+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our centre halves

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    These players were in a different era to me. As many on here saw both, how did Wile & Kaye compare to say Jonny Evans & McCauley? Those two are probably the best defenders I've seen at the Albion in my lifetime.
    Prepare for ”They wouldn’t be fit to...” 😎😉

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Prepare for ”They wouldn’t be fit to...” ����
    I'm fully expecting it:

Would be interesting to have a balanced opinion on it though, and in what ways they were better.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Stan Jones !

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Can’t believe no one has mentioned Stan Jones !
    Hi , I used watch Stan train at Spring rd in the morning, then see him in Chip shop in the afternoon.
    Because he got know us, he used to give extra chips.

I'm fully expecting it:

Would be interesting to have a balanced opinion on it though, and in what ways they were better.
    If you are going to accuse me 'it were all better in my day' then guilty as charged.

I would put John Wile as not only our best centre half in my time but would also be captain of my All Time Albion XI. All of that is a matter of opinion but his length of service (500 games) is a matter of fact and that alone stands him above GMac (my favourite player for a few seasons) and Evans not in the same league as a Baggie.

In the modern era only Ben Foster would make my All Time XI. From the team of 78/79 I might select as many as 9.

These players were in a different era to me. As many on here saw both, how did Wile & Kaye compare to say Jonny Evans & McCauley? Those two are probably the best defenders I've seen at the Albion in my lifetime.
    Evans and McCauley were good but the partnership was short lived. I think that the best pairing that I have seen at the Albion was John Wile and Ally Robertson, they were a match for anyone, a great pair of defenders. When I first started going to the Albion, John Kaye was a centre forward and then fell back to wing half, another great servant of the Albion.

It is quite rare as an Albion supporter to witness a great player in the stripes, so those who have a longer memory can fully appreciate what was then compared to now. Wile was immense and his record speaks volumes. 600 appearances rarely missed a game for 7 seasons and helped us win promotion in 76

A proper fighter on the field, i never saw him shirk a tackle. He was a natural leader who was always shouting and urging his team mates around him. Brave also with his head in bandages in the FA Cup semi. He was a very strong defender and uncompromising in the tackle and I doubt i will ever see a more inspirational leader. He will always have legendary status.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Hi , I used watch Stan train at Spring rd in the morning, then see him in Chip shop in the afternoon.
    Because he got know us, he used to give extra chips.
    So it’ll be just you and me soulman buddy outlining Stan’s unusual jumping when heading, legs akimbo !

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    It is quite rare as an Albion supporter to witness a great player in the stripes, so those who have a longer memory can fully appreciate what was then compared to now. Wile was immense and his record speaks volumes. 600 appearances rarely missed a game for 7 seasons and helped us win promotion in 76

A proper fighter on the field, i never saw him shirk a tackle. He was a natural leader who was always shouting and urging his team mates around him. Brave also with his head in bandages in the FA Cup semi. He was a very strong defender and uncompromising in the tackle and I doubt i will ever see a more inspirational leader. He will always have legendary status.
    Agree on all of the above but I think it’s impossible to separate him and Ally Robertson.

Either could’ve been captain and both were just as hard and committed.

I’d also add Martyn Bennett to that pair, he was every bit as good and if injuries had not curtailed him he’d have played for Man Utd and England.

I know for a fact he met Atkinson at The Moat House to discuss moving to United before he got the serious back injury.

Olsson and G Mac our best two since 1983 by an absolute mile.

Evans not fit to lace their boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    So it’ll be just you and me soulman buddy outlining Stan’s unusual jumping when heading, legs akimbo !
    Played in my 1st match but I was too young to have an opinion. I do remember fans used to shout 'hit it with your handbag Stan'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)