+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy johnson

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I blame Z block
    I was in Z block that night and it was the most disappointed I've ever felt with our own support.
    I was sad to hear the "Warnock Out" chants, which not that many joined in with but I could understand why they did. The booing for Johnson however was totally baffling, particularly when you take into account that there were none for Craig Short who was also returning to ML for the first time since leaving for Derby. What were they thinking?

Edit: Come to think of it, because it was Derby, they might have been Fword fans. I do remember when we played Derby at home in 1986 a fairly large group of lads on County Road starting up a chant of "We don't care we're F***** fans, doo-dah, doo-dah" after we went 3-0 down.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 15-01-2021 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I was in Z block that night and it was the most disappointed I've ever felt with our own support.
    I was sad to hear the "Warnock Out" chants, which not that many joined in with but I could understand why they did. The booing for Johnson however was totally baffling, particularly when you take into account that there were none for Craig Short who was also returning to ML for the first time since leaving for Derby. What were they thinking?

Edit: Come to think of it, because it was Derby, they might have been Fword fans. I do remember when we played Derby at home in 1986 a fairly large group of lads on County Road starting up a chant of "We don't care we're F***** fans, doo-dah, doo-dah" after we went 3-0 down.
    I think I was in Z block as well that night. it was all a bit of a come down after the crazy few years. Not sure how you can boo Tommy probably just a couple of pissed lads. My memory is a little dim now with the passing of time but Warnock did lose it a bit after we went down. I seem to remember watching us lose at home to Sunderland in the FA Cup a night match if I am correct and we lost I think 2-0 and were pants. It seemed that all the momentum had been sucked out of the club and I think he was sacked the next day. With the benefit of hindsight perhaps he should have taken Ken Bates offer and gone to Chelsea.

Boo Tommy Johnson?

Ooo Tommy Johnson.

Exactly.

It would be the modern equivalent of The Kop booing Lee Hughes if he had come back and faced us. I know the part of ground contains some right numpties but the Kop wouldn't have done that would they?

I still remember the reception Mark Stallard received when he played against us for Lincoln. Appropriate and a bit of class.

Exactly.

It would be the modern equivalent of The Kop booing Lee Hughes if he had come back and faced us. I know the part of ground contains some right numpties but the Kop wouldn't have done that would they?

I still remember the reception Mark Stallard received when he played against us for Lincoln. Appropriate and a bit of class.
    Not even close Laddo. Booing Tommy who was one of our own from a kid is truly awful. I don't remember much booing though at that game.Johnson Draper and Short sales bought us the new Meadow Lane as is but I would argue that has turned out to be a very very bad thing but that's another story. Hughes was a journeyman striker who did very well for Notts although he flagged pretty badly at the end and getting rid at the time was the right choice as shown by what he achieved after, and only played for the club due to our very weird situation at that time. He's a West Brom lad at heart. Tommy is Notts through and through.

I wasn't comparing the players or amount of time at the club QLD, nor the decision or timing of the sales. I was comparing their popularity at Meadow Lane and what reception a very popular player would have received.

Would Lee Hughes have been noticeably booed if he had left Notts and comeback to face us not long after? In fact did he play against us for Vale?

Anyone booing Oooooo Tommy should be ashamed.

As for the ground, all three top players that you should build your team/club around but as you know we desperately needed a new ground. It was crumbling around us on match days

I remember being at a game(might have been the season we lost our League status or the season before) and was surprised to hear the Kop booing a former player who'd served us well. Buggered if I can remember who it was now so would appreciate some help.
    Last edited by Ayeayeskipper; 16-01-2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to add 'former' player

I wasn't comparing the players or amount of time at the club QLD, nor the decision or timing of the sales. I was comparing their popularity at Meadow Lane and what reception a very popular player would have received.

Would Lee Hughes have been noticeably booed if he had left Notts and comeback to face us not long after? In fact did he play against us for Vale?

Anyone booing Oooooo Tommy should be ashamed.

As for the ground, all three top players that you should build your team/club around but as you know we desperately needed a new ground. It was crumbling around us on match days
    Wasn't great. However! Yes we did need a new ground, but with the benefit of hindsight, and in my opinion only we built a new ground at a really really bad time for us. Look up previous posts to see information on this. I am quite sure Hughsey got a great reception from our fans when we played Port Vale and I hopefully I will visit that ground again soon as after COVID finishes I expect to spend a lot of time in the UK. Cheers Laddo.

It retrospect the timing was indeed bad.

Hindsight, you gotta love it.

The real issue here isn't using the money for the stadium, it's that we never produced another Johnson or Draper nor signed a Short and maybe over £2m on a player. Imagine if in the 25 odd years since we had been able to sell another 3 players of that quality with today's prices? Holy cow!

It retrospect the timing was indeed bad.

Hindsight, you gotta love it.

The real issue here isn't using the money for the stadium, it's that we never produced another Johnson or Draper nor signed a Short and maybe over £2m on a player. Imagine if in the 25 odd years since we had been able to sell another 3 players of that quality with today's prices? Holy cow!
    Seriously Laddo? BOSMAN.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast