+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Present System And The Future

I think we have a very very exciting future.
    We play a quite unique style of football - which I agree is often not very attractive - can be highly frustrating - and as I’ve said in the past, is more akin to watching a boxing match than a football match. I suppose that is because it’s all action.
    But it is shocking our opponents and it’s getting results.
    And as Val improves the players and the squad that success rate will increase.

I think the 3-4-3 system is great and puts us on the front foot.
    It’s an attacking style of football.
    But we haven’t in the past had the full quota of players to play that system.
    Three at the back pushing high up the field means we have to have 3 tall defenders that are also quick over the ground and can cover the space left behind them.
    We haven’t had this.
    And teams have exploited this - Sheff W goal was a typical example.
    Hence Sibbick being recalled and the signing of Kiching.
    Very quick tall defenders.

Also the ‘vertical football’ that Val talks about means hitting the front players quickly - which is then quickly followed by midfield support.
    But to do that you need tall strong fast running strikers that can wrestle hold of the ball.
    And we haven’t had that type of player - until Morris arrived.
    During this window I can see another one of his type joining the club - especially if spaces open up if strikers leave (Thomas?).
    So the style and system is great - but to do it you need certain players with certain attributes that we just haven’t had - but we are now starting to recruit.

And as for recruitment.
    If you watch the film Moneyball it can give an indication of what’s happening.
    The recruitment could be better if we were paying more for the quality of the young players being brought in.
    But in saying that - the recruitment has been relatively successful so far.

If Mowatt goes we should have a look at bringing Josh Scowen back! Still only 27 has Championship experience and is on loan at Sunderland! He would be great in this team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12