+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Brexit Lies.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    As regards my lack of knowledge of international trade if you read my post the first sentence contains 'I started to read the first post appreciated it was something I had no experience of' so yes guilty certainly compared to some on here.

Your second paragraph it's so badly written and punctuated I can't make top nor tail of it. Had you been on the vin before writing it or perhaps English isn't your first language? Don't think I've had a glass of Sauternes in 2020 but as you so obviously take such a close interest in my drinking habits perhaps your recall is better than mine.
    If you believe selling to us 'doesn't mean a thing' then try telling that to German car manufacturers, Dutch flower growers of French Champagne Houses. I can only conclude you therefore also 'have no knowledge of how things work' for if it meant not a thing to the EU why have they signed a deal?

My final sentence was meant to be little light post script not to be taken seriously. Thank you for giving it such consideration. I haven't bought any French wine since Jan 1 but that's because I haven't touched a drop since. When it is time to buy again I think I will try some different wines and in future I will buy what I think is best be it Froggie or Ozzie.

Don't worry about missing out on what I am drinking I'll make sure I keep you up to date on this at least.

Just about to have my night time cup of hot chocolate. Cadbury of course I now refuse to buy Belgian (not to be taken seriously.)
    What a muppet!

What makes us so special to sell to? We’re just one of 27 countries, you need to get over this thinking that we are the main and only buyers.

Sangiovese or Sauternes, whatever it is.. it’s from the EU. You just keep picking the non EU wine when you go down that drinks aisle in Asda’s.

Is there something wrong with the non EU wines sold in Asda Regis? I've always preferred the wines from Australia and New Zealand anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Is there something wrong with the non EU wines sold in Asda Regis? I've always preferred the wines from Australia and New Zealand anyway.
    It depends on how well you are into your wines, but as a general rule I tend to avoid supermarket wines. It’s mass produced and the cost of grapes for majority of those bottles in supermarkets come to a about a quid.
    The NZ and Aussie wines, if you read the labels on them they’ll all say.. ‘bottled in the UK’. They arrive here in huge tanks and are bottled here. It is easier to transport in tanks considering how far they come. Now imagine what efforts they go through to preserve those wines on that journey. I’m by no means a wine snob and drink a wide range of drinks. However for wines, it’s best to go to your local bottle shop where the local guy can give you more info about that wine.. might cost more, but you’ll get a better quality wine.

So, my point.. if we no longer get the EU wines which is on our doorstep (easily transported here) then i’m afraid we may start seeing more cheaper stuff from overseas. Just my belief. You might then ask what about wines from South America, especially Argentina and Chile.. apart from a one or two varieties, they don’t compare with wines from France, Spain or Italy.

Do you think that the French will stop exporting their wines to us then, especially in the knowledge that we are the second largest importer of French wines behind the USA.

Do you think that the French will stop exporting their wines to us then, especially in the knowledge that we are the second largest importer of French wines behind the USA.
    They won’t stop exporting to us or trying to anyway. But there are some french exporters that are frustrated since the start of this year, because they can’t shift their wines here due to the delays and paperwork. If this continues for however long, the only logical action they’ll look for are new markets? China is one. If things don’t get sorted out then who knows what will happen. I made my points above initially as a response to what 9goals stated, that he won’t buy EU wine anymore. But also, a chardonnay wine from France varies from a chardonnay wine made in Australia due to the varying ways of making them and their terroir. There’s a lot of finesse about the way french wine is made.. but you’ll rarely see these in supermarket wine.

Maybe this is a conversation that we should have this time next year when we can see how the new trade rules have bedded in and hopefully the distraction of this awful virus is behind us. I am sure that a clearer picture will emerge whether the decision we took about leaving the EU was a right one or not.

dont know if you watch any of the cooking programs,where there is a wine buff recommends a wine to go with the food being cooked on that particular time,I’ve noticed most of the wine they recommend, are mostly what they call new world wine oz,nz,sa.im not a great drinker of wine but do Australian wine.and the so called wine snobs some well known wine buff once said they know the least about wine.lets not forget the French make the best wine and the worst plonk in the world.most of the plonk comes here just saying.

I like a nice Chianti myself; Italian wines are for washing your food down with, not sipping. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    What a muppet!

What makes us so special to sell to? We’re just one of 27 countries, you need to get over this thinking that we are the main and only buyers.

Sangiovese or Sauternes, whatever it is.. it’s from the EU. You just keep picking the non EU wine when you go down that drinks aisle in Asda’s.
    There's nothing like a well considered thought out post and this not surprisingly is nothing like a well thought out post.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    It depends on how well you are into your wines, but as a general rule I tend to avoid supermarket wines. It’s mass produced and the cost of grapes for majority of those bottles in supermarkets come to a about a quid.
    The NZ and Aussie wines, if you read the labels on them they’ll all say.. ‘bottled in the UK’. They arrive here in huge tanks and are bottled here. It is easier to transport in tanks considering how far they come. Now imagine what efforts they go through to preserve those wines on that journey. I’m by no means a wine snob and drink a wide range of drinks. However for wines, it’s best to go to your local bottle shop where the local guy can give you more info about that wine.. might cost more, but you’ll get a better quality wine.

So, my point.. if we no longer get the EU wines which is on our doorstep (easily transported here) then i’m afraid we may start seeing more cheaper stuff from overseas. Just my belief. You might then ask what about wines from South America, especially Argentina and Chile.. apart from a one or two varieties, they don’t compare with wines from France, Spain or Italy.
    I don't profess to have a sophisticated enough taste buds to appreciate the difference I just know what I like. I don't actually drink a lot of wine prefer an ale. English of course.

I also don't know much about international trade but I do know this is nothing to do with quality it will be all about quantity and if EU wines become more expensive and New World Wines become cheaper after a deal then I don't have to be an expert to know who will lose and who will gain.

Or I might try the local more.

http://sus***wineries.co.uk/winery/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)