance of him returning to take us up for another go.
    Must admit I've often wondered about that. Warnock has always seemed to relish the challenge of going to a club at rock bottom, and we've been there several times. In his interviews over the years he seemed to retain a fair bit of affection for us as a club, but we've sunk so low he always had better offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Must admit I've often wondered about that. Warnock has always seemed to relish the challenge of going to a club at rock bottom, and we've been there several times. In his interviews over the years he seemed to retain a fair bit of affection for us as a club, but we've sunk so low he always had better offers.
    My memory of Warnock in the first division season is that he always had a bit of an inferiority complex with little Notts County going to play all the big clubs. In hindsight it may have have been better for him and us if he had gone to Chelsea.

I don’t know if he’s had a similar attitude with other clubs and that’s the reason he’s never really cut it in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think he was approached by Pavis for a return at the time Murphy was sacked, we were definitely linked in the press and Warnock may have since confirmed it in an interview somewhere. I remember we were due to play Warnock's Plymouth at home 28/Dec/1996 when we had Mark Smith as caretaker, I got to the ground to find that the match had been called off after a late inspection (it would have been the first time we'd come up against Warnock at home since his departure). The NEP interviewed him after he'd had the chance to look around the new main stand that he'd been largely responsible for making possible and he was saying how proud he felt of his achievements and that he'd now got over the bitterness he'd felt at being sacked. I suspect Pavis and Warnock had a chat then.

When NW did the interview over Zoom last year - talking about the play-offs etc he still had his Notts jacket and I didn't detect any ill-feeling at all.

Much as I would love to have seen him back, I think it's better that he didn't.

I also think that ex-players are best not coming back as managers. I would rather remember them for the playing days than see them sacked if it doesn't work out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345