+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Charlie and Callum

Charlie and Callum

Dario apparently once said that Kirk and Ainley would be our next 1million pound sales. How does that look at the moment? Of the two Charlie has easily achieved the higher level of performance but is it anywhere near his potential? There are going to be players leaving (for various fees but not a million) before him and how is that going to play out against his psyche? His mates will be leaving him behind. Will that galvanise or discourage him? He is brilliant on his day but not consistent. He has a little tendency to showboat and to lose concentration in terms of outcomes. Against Rochdale we saw the best and worst of him. The third goal showed excellent control, fitness and decision making. However, Rochdale's second came directly after his bit of ball juggling followed by an aimless lob into the box. To my mind he is best when he is pressuring defenders and his runs from deep centrally show what he can do. He, of course is brilliant down the left with close touch football BUT for this he needs Pickering and if Harry were to leave, I don't think we would be as effective down that side. So.. I would still like him to play in Ainley's role occasionally and therefore giving Powell a chance on the left or even allow for Walker that so many are shouting for.
    Ainley, however, has never reached Charlie's level. He has moments of brilliance but then can just disappear from a game. He is unlucky in that his moments of brilliance in the last 12 months have occasionally led to an end product but then he gets a 'long-term' injury. Who knows whether a sustained place in the team may just about brought the best out of him. In the meantime, I have to confess that, on balance, Finney is more effective. At least Ollie can (eventually) score goals.
    I write this because I've made a few comments about Charlie recently that made me think. About a year ago, the world was his oyster (maybe) but, at the moment, he isn't the player that attention is focussed on, in terms of transfers out. Will he steal the limelight again?

For Dario’s £1million predictions to come true the transfer market is going to need a shot in the arm I think. If Pixie is rated at £750k, as reported elsewhere, then we don’t have a £1m player in our squad, I fear. I agree with everything you say about Charlie - he reminds me in so many ways of the player hereplaced, George Cooper. Cracking player on his day with goals and assists, just don’t expect much help defensively or great consistency.

I think Ainley has all the ability in the world and his performances, when available, this season have been better than last. Maybe the so called No 10 role suits him better than playing wide. There are also more sides playing football rather than setting out to stop us playing, which has given him more time to show his tricks. Finney looks a more complete player and is still really in his first season of being a regular starter. A late developer who will be worth more than either Charlie or Callum if he continues his upward trend and scores a few more.

Wintle is still our best player, imho, but nobody seems to want to pay good money for his sort of player. I’ll also throw young Offord into the mix as standing a chance if he carries on as he’s started, either at CB or RB - very calm player, reads the game well and knows how to tackle; just what you need in a defender.

I think the days of clubs paying out £million plus for lower league players seem to be over, certainly we have some extremely good players but £1 million is an unlikely price tag.

It seems Cardiff are prepared to pay that for the Crawley striker.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    It seems Cardiff are prepared to pay that for the Crawley striker.
    £200K rising to £500K with add ons according to Cardiff City.

who for? Pez or the Crawley striker?

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    who for? Pez or the Crawley striker?
    Watters from Crawley.