+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Heathrow Airport

Heathrow Airport

Airports, Airlines and Tour Operators continually bleat about lost trade but don't help themselves! The scenes in Heathrow airport in the arrivals departure were shocking - no social distancing - indoors - long queues and people on top of each other.

If the public are instructed to social distance on the high street and most of the shops are closed why should there be exceptions in travel. Not practical say Heathrow as 300 people getting off a plane to form a huge huge queue if they kept 2m apart - f uckin tough luck! Everyone one else has to abide by the rules and I feel sorry for all the little guys who have businesses going bust.

No wonder this country is in a mess! Let me think - nobody can travel unless it's urgent business so why are thousands still coming into the country even if they had a test and they have to self isolate ( another joke )! If I can't leave the country then why should aircraft from China or India land with thousands coming in!

Makes no sense! This is not even a lock down compared to the first one - it's a joke!

I have to agree Al that the reluctance to stop travel in and out of the country is hard to understand.

Last July we chose to lose our money and not travel to Europe for a holiday as we felt it was ridiculous to open up travel across Europe at that time. We have not learnt from that mistake in my opinion and we need to control our borders, stop people going out as well as coming back in.

People are rushing to book holidays already for summer 2021. I really cannot understand it. They need to get real, it is not worth it. I for one hope those making these bookings lose all their money.

However I suppose they are so determined to go that they will go anyway, unless the Govt stop all planes flying tourists out. If they get stuck overseas they will also expect the Govt to charter flights to get them back as well.

I agree, it’s crazy. I was hoping to go to the States last year but for obvious reasons, couldn’t; this year we were hoping to go on another European railway journey but there is just no sense in booking anything. When I go away somewhere, I want to enjoy the places, go to the places of interest, nice restaurants and bars, in all likelihood we wouldn’t be able to do all that, so why go? I don’t understand the desperation of some people to book stuff up when there’s so much uncertainty about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I agree, it’s crazy. I was hoping to go to the States last year but for obvious reasons, couldn’t; this year we were hoping to go on another European railway journey but there is just no sense in booking anything. When I go away somewhere, I want to enjoy the places, go to the places of interest, nice restaurants and bars, in all likelihood we wouldn’t be able to do all that, so why go? I don’t understand the desperation of some people to book stuff up when there’s so much uncertainty about everything.
    We had three holidays booked last year (fortunately we lost little of the cost of these trips) but decided months ago we would not plan any holidays for this year. Who would want to travel in this current climate. This type of situation is beyond belief. Only essential travel should be permitted.

People really amaze me with their behaviour why, even when we were clear of the virus, people stopped using hand sanitiser upon entering shops etc. it is beyond belief. I use the term ‘were free’ because yesterday morning we got up to an immediate 2nd lockdown, due to an outbreak of community seeding having been detected overnight. Only shops are now open, we are only allowed out for two hours a day, we are now back to social distancing and having to wear masks etc. No bars, no restaurants, no gyms, no anything and all because some selfish individual did not self isolate when entering or re-entering the Bailiwick. I hope they string the vermin up, thought it is most unlikely they will identify them. And then of course all the selfish bar-stewards stripped the super market shelves bare. Some humans behave more like animals. We have elderly folk to care for like many but the selfish actions of, well thousand yesterday mean than many will have to go without.

Sorry to highjack the thread but just thought I would let you know as I have said in previously posts how well our local gGovernment and the community had dealt with the last lockdown. Government is still doing great going straight into a full lockdown for two weeks without warning will probably do it, but the people not so great with their selfish stupidity.

I’ve said this before and i’ll say it again, the media is rolling out the propaganda so we can all blame each other for the crisis and increasing number of cases. Do you really believe that? Naturally us social humans will want to go away, yes some are selfish and really could do without it this year and I agree, it’s not necessary. But really, who is allowing this to happen? That blame should surely lie with those in charge. It’s all about money. Just why have we not banned travel altogether?

Back in March, 2-3 weeks before the national lockdown.. a new advertising campaign contract was awarded to Omnigov for about £120M to warn people about covid etc etc. £120M ffs and this was 2-3 weeks before bojo locks everyone down.
    Still want to blame those protesters, uni students, travellers, ethnic groups..?
    You might say i’m being mr hindsight. But awarding a contract of that amount before the national lockdown? Why isn’t anyone fuming at this incompetent bunch of politicians? it’s one mistake too many.. they really must have a good PR team to somehow tell us they are doing well in the polls. Another lie.
    Last edited by regis80; 24-01-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Closing our international borders would be nigh on impossible in stopping the virus or the mutations anyway. We may be an island such as Oz and NZ yet we are also among the most open international economies in the world and we are highly reliant on freight movement to and from the Continent for our food and loads of other stuff. Therefore with this amount of trade coming through our borders It would seem virtually impossible to keep the virus out. So this latest wheeze sure aint gonna work.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Closing our international borders would be nigh on impossible in stopping the virus or the mutations anyway. We may be an island such as Oz and NZ yet we are also among the most open international economies in the world and we are highly reliant on freight movement to and from the Continent for our food and loads of other stuff. Therefore with this amount of trade coming through our borders It would seem virtually impossible to keep the virus out. So this latest wheeze sure aint gonna work.
    “Latest wheeze”.......a “Freudian Slip” surely 😆😆

I wonder if we need a system whereby container drivers are not allowed to travel any further than the port they deliver to.

Have some kind of safe zone where goods are transferred to U.K. hauliers as soon as the goods hit the U.K.

Why isn’t anyone fuming at this incompetent bunch of politicians? it’s one mistake too many.. they really must have a good PR team to somehow tell us they are doing well in the polls. Another lie.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the majority are fuming Regis, £22bn on test and trace, the Turkey PPE consignment fiasco, Cheltenham race festival, last summer's GCSE/A-level exams - would any party do enough to not come in for a hiding? Health issues should not be so front and centre of politics in my view.

Al - is there social distancing on planes? If not then there's no point trying to implement it in the arrivals hall as generally it's the same body of people that queue up for passport control then baggage reclaim? As you say steps should have been taken to shut down all non-essential travel and I like Mick's idea of a safe zone to transfer goods at port to UK hauliers.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Why isn’t anyone fuming at this incompetent bunch of politicians? it’s one mistake too many.. they really must have a good PR team to somehow tell us they are doing well in the polls. Another lie.
    I'd say the majority are fuming Regis, £22bn on test and trace, the Turkey PPE consignment fiasco, Cheltenham race festival, last summer's GCSE/A-level exams - would any party do enough to not come in for a hiding? Health issues should not be so front and centre of politics in my view.

Al - is there social distancing on planes? If not then there's no point trying to implement it in the arrivals hall as generally it's the same body of people that queue up for passport control then baggage reclaim? As you say steps should have been taken to shut down all non-essential travel and I like Mick's idea of a safe zone to transfer goods at port to UK hauliers.[/QUOTE]

No social distancing and worse WCV - a friend has just come back from Tenerife and the plane was a third full. The crew made random passengers sit next to each other before take off to distribute the weight on the aircraft. So passengers were sitting next to strangers for around 30 minutes before airborne!

What a joke!! You can’t have table service in a small restaurant but one cough on a plane or in the arrivals hall could kill you!

The whole thing is a joke!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)