+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Brexit Lies.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    I am sure that if we assessed the main reasons the 17.4 million voted to leave the EU, trade would be down the list and certainly behind sovereignty, regaining our own laws and having control over our borders. I do feel for the business people on this forum with all this extra administration but I feel that we should wait to see whether the system settles down over time.
    To me this is where we differ.

Trade was the only decision to make on the referendum in my opinion. And many who voted leave didn't vote based on trade. Again proves to you the success of the PR Leave machine.

And when you say 'wait for it to settle down' then I'm afraid much of the damage done is now irreparable. Our credibility in the world is extremely low. Assets have been moved to Europe and won't return. Some UK companies have lost business, some will go to the wall. This will affect employment and living standards. Its a high price to pay for a blue passport.

How many people on here who voted brexit talked about trade during the referendum vote? zilch
    Yet some are claiming they did when they didn’t and now believing their own confirmation bias. Now they are waiting for Frexit to happen and next the italians.. only place this news is sourced from are those youtube propaganda videos that love to click bait.
    The fact is, we never got that mini trade deal with Trump.. and as our gov were cosying up to him, this isn’t going to bode well with Biden in charge now. Why really do we have to offer to the rest of the world? A world Financial market? Who does that ever benefit?

Happy to bring some levity to you, in these strident times.

I can't give you my background, here, as I am under NDAs, but I can assure you that it involves multi million exports around the world, as part of the largest multi national in it's sector.

My point, if you read the post, was to ensure it is the system that is at fault. It clearly is, and I understand that an SME relies for it's life, on consistent cash flow. This is something the larger groups can stand, as a sale is a sale and payment will be made eventually. They can afford to Factor their Sales Ledger if times get hard. Much more difficult for others.

You clearly have a successful business, Mick, and there are forces set against you at this moment, but that doesn't mean it will always be like this, and the truth 12 months ago, is still the truth. We are being punished by EU Bureaucrats, but I believe their attention will move elsewhere, at some point.

To be fair, no one knew a, at Christmas, what the Deal would be, so difficult to predict what paperwork would be required, by them, but everyone knew there would be more of it, so no surprises, there.

I am quite sure you are agile enough to weather yet another storm in the history of your business, and you will come out the other side much stronger for it. You have to find ways, that's all.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    How many people on here who voted brexit talked about trade during the referendum vote? zilch
    Yet some are claiming they did when they didn’t and now believing their own confirmation bias. Now they are waiting for Frexit to happen and next the italians.. only place this news is sourced from are those youtube propaganda videos that love to click bait.
    The fact is, we never got that mini trade deal with Trump.. and as our gov were cosying up to him, this isn’t going to bode well with Biden in charge now. Why really do we have to offer to the rest of the world? A world Financial market? Who does that ever benefit?
    You are just confirming what I said earlier Regis. Trade was well down the list of reasons to leave for the majority of the 17.4 million people who voted leave in 2016.

You are just confirming what I said earlier Regis. Trade was well down the list of reasons to leave for the majority of the 17.4 million people who voted leave in 2016.
    Not the point I was initially making.

I was merely warning people to get used to paying more for their goods.

This is an inescapable fact.

Sorry to butt in Regis.

To be perfectly honest Mick, I understood that we may pay a bit more for goods now but I weighed up that it was a fair price to pay for freeing ourselves from the 'Club'.

To be perfectly honest Mick, I understood that we may pay a bit more for goods now but I weighed up that it was a fair price to pay for freeing ourselves from the 'Club'.
    Agreed Tip......I made the same calculation.

I didn’t realise that it would be such a cluster f u c k of a “Free Trade Deal”......in reality it’s nothing of the sort.

Another big lie - Nissan will pull out of Sunderland if we leave the EU.

The Company’s chief operating officer says the Brexit deal will improve the plants competitiveness and the Governments Brexit deal has given Nissan a competitive edge in Europe. Great news for the North East especially jobs given car exports are the biggest contributor to UK exports.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Another big lie - Nissan will pull out of Sunderland if we leave the EU.

The Company’s chief operating officer says the Brexit deal will improve the plants competitiveness and the Governments Brexit deal has given Nissan a competitive edge in Europe. Great news for the North East especially jobs given car exports are the biggest contributor to UK exports.
    Its good news what the Nissan COO said today about Brexit. I hope that's the case that Brexit gives them an advantage and they can sell their cars all over Europe.

But it's hardly a lie.

A lie is BJ telling everyone we'd have £350m extra per week for the NHS. Or Farage saying Turkey will join the EU. Or David Davies saying there are no downsides to Brexit. These are lies. And big fat ones.

Most people, including me, formed their opinion because of their former CEO, who has issued repeated warnings. Especially about a No Deal Brexit, which we managed to salvage at the 11th hour - and which some Leavers were gunning for. A No Deal Brexit would have left us in even more of a mess.

The former Nissan chief executive Carlos Ghosn in 2016 said the UK government would have to compensate carmakers for any extra costs caused by the UK’s departure. Nissan eventually secured secret pledges of government aid initially worth £80m, which were later reduced to £61m. The carmaker later made a U-turn on plans to build another SUV, the X-Trail, in north-east England while warning that Brexit uncertainty was harming its business. The Sunderland plant employs about 6,000 people and produced nearly 350,000 cars in 2019, although it has capacity to make 600,000 a year.

The carmaker’s European boss later warned that a no-deal Brexit that resulted in tariffs or quotas on exports from the UK would destroy its entire European business model.
    Last edited by WBA123; 22-01-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    What and absolute embarrassment of a post, particularly your last paragraph. It shows you have no knowledge of how things work or what has been going on in international trade wars over the past year (which i’ll come to in a moment).

First of all, you’ll stop buying wine from the EU?.. what you’ll actually go to the shopping wine aisle and just go straight for your ozzie and nz plonk? Telling yourself ‘i’m not buying EU wine’. Only few weeks ago you were going on about having a nice glass of sauternes. Perhaps we should all chip in a quid and buy you a map eh? so you can work out where that wine comes from.. you bloody chardonnay drinker. Mr chablis!

If you keep up to date with the trade wars that went on between Trump and China and even Countries in Europe you’ll know that the US put up tariffs on French wine. As a result supply of French wine to the US dropped. Now that Trump is out, don’t you think this will now be restored? We may not want French wine, but the US is a big market that will keep the French happy. Just think about it logically, selling to us don’t mean a thing.. they’ll only redistribute it elsewhere and without the red tape hassle.
    As regards my lack of knowledge of international trade if you read my post the first sentence contains 'I started to read the first post appreciated it was something I had no experience of' so yes guilty certainly compared to some on here.

Your second paragraph it's so badly written and punctuated I can't make top nor tail of it. Had you been on the vin before writing it or perhaps English isn't your first language? Don't think I've had a glass of Sauternes in 2020 but as you so obviously take such a close interest in my drinking habits perhaps your recall is better than mine.
    If you believe selling to us 'doesn't mean a thing' then try telling that to German car manufacturers, Dutch flower growers of French Champagne Houses. I can only conclude you therefore also 'have no knowledge of how things work' for if it meant not a thing to the EU why have they signed a deal?

My final sentence was meant to be little light post script not to be taken seriously. Thank you for giving it such consideration. I haven't bought any French wine since Jan 1 but that's because I haven't touched a drop since. When it is time to buy again I think I will try some different wines and in future I will buy what I think is best be it Froggie or Ozzie.

Don't worry about missing out on what I am drinking I'll make sure I keep you up to date on this at least.

Just about to have my night time cup of hot chocolate. Cadbury of course I now refuse to buy Belgian (not to be taken seriously.)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)