+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bristol R game

Bristol R game

For tomorrows game I personally would like to see TJ at right back, Think he is more mobile than Offord and more likely to offer Dale support. Richards in goal is pretty certain I feel. Rest of team the same.

Would like to see Regan Phillips being given a run as prime sub in midfield to check whether he is our best option. On Saturday Lowery was absolutely dreadful, Never seen a player lose possession so often in such a short period of time. Unfortunately Lowery at the moment is far from League1 standard. Think it is essential to see if RP is good enough, If not it is clear we need 2 new midfielders.

We presume you mean Griffiths.....

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    We presume you mean Griffiths.....
    Oh yes, sorry about that. I am terrible with names. Thanks for putting me right,

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Oh yes, sorry about that. I am terrible with names. Thanks for putting me right,
    I’m not sure you if you know which player is Lowery!

Quote Originally Posted by CroutonRouge View Post
    I’m not sure you if you know which player is Lowery!
    Afraid I do, his name is LOWERY and his squad number is 8(eight). I presume you are another one who is under the illusion that he is our playmaker. Statistics would confirm that our lead playmaker is Kirk, followed by Pickering. You obviously will be unaware that Kirk last season deservedly was awarded league2 assists player. Also that Pickering and Kirk provide most of our attacking moves in every game this season.

Well he certainly produced the two assists that beat Plymouth, and some of us were delighted to be there to witness it! And actually statistics show that this season Lowery is second to Kirk in assists (excluding the Papa John’s Mickey Mouse Trophy), although I will concede that his single goal is a disappointment. In his defence he’s also played 4 or 5 fewer matches than most others. It’s also true that Kirk has created more chances than him, but Pixie is well ahead of Kirk in that stat.

Contrary to popular belief only Wintle is more accurate in passing, although I recognise that this doesn’t measure the difficulty of the passes, Beckles being third on that list! But a combination of accuracy and assists must make him useful for something!

Strange how that other seemingly marmite player, Finney, is now joint top scorer too - hey ho!

The one thing that both we and the stats can agree on - Pixie is the best footballer at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post

You really have it in for Lowery. He did not come on from the start and most people agreed he changed the game in our favour. If you saw the game watch that 50 yard chase on their player and he even won the ball back.

The lad has suffered from a bad injury towards the end of last season and the beginning of this plus he has had to self isolate twice so not fully match fit

He has tremendous vision and read some of DA's comments on how good he is on the OS.
    Sixpence springs to mind

I am genuinely struggling to und4erstand the criticism for Lowery. Although I've only recently really started posting here, I have been watching Platform 12 for years and, I have to say, of all the common subjects that come up, the Lowery bashing is, to me, the most baffling. Is he a perfect player, that never loses the ball? Does he always make the right decision on the ball? No, of course he doesn't. If he did, he'd be at Liverpool or Man City. What he is is a young player that's developing but, from what I've observed, we're usually a better team with him on the pitch, and he's only going to get better. In his role as playmaker, he is going to lose the ball. It's his job to try and unlock the opposition defence (of course, he needs the other players to be making the right sort of movement in front of him and around him), so passing accuracy stats aren't really a fair metric to measure him against. in addition, as has been pointed out elsewhere, he's not had a consistent run in the team, due to injury, Covid, etc. You're not going to get that best level of performance from any player if they're in and out of the team. Given the hectic 'Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday' playing schedule, a player that can help your team retain the ball is invaluable, as you use less energy when you're in possession.

On the Bristol match - I too would like to see TJ at right back as, alongside TJ being more mobile and attack minded, this would free Offord to go into midfield and provide that defensive screen we're missing. This would free Wintle to play what I think is his more natural game and, I believe, we'd see an even better player. My midfield trio for the upcoming match would be Offord, Wintle and Lowery/Finney (Probably Lowery to start the game). I do agree that it would also be nice to get a look at Regan Griffiths, but probably not from the start. I would also like to Lundstram get into the team (Anyone know how long he's out for... I think I'm right in saying he's injured).

Prediction? 2-1 to the Alex.

I thought I'd posted a prediction but my old age is obviously beginning to kick in. Anyway, I'm going for the old favourite. 2-1. Can never see the Alex keeping a clean sheet.

By the way, I love Marmite but I'm not keen on Finney as a midfield player. However, you cannot knock him as a goalscorer (well, I could give it a go). The fact that his goal per shot ratio is probably relatively low, is balanced by the probability that he takes the most shots.
    As for Lowery, I believe we're better with him than without but as Finney is in for his goals, then perhaps Murphy has to make way.
    I agree also that Offord could be a defensive midfielder as anticipation and positioning are among his strong points. He hasn't proved that he can pass the ball as well as Wintle, yet (or Murphy for that matter!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast