+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our centre halves

Wile and Robertson possibly individually but most certainly in my opinion the best partnership.
    Back in those days the game was far more physical and defenders jobs were straightforward.
    Those guys never really had super pacey forwards against them like in today’s game.
    Wyle initially was just a great stopper, a row Z style no nonsense, it was Giles who influenced him to play out more.
    Robertson was far more cultured and used to bring the ball out of defence for us.
    But as another poster said Wyle BEST EVER CAPTAIN , no debate.

Martin Bennett would have gone on to be one our best CH , if hadn't have hurt his back.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Agree on all of the above but I think it’s impossible to separate him and Ally Robertson.

Either could’ve been captain and both were just as hard and committed.

I’d also add Martyn Bennett to that pair, he was every bit as good and if injuries had not curtailed him he’d have played for Man Utd and England.

I know for a fact he met Atkinson at The Moat House to discuss moving to United before he got the serious back injury.

Olsson and G Mac our best two since 1983 by an absolute mile.

Evans not fit to lace their boots.
    The game is all about opinions, which is what makes it so good.

I loved Olsson, a solid prem defender with loads of passion. But I thought Evans was a much better player than him.

To be perfectly honest I think that it is virtually impossible to compare players from different eras. I can remember, at an early age I may add, from Joe Kennedy and Jimmy Dugdale through to Ajeyi and Bartley today. You have to accept that the tackles accepted as fair in the 50's through to the last few seasons would end up as yellow or probably red cards today. You also have to take into consideration the type of pitches played on which made a difference to tackles. The balls were also much heavier in the 50's and early 60's. Yes, Wile and Robertson were excellent in their era, probably as good as any pairing at the time. Many of the central defenders mentioned by other posters were excellent too but as I say, I think that they can only be compared to their contempories.

Different attributes as CH's but I struggle to think of Evans as a 'much better player' than Olsson.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    The game is all about opinions, which is what makes it so good.

I loved Olsson, a solid prem defender with loads of passion. But I thought Evans was a much better player than him.

I loved Olsson too but would he have shown all the qualities of Evans for such a length of time in the Premier league ? I doubt it as most of the time it was championship football! Evans has regularly played decent for two top six sides in the Premier league which tells its own story.

Definitely Evans is the better of the two for me. I loved Olsson but can remember a number of times when he was poor and got a load of stick from our supporters! I separate lovely lovely guys from those who are not so lovely but perform better. Just like employees!

Consistent is the key word and Evans has performed consistently better on more games played than Olsson in my opinion especially at the top level. A huge huge loss when he left us but hey - poor contractual issues yet again!
    Last edited by baggieal; 18-01-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)