+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Accies away

Nothing to fear from any of those home games outwith the obvious and Celtic haven't much to play for league wise now outwith making sure they finish second

I don't get the whole worry, picking up away pts is absolutely fine, our record against the teams below is fine, we aren't giving them 3 pts against us, we've already proven we can pick up wins at home

Only defeat in last seven was at Celtic Park, picked up pts at Hibs and Aberdeen, if we start losing a few back to back then that would be a concern, but we aren't just, hasn't really been a theme of the season

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    Huge frustration/worry is that St Johnstone and Hamilton from this quarter are two of the most winnable games. We don't win on road, and have to play Ross County and Motherwell away who both seem to be rallying and these are 6 pointers. From our home games we play Hibs, Livi, Celtic, Aberdeen, and St Mirren. Don't see many wins there. Fingers crossed Fuchs is back, I'd have thought even if we are starting games defensive there would be opportunities to introduce likes of Bolton with 20 mins to go.
    We are going alright at the moment. I hope we don’t lose Benji or anyone else important (like shanks) or these draws will turn into losses

I think given the matches we have and where we are the St Mirren match is going to be massive

Agree with others that powers has done well. Also our problem is passing the ball and at least he can do that, though I feel sometimes he slows it down a bit too much

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Nothing to fear from any of those home games outwith the obvious and Celtic haven't much to play for league wise now outwith making sure they finish second

I don't get the whole worry, picking up away pts is absolutely fine, our record against the teams below is fine, we aren't giving them 3 pts against us, we've already proven we can pick up wins at home

Only defeat in last seven was at Celtic Park, picked up pts at Hibs and Aberdeen, if we start losing a few back to back then that would be a concern, but we aren't just, hasn't really been a theme of the season
    The worry is the form. One win in nine at a now v!tal point of the season while teams around us are picking up. Only Motherwell are worse off than us in the form guide right now. I do think we'll be okay, but a win or two would go a mighty long way to easing the pressure.

Depends if you are glass half full and use 9 games as the barometer, I am using 7 as we had the livi away Sevco home games that we lost but on the back of that we had a difficult run that included tough away games, we drew at Easter Rd, plus we took 4 pts from 6 at home, then went to Celtic Park and lost without our first choice cm pairing who were getting better, 3 days later drew at Pittodrie to start the new year, followed by two more hard fought draws

Think we are doing OK, I guess either way, we have come through that 7-9 games and remained top 6 for more so the rest can't be doing that great apart from livi who are the anamoly

I just wish that Chalmers and Fuchs had stayed fit this season.

Imagine if every week we were able to field a consistent team that looked something like this:

Benji
    Smith Connolly Reynolds Robson
    Chalmers Fuchs Powers Appere/Sporle - (depending on opposition)
    Shankland + one of Clark and McNulty

I'd be confident going into most matches against the teams around us that can cause them problems whilst staying solid.

I get the reasoning for going 3 at the back but what about the 4-5-1 we started the season with?

Imagine Ranger/Celtic/Sheep/Hibs games if we can put out a team like this:

Benji
    Smith Connolly Reynolds Robson
    Chalmers Butcher Fuchs Powers Sporle
    Shankland

That team has defensive stability, it has legs and football ability in midfield, it has wingers (almost) who can run with the ball and delivery a decent ball into the box for Shankland. I just dont know why we havent given it a go yet. You could play that above team right now but Bolton for Chalmers and Harkes for Fuchs (with them being out injured). Surely a 4-5-1 is better than a 3-5-2 if we are trying to be hard to beat?

I just feel like we are trying to cram Clark and McNulty into this team. Both two of our best players, no doubt, but our main man is Shankland, and he scores when balls are put into the box. Sporle and Bolton haven't been injured at all this season and I think they have been underused as wingers. I know Bolton has been a bit up and down but give him a run of games as an out and out winger with a proper target to hit and we might see different.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Depends if you are glass half full and use 9 games as the barometer, I am using 7 as we had the livi away Sevco home games that we lost but on the back of that we had a difficult run that included tough away games, we drew at Easter Rd, plus we took 4 pts from 6 at home, then went to Celtic Park and lost without our first choice cm pairing who were getting better, 3 days later drew at Pittodrie to start the new year, followed by two more hard fought draws

Think we are doing OK, I guess either way, we have come through that 7-9 games and remained top 6 for more so the rest can't be doing that great apart from livi who are the anamoly
    It is a tough division this year. It is a cliche but there are no easy matches

We have had relatively tough matches but then looking forward I would not say there are any gimmes in the matches until the split.

We are home to St Mirren and Hibs and then away to Motherwell and Ross Co with their new managers

Other matches before the split include livi, sheep and the old firm

Sooner we can get enough points to be top 6 or ensure we stay up the better.

Then it will be time to strengthen the midfield ahead of fans coming back next year !

Gonna be contraversial here & I'm normally Peter Positive so do forgive me....

There is more chance of us being relegated than there is of finishing top six.

There, I've said it. I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post

I think we'll end up 8th or 9th. And honestly, I am absolutely fine with that. As long as we show progress next season. Staying up is the 1 and only goal. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post

No need for apologies or forgiveness. That is your opinion, which you are well entitled to (on here)

You might not be too far away there by being realistic, maybe if you had said "relegation trouble/battle" it might not have sounded so black and white.

I think as others have mentioned ,and bookies always look at, other teams always take points off other teams, it's not as simple as "we win fev ,they lose twa"

I do also think we might not end up top six, but, that was never the goal. Where we are is good, where we end up is anyone's guess, but,I'm happy enough just now (with position)

At least you had the bottle to come on and say exactly what you thought .

Try it on TEK ??? mon now GB ................

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I'd love to see a front six of this when all are fit & able. Two composed ball playing centre mids with two wide players outside them. Of course, this would require a back four so it'll probably never happen.

Chalmers Fuchs Powers Appere
    ..........McNulty Shankland

Would love to see the Appere of last season. Strong, quick & direct cutting in from the left. Thought he was superb there before being dropped for the golden child.
    I'm liking that. Two players in the middle who won't give away possession easily and two on the flanks that offer a real threat.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)