+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Bands - Better Live than in the Studio

Cher sounded exactly the same live as she did on records. Probably down to the fact that she was miming when we saw her. What a waste of money (can't remember which of her farewell tours it was) to see her do just a 45 minute 'set' of costume changes and lip synching. Thankfully, Cyndi Lauper was her support act and gave good value for money in 90 minutes of live singing.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Indeed CT. I used to live and work in Ewhurst and would often encounter AS. it's a small world.
    Nice one, Sota. We really need to get together one day since we seem to have much in common.

Ewhurst was 60s rock star central for a while. Didn’t Clapton have a house nearby and I believe the great Gary Brooker of Procol Harum fame?

I didn’t know AS was a local. He’s pretty ancient now having been an associate of the great Zoot Money in the early 60s. (Played lovely guitar on that great Dantalions Chariot record with ZM.)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Cher sounded exactly the same live as she did on records. Probably down to the fact that she was miming when we saw her. What a waste of money (can't remember which of her farewell tours it was) to see her do just a 45 minute 'set' of costume changes and lip synching. Thankfully, Cyndi Lauper was her support act and gave good value for money in 90 minutes of live singing.
    I was just about to post I think I prefer bands to sound different live to their recorded work even down to few mistakes thrown in here and there when performing live, adds to the atmosphere and uniqueness of the gig (I don't mind them being called that&#128521

I mentioned on another thread I went to see Chris Rea quite a few years ago, and it was an almost perfect rendition of the recorded work.
    As technically impressive as that was, I just found it a bit boring.

I saw Iron Maiden support Judas Priest at Sheffield City Hall, around ‘79/80.
    Their first album was good but live they were awful. The ‘sound’ was cranked up to distortion and Paul DiAno’s ‘singing’ would’ve suited a punk band!!
    Saw them again with Bruce Dickinson up front and it was like a different band!!

One of the best gigs was The Cult at Sheffield Octagon.

I thought one of omd”s tracks was performed better live.......just tying to think what it was called now....oh yeah enola BLGT...

Better live:
    Orbital, Saint Etienne, Oasis, Suede and Pulp.

Better in the studio:
    Doves, Morrissey, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, The Human League and New Order (although Peter Hook was excellent as a solo artist).

Manic Street Preachers and Stiff Little Fingers sound amazing live.

Pod. I saw Peter hook and the light on a ferry to Amsterdam 2 years ago.

He did a solo and JD set on the way there and a solo and NO set on the way back.

Some lads on the ferry were caught with cocaine and security locked them in a cell for the entire trip there and back until they were handed to the police on the return.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Manic Street Preachers and Stiff Little Fingers sound amazing live.

Pod. I saw Peter hook and the light on a ferry to Amsterdam 2 years ago.

He did a solo and JD set on the way there and a solo and NO set on the way back.

Some lads on the ferry were caught with cocaine and security locked them in a cell for the entire trip there and back until they were handed to the police on the return.
    I’m glad the little roustabouts were caught and handed over to the authorities Scum.
    I saw Peter Hook at the Octagon some years ago and I wasn’t expecting much, but he was outstanding.
    Not sure if you remember a band called Dubstar in the mid to late 90’s? I saw them at the Leadmill around ‘98 and they were absolutely brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by poddington View Post
    I’m glad the little roustabouts were caught and handed over to the authorities Scum.
    I saw Peter Hook at the Octagon some years ago and I wasn’t expecting much, but he was outstanding.
    Not sure if you remember a band called Dubstar in the mid to late 90’s? I saw them at the Leadmill around ‘98 and they were absolutely brilliant.
    They ought to have been charged with stupidity for taking drugs into Amsterdam. I’m sure it’s supposed to be the other way around.

I do remember Dubstar but never saw them. I’m a big fan of Super Furry Animals. Their live sets are epic. It’s more of an event than a concert.

Loud, beautiful, cross genres and some songs in welsh which sound fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Nice one, Sota. We really need to get together one day since we seem to have much in common.

Ewhurst was 60s rock star central for a while. Didn’t Clapton have a house nearby and I believe the great Gary Brooker of Procol Harum fame?

I didn’t know AS was a local. He’s pretty ancient now having been an associate of the great Zoot Money in the early 60s. (Played lovely guitar on that great Dantalions Chariot record with ZM.)
    Indeed we do CT. Yes Eric carillon lives there and

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast