+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goal Celebrations

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Leicester as mentioned showed that it's perfectly possible to celebrate.

They've been interacting over 90 minutes, but certainly not as close as some of the goal celebrations.

There have been high-profile violations by some footballers of the Covid rules - can't remember any demands for them to resign, or need for a public statement.

In the public eye you have many privileges, but also huge responsibility too to set a good example.
    Absolutely. Footballers at the highest level before this pandemic began were in a bubble of a world removed from that of the average person. They often got criticised in wider society for being out of touch for that reason.

Players need to be seen to be doing the right thing at this crucial time in the pandemic. Otherwise they just look special and above or ignorant to the current societal rules, norms and guidance off the field.

We all know football is an emotive game and instinct kicks in when goals are scored but I’m sure they can still celebrate without getting in a big huddle and climbing all over each other for the rest of the season. It’s a small sacrifice compared to what many people have had to make.

Footballers need to follow the example set by the people who run the country, the politicians and top political strategists. As well as the experts in the medical field such as Chief Medical Officers and key Government Scientists..... Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Must admit that after watching football on a screen I feel a strange compulsion to meet up with people outside of my bubble, line up very closely in a wall with them and place my hands over my genitals, or wrestle with them in anticipation of an imaginary corner kick.
    I get urges to throw myself down on the ground and writhe around whenever someone walks past me on the pavement.

Obviously there is no issue with the BBC or any other broadcaster showing films or tv series that include hugging, shaking hands or people coming into close contact in everyday normal situations. Professional sportsmen in full kit being worked up into a state of euphoria however *is* going to be very confusing for the average football fan, who as we know, have great difficulty in differentiating a 50,000 seat stadium with a town square, a path around a duck pond, a country lane or their own front room.
    Older football fans in particular, whose health is more at risk, are far more susceptible to copying the actions of young footballers. I witnessed two elderly neighbours the other week recognise each other in the street, one jumped on top of the other until he fell to the ground, the wife of one of them piled on as well and when they eventually pulled themselves apart, one of them ran over to my window and made a love heart shape with his hands at me. I got so worked up I was manhandled by a steward and thrown out of my own house.
    We need to take this problem seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Obviously there is no issue with the BBC or any other broadcaster showing films or tv series that include hugging, shaking hands or people coming into close contact in everyday normal situations. Professional sportsmen in full kit being worked up into a state of euphoria however *is* going to be very confusing for the average football fan, who as we know, have great difficulty in differentiating a 50,000 seat stadium with a town square, a path around a duck pond, a country lane or their own front room.
    Older football fans in particular, whose health is more at risk, are far more susceptible to copying the actions of young footballers. I witnessed two elderly neighbours the other week recognise each other in the street, one jumped on top of the other until he fell to the ground, the wife of one of them piled on as well and when they eventually pulled themselves apart, one of them ran over to my window and made a love heart shape with his hands at me. I got so worked up I was manhandled by a steward and thrown out of my own house.
    We need to take this problem seriously.
    We certainly do. But I am sure you have said before that everyone should just do what they think is right.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Footballers need to follow the example set by the people who run the country, the politicians and top political strategists. As well as the experts in the medical field such as Chief Medical Officers and key Government Scientists..... Oops!
    Absolutely.

But is it a fair excuse for footballers to say, 'they didn't stick to it so I don't need to'?

I have heard so many blame Dominic Cummings, but whatever he did, frankly, it's a lame excuse.

Stay at home!

No but I don't think they would say that.

I have no issue with players celebrating on average once or twice during a game. It's the likes of Grealish , those Spurs players and plenty of others breaking rules to celebrate birthdays, meet up to play playstation and drink etc.

Those off the field headlines are far worse and damaging than players celebrating a goal on the pitch in front of no fans

If they're not going to stop organising their secks [censored] parties (Benjamin Mendy) or be condemned for doing them (Pep), then I don't think stopping them from hugging eachother is all that important to be fair

Act like you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Absolutely.

But is it a fair excuse for footballers to say, 'they didn't stick to it so I don't need to'?

I have heard so many blame Dominic Cummings, but whatever he did, frankly, it's a lame excuse.

Stay at home!
    You could blame him at the time because he was an idiot but not 6 months or more later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12