+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reinforcements needed at Turf Moor

Happy memories. My dad used to take me into the enclosure and then, as I got older, it was the cricket field end and occasionally the Beehole End.
    I have just been checking and the first 14 seasons I watched the Clarets we always finished in the top half of the table. The season that I joined the RAF, 1966/67, we finished 14th and that was the same for another 3 seasons when I used to travel back and forth from Germany. Sadly, the season I returned to England we were relegated!
    Those were halcyon days and I have to admit that, when we started on the downward trail in 1976/77 and had just started our 'hoped for' recovery by gaining promotion to the third tier just as the PL started, I never, ever thought that I would see us play in the top flight again in my lifetime.

Here we are, with lots of fans moaning and groaning about this, that and the other, which is their right as payng customers, however, I won't join them because I have more good memories from following the Clarets than all the bad ones.
    Eight relegations and eight promotions are what I have seen, although I do like to balance it out by saying that, in my lifetime there have been 9 promotions and 8 relegations. Que sera, sera!

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    My Dad used to take me in the Enclosure then and get me to the front.Some great games against Spurs in those day and I remember being very impressed with a certain Mr.Greaves.Seem to remember some trouble then when we played Everton as well.
    Yes Barrie Jimmy greaves was good, but I cannot forgive his miskick which left Adam Blacklaw stranded in the cup final. Spurs had a great creative player in John White, pity he died so young if I remember correctly he was killed by lightening.
    There was also another Londoner who would have been a great player to replace Tommy Cummings, a certain Bobby Moore. Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    Yes Barrie Jimmy greaves was good, but I cannot forgive his miskick which left Adam Blacklaw stranded in the cup final. Spurs had a great creative player in John White, pity he died so young if I remember correctly he was killed by lightening.
    There was also another Londoner who would have been a great player to replace Tommy Cummings, a certain Bobby Moore. Those were the days.
    John White was indeed killed by lightning while out playing golf. He was sheltering under a tree during a storm. He was in the Spurs side which played at Turf Moor in April 1964 and died in the summer of that year.

The window slams shut at 11pm on Monday 1 February.

Attachment 18107

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The window slams shut at 11pm on Monday 1 February.Attachment 18107
    That's all well and good BT, but has anyone told our recruitment team that it's actually open ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    That's all well and good BT, but has anyone told our recruitment team that it's actually open ?
    I think (!) they would be aware of that sinkov, but then again...

Attachment 18110

Targets.

Josh King from Bournemouth
    Jason Knight from Derby
    Lewis O'Biren from Huddersfield
    Jonjoe Kenny from Everton
    Troy Deeney from Watford (Hope thats not true)

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Matelot View Post
    Targets.

Josh King from Bournemouth
    Jason Knight from Derby
    Lewis O'Biren from Huddersfield
    Jonjoe Kenny from Everton
    Troy Deeney from Watford (Hope thats not true)
    All five in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    All five in a heartbeat!
    No no no.IF it happened we'd have to find something else to moan about

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    No no no.IF it happened we'd have to find something else to moan about
    I have never known Clarets fans be short of something to moan about in the 69 years that I have been going to the Turf!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)