+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McKenna and AFC defence

McKenna and AFC defence

There’s been an awful lot of talk for a while about McKenna’s “regression “ . To be honest, I think this has been overstated. Whilst I would agree he hasn’t developed in the same way as his (astonishing) initial progress, I don’t think that his regression has been that significant. He still our best defender by a country mile - although that’s not exactly saying much.

Devlin on the other hand has regressed at an alarming rate. Initially the partnership with him and McKenna looked very solid and I was very surprised when Taylor was resigned.

I think both Devlin and Taylor have way too many bombscare moments to be anywhere near an effective partnership.

McKenna with either of the two does limit the bombscare moments though. I honestly can’t see us getting third or getting past the Tim’s without Scott.

I’m amazed I’m saying this but I think Considine is a better central defender than either Taylor or Devlin. If we can get Leigh fit, I would prefer him at LB, with Considine at CH, probably alongside Taylor.

Either way, I think McInnes’s midfield will become even more defensive (is that possible) to protect the back four, especially the CB’s.

Worrying times.

They've all regressed because they can't play together due to them being immobile and prone to brain farting. I said it would happen with McKenna.

I fully expect when a new manager comes in this summer none of the players above will be first choice defenders next season.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I fully expect when a new manager comes in this summer none of the players above will be first choice defenders next season.
    Aye, I can’t wait until the MLS cast-offs are brought in.

To be fair Devlin & Taylor looked like two baby girafffes chasing crisp packets in the wind last night.

Some of the highlighted blunders &/or woeful positioning shown on the TV was schoolboy stuff.

I’d play Considine at left centre half & try the young lad MacKenzie at left back, but McInnes won’t do that.

McKenna will be off for an "undisclosed" fee. Basically washers.

Regarding our central defenders...
    McKenna - hasn't progressed at all in the last year or so. Makes a lot of mistakes, but has the raw ingredients to potentially play at a higher level given the right coaching and an experienced partner alongside him. I think he'll be off in the summer. I think he has been a bit unsettled and this might be part of the reason why he's not improved.

Taylor - wasn't too excited by his re-signing, but generally he's done ok. He's a big physical presence and certainly doesn't lack effort. The problem is he's pretty limited ability-wise. He makes up for it at times with his enthusiasm, but sometimes his over-enthusiasm is costly - he goes flying into challenges unnecessarily and sometimes misses them completely, giving the opposition a chance they shouldn't really have. Positionally a bit suspect too at times.

Devlin - had high hopes for him at first, but he's a total and utter bombscare now. Gives me the fear whenever he comes off the bench. The number of times he misses challenges, or miskicks clearances, or just gives the ball away unnecessarily is frightening. Looks like he's got zero confidence. Looks panicky, and opposition players will play on that. How he gets called up to the Scotland squad is beyond me.

Considine - whatever flaws he has, he has probably been our most consistent defender this season. He's done okay filling in at LB again in Leigh's absence, and he's probably a better option in CB than Taylor, and definitely better than Devlin.

I do wonder whether McInnes might give the 3 at the back a go in some games with McKenna and Leigh both out now.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Aye, I can’t wait until the MLS cast-offs are brought in.

To be fair Devlin & Taylor looked like two baby girafffes chasing crisp packets in the wind last night.

Some of the highlighted blunders &/or woeful positioning shown on the TV was schoolboy stuff.

I’d play Considine at left centre half & try the young lad MacKenzie at left back, but McInnes won’t do that.
    Nobody is going to come in and improve the defenders that are being mentioned.

The only way they look half decent is if we have 2 sitting midfielders in front of them and have our wingers constantly tracking back to cover them,which is why we are so dreadful to watch.

McKenna will be sold for whatever bid comes in for him,Taylor or Devlin will be let go with the other being back up alongside Considine.

So 2 new centre backs who can actually defend and an actual left back are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I disagree.
    McKenna may go in the summer, but not envisaging Devlin or Taylor moving on.
    Taylor has been decent enough this season, he's curtailed his attempts to try and waltz out of defence like Lothar Matthias.
    Sticking to basic defending he's decent enough for the SPL.

Considine has once again been a stalwart for us. Yes he has his limitations, but generally, he's been extremely reliable, regardless where in the back line he's put. He'll exercise the option to extend I believe.

In that case, I envisage that we'll go with a central pairing of Taylor and Considine, with potentially young McKenzie, Power or Hanratty used as back-up.
    We may dip into the market for more experience, but I'm not envisaging getting in three replacements for McKenna, Devlin and Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I disagree.
    Taylor has been decent enough this season, he's curtailed his attempts to try and waltz out of defence like Lothar Matthias.

Considine has once again been a stalwart for us. Yes he has his limitations, but generally, he's been extremely reliable, regardless where in the back line he's put. He'll exercise the option to extend I believe.

In that case, I envisage that we'll go with a central pairing of Taylor and Considine, with potentially young McKenzie, Power or Hanratty used as back-up.
    We may dip into the market for more experience, but I'm not envisaging getting in three replacements for McKenna, Devlin and Taylor
    I envisage you are right. There's no way a new manager will come in and pap out all the defenders. Considine will retire with us but Taylor and Devlin won't be here that much longer and I McKenna will be sold for the first bid that comes in.

The much maligned "who's at fault thread" shirely would suggest that Considine isn't as reliable as you say he is? In my opinion he's probably been better than the others purely because the rest aren't much better. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

We have conceded a lot of goals considering we are so defensive and we have one of the best goalkeepers in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I disagree.

Even a super fan like yourself must be able to admit that Considine is better at left back than at centre back.

He is a centre back who has played left back more times for us than his natural position.

He is getting too old to play left back now and if he has never been able to cement his place as a first choice centre back he isn’t going to at 33.

Nobody is going to come in and improve him and Taylor so they should be back ups at best.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast