+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Plymouth

Plymouth

So, the return (?) of Perry? Return for Lancashire ? If so, is Offord out? If Lowery is available, will he start?
    Plymouth apparently have not strengthened at the back and I believe Gorgeous George is out for the season, possibly to be replaced at wing-back by Grant. However, they will probably be playing 3-5-2 with their two main strikers back up front.
    If Charlie, Harry and Dale are on form and Perry returns to dart down the wing, we should be able to put their back line under a lot of pressure. I assume that this time, at home, Plymouth will go for it and then hopefully leave themselves open to counter-attack. That was one of the things so rewarding against Rochdale (in the 1st half), how we attacked at pace because Rochdale came on to us. Such a change from the slow build up against teams letting us have the ball.
    If Plymouth do 'go for it', can our defence hold out? And can we be as ruthless as the 45 minutes against the 'Dale.

Having said all that, my prediction is 2-1 to Argyle.

I am hopeful rather than optimistic today, but that hope evaporated somewhat when I saw that Trigger is between the posts. No Pez in the 18, but a stronger bench with Ports and Lowery - still no Powell, which is a shame as I seem to recall it was against them that he had his top performance, making a right idiot of their RB!

Sadly, I have to agree with gazan and suggest a narrow defeat, but maybe we’ll deserve to lose and the referee will come to our rescue to pay us back for last season’s loss. I won’t hold my breath.

No Perry???? Has he signed for someone?

I’m sure we will find out in due course. Might have the dreaded lurgy of course.

Just watched the first half. Shocking decision for the penalty, made even more so by the crack-pot commentary on iFollow. Having said that, we've been really bad so far. Our midfield is wide open. Wintle is dropping way too deep. He's almost a third centre half. Doing this, he's leaving Finney and Murphy outnumbered in the middle. They must've had 5 or 6 relatively uncontested shots from the edge of our area. Hopefully improvement to come after some words from Dave and Kenny.

So - Full-time, and we have a draw. Better performance from us this half and a really good goal to get us level, and we created a couple more chances on top. We were still way too open in the midfield though. Wintle again dropping off and dropping off, until he's in the back line. He, more than anyone in that midfield three, is supposed to be the defensive screen, stopping the opposition from getting onto the back line and stopping their midfield from picking their passes. I genuinely don't think it's a natural role for him (When he still in the U23s he was touted as a George Cooper/Charlie Kirk/Ryan Colclough sort of player). In the first 10 - 15 minutes of the second half, he made some really good runs from midfield and he can pick a pass. I think he is naturally a more forward thinking player and we got away with that last season due to the level of opposition we were playing then. I'm not having a pop at Wintle here. i just think he's the proverbial square peg. I honestly believe, if we could get a true midfield enforcer, with a decent defensive brain, we would transform. On the positives; we looked much better after Lowery came on. Got on the ball and used it well (for the most part). Overall, probably a fair result, but I don't think you could've argued either if either side had of won it. And, of course, we remain to find out the Ng situation.

Apparently, Ng "didn't have his head in the right place". That was according to a comment by KL to RS.
    As for the game, not one of our best but the second half was much better. So Finney scored again (well taken), keeps him in the team for another 10 games. (DA now saying on RS that the club are in closing positions over Ng signing).
    A bit more from Finney today but still missing for much of the game. Perhaps that's why we were overrun in midfield in the first half.
    Interestingly, Trigger had a good game- a couple of really good saves in the game, so he'll be playing on Tuesday.
    A lot of players didn't get going, even Offord looked a little out of sorts. Difficult to pick a man of the match. Mandron looked very tired. Perhaps we need to look again how we play up front. I assume this is Porters last season.
    Ah well roll on Tuesday!

Even so, a point better than we expected gaz!! And, although I only watched the highlights and read both accounts on the clubs’ websites, fair do’s to Trigger - some cracking saves on his part got us that point.