+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Good Read

A Good Read

Saw some posts on Warnock and did a little googling to refresh my memory. I could not find what I was after which is his results the season after we were relegated but I did not try that hard. This is the pick of the bunch ( in my opinion) .

https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/14090-...e-top-division

Bloody hot here today big storm rumbling in now enjoy your lock down and the reading pommies.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Saw some posts on Warnock and did a little googling to refresh my memory. I could not find what I was after which is his results the season after we were relegated but I did not try that hard. This is the pick of the bunch ( in my opinion) .

https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/14090-...e-top-division

Bloody hot here today big storm rumbling in now enjoy your lock down and the reading pommies.
    Just 2 wins and 9 defeats in 18 league games saw him get his marching orders, I think it was the 2-0 home defeat to Sunderland in the FA Cup was his last game? Interesting to see that our average home league attendance that season was only a thousand or so more for the second tier than we currently get in tier 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Just 2 wins and 9 defeats in 18 league games saw him get his marching orders, I think it was the 2-0 home defeat to Sunderland in the FA Cup was his last game? Interesting to see that our average home league attendance that season was only a thousand or so more for the second tier than we currently get in tier 5.
    As you are a stats man factor in the gate price and wages and I think you'll find an interesting end game! I think that was a particularly poor time for attendances generally though from memory I forget why perhaps the start of more football on TV? His marching orders was the right decision at the time I think. he hasn't always been successful and other than Sheffield Utd doesn't hang around long. He made my late ****s a great time to be alive though so I would buy him a pint any day. He was a great manager for Notts but something went very badly wrong then and I don't think it has been discussed much.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    As you are a stats man factor in the gate price and wages and I think you'll find an interesting end game! I think that was a particularly poor time for attendances generally though from memory I forget why perhaps the start of more football on TV? His marching orders was the right decision at the time I think. he hasn't always been successful and other than Sheffield Utd doesn't hang around long. He made my late ****s a great time to be alive though so I would buy him a pint any day. He was a great manager for Notts but something went very badly wrong then and I don't think it has been discussed much.
    Yep, regardless of how it ended you can never take away the the memories that era gave us.

Still can't understand why Mick Walker was sacked

Stating the obvious, but worth reminding ourselves that Warnock had never managed higher than the 4th tier before he came to us and as a player I don't think he'd played higher than the 3rd (definitely not top flight). His assistant Mick Jones had no experience to speak of either. Sirrel barely had any experience of tier 1 and Wilkinson none, but we didn't jump from tier 3 to tier 1 in successive seasons. Going up that quickly with no experience to call upon once the momentum was lost caught up with us.

Had Warnock gone to Chelsea, I reckon David Pleat would have been the most likely replacement. Pleat was linked with the job at the time Warnock was sacked. We'd have needed 5 additional points to the 40 Warnock managed, Pleat got 42 with Luton that season, so you'd be asking him to pull 3 extra points out of the bag with Notts to baptize us as a Premier League club.