+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First half of season- done.

First half of season- done.

If you'd offered me 23 points with:
    18 points gap to 20th (they're gone)
    12 points gap to 19th
    11 points gap to 18th

I'd have bitten your hand off, I honestly think this season could be one of the lowest ever needed to remain in the league. Sheffield united to survive basically need to go on form that would win them the league, not happening.

The other two might survive but I doubt it will be at our expense. Say we win 4 and lose 14 games between now and the end of the season. We'd still get to 35 points meaning the other two teams would have to get double the points in second half of season that they got in the first half.

I know people are getting annoyed but this is the level we are at now. We are managing to do pretty well despite having an entirely championship quality defense most of the time and an entirely championship quality midfield. Once we are safe and plan for next season I think things will look up a bit more but the goal this season always was to stay up and we will pick up enough points and wins to do this. We have been unlucky to lose our two new centre backs pretty much all season so far bar Koch playing some games and our strongest 11 compared to the one that lost to Brighton makes a big difference, having defenders with accurate passing and correct players playing correct positions in defense is invaluable.

GK- Casilla
    LB- Alioski (works hard but just isn't good enough defensively vs Prem level wingers)
    CB- Ayling (bloody hard worker and can't put a performance in but again isn't a CB and it cost us v Brighton)
    CB- Cooper (honest, hard worker but should be a third choice not a starter if we are making that next step)
    RB- Dallas (again- hard worker but should be there to fill in gaps not be a consistent right back)
    CDM- Struijk (centre back playing in midfield and it shows)
    CM- Klich (Good solid player)
    CM- Rodrigo (a striker trying to adapt to a deeper role)
    LM- Harrison
    RM- Raphinha (adapting and looks good)
    ST- Bamford

Best 11-

GK- Meslier
    RB- Ayling (needs upgrading)
    CB- Koch
    CB- Llorente
    LB- Dallas (needs upgrading)
    CDM- Phillips
    CM- Klich (needs backup/upgrading)
    CM- Rodrigo (need a genuine number 10)
    RW- Raphinha
    ST- Bamford (needs upgrading)
    LW- Harrison

Next season what we need to improve starters and back ups-

GK- Meslier/ ???????
    RB- ??????/ Ayling (Love Luke but that next step needs someone better)
    CB- Koch/ Struijk
    CB- Llorente/ Cooper
    LB- ?????/ Dallas (Again love Dallas and he will get lots of games, but he can't be our first choice there)
    CDM- Phillips/ ??????? (Gotta give up on Forshaw now and get genuine back up)
    CM- Klich/ ?????? (Needs challenge in there, maybe someone with a bit more defensive nouse)
    CM- ??????/ Pablo
    RW- Raphina/ Poveda
    ST- Rodrigo/ Bamford/ ????????
    LW- Harrison/ ?????? (Can Gelhardt, Summerville etc step up?)

Obviously we can't address all those positions but as a priority we need full backs and someone for the Phillips role or someone with capability to play further forward but is also comfortable playing deeper and winning the ball. Maybe some of the U23s can step up and really make a claim but what I've seen from likes of Shackleton, Davis etc I'm not convinced.

Good summary - of the u23 and out on loans maybe a couple from Drameh, Summerville, Alfie, Gotts, Greenwood and Gelhardt will step up.

Lot of players to offload in the summer who are out on Loan or coming to the end of deals.

SF 49ers upped their stake and invested money so that coupled with next years money should provide a decent pot to spend.

Thought White looked decent yesterday wonder if we will try for him again given he knows the system and can also play DM

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Good summary - of the u23 and out on loans maybe a couple from Drameh, Summerville, Alfie, Gotts, Greenwood and Gelhardt will step up.

Lot of players to offload in the summer who are out on Loan or coming to the end of deals.

SF 49ers upped their stake and invested money so that coupled with next years money should provide a decent pot to spend.

Thought White looked decent yesterday wonder if we will try for him again given he knows the system and can also play DM
    I like White but I think that ship has sailed, I'd rather we went out and got a genuine midfielder someone who can sit but also play higher up when Kalvin is fit/not suspended. We need someone who can slot in for him.

I honestly thought we'd have seen Drameh by now given our lack of options at full back, him not even getting a sniff makes me think he has been signed to train up and sell on. I think McCalmont and Gotts are not up to scratch. Greenwood, Summerville and Gelhardt we need to wait and see, Gelhardt is the one for me. He looks like he has good quality whenever you see him so I hope he develops well and can make that jump up.

Dont think Bielsa will be here next season, so the "kind" of player we need might differ depending on the philosophy of the new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    I like White but I think that ship has sailed, I'd rather we went out and got a genuine midfielder someone who can sit but also play higher up when Kalvin is fit/not suspended. We need someone who can slot in for him.

I honestly thought we'd have seen Drameh by now given our lack of options at full back, him not even getting a sniff makes me think he has been signed to train up and sell on. I think McCalmont and Gotts are not up to scratch. Greenwood, Summerville and Gelhardt we need to wait and see, Gelhardt is the one for me. He looks like he has good quality whenever you see him so I hope he develops well and can make that jump up.
    Joel, I watch most of the 23s games and Drameh is very good, i cant believe he isnt getting a look in, he is very quick, strong his passing is good, i like him alot..

If you'd offered me 23 points with:
    18 points gap to 20th (they're gone)
    12 points gap to 19th
    11 points gap to 18th

I'd have bitten your hand off, I honestly think this season could be one of the lowest ever needed to remain in the league. Sheffield united to survive basically need to go on form that would win them the league, not happening.

The other two might survive but I doubt it will be at our expense. Say we win 4 and lose 14 games between now and the end of the season. We'd still get to 35 points meaning the other two teams would have to get double the points in second half of season that they got in the first half.

I know people are getting annoyed but this is the level we are at now. We are managing to do pretty well despite having an entirely championship quality defense most of the time and an entirely championship quality midfield. Once we are safe and plan for next season I think things will look up a bit more but the goal this season always was to stay up and we will pick up enough points and wins to do this. We have been unlucky to lose our two new centre backs pretty much all season so far bar Koch playing some games and our strongest 11 compared to the one that lost to Brighton makes a big difference, having defenders with accurate passing and correct players playing correct positions in defense is invaluable.

GK- Casilla
    LB- Alioski (works hard but just isn't good enough defensively vs Prem level wingers)
    CB- Ayling (bloody hard worker and can't put a performance in but again isn't a CB and it cost us v Brighton)
    CB- Cooper (honest, hard worker but should be a third choice not a starter if we are making that next step)
    RB- Dallas (again- hard worker but should be there to fill in gaps not be a consistent right back)
    CDM- Struijk (centre back playing in midfield and it shows)
    CM- Klich (Good solid player)
    CM- Rodrigo (a striker trying to adapt to a deeper role)
    LM- Harrison
    RM- Raphinha (adapting and looks good)
    ST- Bamford

Best 11-

GK- Meslier
    RB- Ayling (needs upgrading)
    CB- Koch
    CB- Llorente
    LB- Dallas (needs upgrading)
    CDM- Phillips
    CM- Klich (needs backup/upgrading)
    CM- Rodrigo (need a genuine number 10)
    RW- Raphinha
    ST- Bamford (needs upgrading)
    LW- Harrison

Next season what we need to improve starters and back ups-

GK- Meslier/ ???????
    RB- ??????/ Ayling (Love Luke but that next step needs someone better)
    CB- Koch/ Struijk
    CB- Llorente/ Cooper
    LB- ?????/ Dallas (Again love Dallas and he will get lots of games, but he can't be our first choice there)
    CDM- Phillips/ ??????? (Gotta give up on Forshaw now and get genuine back up)
    CM- Klich/ ?????? (Needs challenge in there, maybe someone with a bit more defensive nouse)
    CM- ??????/ Pablo
    RW- Raphina/ Poveda
    ST- Rodrigo/ Bamford/ ????????
    LW- Harrison/ ?????? (Can Gelhardt, Summerville etc step up?)

Obviously we can't address all those positions but as a priority we need full backs and someone for the Phillips role or someone with capability to play further forward but is also comfortable playing deeper and winning the ball. Maybe some of the U23s can step up and really make a claim but what I've seen from likes of Shackleton, Davis etc I'm not convinced.
    Your right about lowest ever
    At this stage last season bournemouth and watford both had 23 points.....

Quote Originally Posted by klix View Post
    Your right about lowest ever
    At this stage last season bournemouth and watford both had 23 points.....
    Maybe on this date but not after 18 games, Watford were rubbish last year theres no way they had 23 points at halfway stage.

Maybe on this date but not after 18 games, Watford were rubbish last year theres no way they had 23 points at halfway stage.
    Yes of course the season started later it wont be after 18 games

After 18 last season we would have been around the same position and 10 points away from safety
    That's a decent indicator on this season looking at that we are well on course to be safe

I also though Drameh would make the 1st team squad and get minutes - sure he has 1st XI experience from his time at Fulham (as have Summerville and Gelherdt).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)