+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brexit Lies.

The Brexit Lies.

I’ll bet that 99.9% of you will open this thread and be expecting to see it was started by WBA123........I’ll wager that even more of you will be staggered that it’s me.....”Mr Brexit” on this forum.

Well I’m going to hold my hands up here and admit that as far as business is concerned this Brexit is a disaster.

It’s been badly handled by both our supposed negotiators and the Eu side, our side have been inept and naive and the Eu are just acting like t w a t s on purpose.

To trade in Europe requires a EORI number these days, something we applied for weeks ago but the Germans are not playing ball in allocating this simple number.

Instead of doing the same to them our HMRC have made it easy for Eu exporters by supplying our Eu friends with the number they need to trade with us!

Goods are getting trapped at ports for the lucky people who have the code number needed, many companies, even giants such as DHL and UPS have suspended road shipments.

We all heard a lot about this super dooper “Free Trade Agreement”........this is the biggest lie and pile of horse s h I t you’ve been fed during this process!

It only applies to goods made in THIS country and for them, goods made in the Eu........if, as with our goods and the majority of goods these days, if it’s made in China or anywhere else in the world then a tariff is due.

In our case this is 4.7% on every item we export.

Carriers have also upped their prices, DPD imposes an immediate £3 extra charge on parcels to Eu countries, Royal Mail have added £8 per parcel 😲

Then there’s all the extra paperwork and declarations which are an absolute nightmare.

I was prepared for a 10% drop in business for a couple of years, I felt it was a price worth paying to retain sovereignty but it’s so much worse than a 10% hit.

Covid is obviously having a massive impact on us as well because sport cannot be played at the moment but we as a company are 75% down against last years figures in recent times.

So just be aware, there is going to be a big knock on effect on what you lot are paying for you goods and you’re going to see this very quickly, we are not alone in the fact we will be putting up most of our prices to cover this “Black Hole” in our margin.

The whole trading agreement is a pile of s h I t cobbled together by morons, it’s helping neither side and didn’t need to be like this.

Even fishing has turned out to be a misnomer.

I can’t remember hearing a single U.K. fisherman telling us during the lead up to the vote that they actually sold 70% of the fish they caught into European markets😫

That being the case WHY in hell do you want to hamstring yourself like this.

For the average man on the street the only difference you’re going to notice is more hassle booking your holiday in Europe and a lot of the consumables costing you more,

I can only see us as a company being considerably smaller once all of this settles and it’ll be the same for a lot of others at a time when we need more jobs creating, people like me will be employing less, we’ve already not replaced one lad who decided to move on.

So am I now anti Brexit?

That’s a difficult one because there’s so much I dislike about the Eu and it’s wastefulness and it’s pettiness and it’s lack of being able to bend a little in certain areas to suit different countries needs.

The trade deal is an utter mess though, it’s so unnecessary to have created all of this mess, it’s helping neither side.

I’ll concede to you 123, you were right about a lot of this stuff but the Eu attitude towards us now and how they’re treating us exporters is disgraceful and makes me like them even less.

If only they’d conceded just a little to Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’ll bet that 99.9% of you will open this thread and be expecting to see it was started by WBA123........I’ll wager that even more of you will be staggered that it’s me.....”Mr Brexit” on this forum.

Well I’m going to hold my hands up here and admit that as far as business is concerned this Brexit is a disaster.

It’s been badly handled by both our supposed negotiators and the Eu side, our side have been inept and naive and the Eu are just acting like t w a t s on purpose.

To trade in Europe requires a EORI number these days, something we applied for weeks ago but the Germans are not playing ball in allocating this simple number.

Instead of doing the same to them our HMRC have made it easy for Eu exporters by supplying our Eu friends with the number they need to trade with us!

Goods are getting trapped at ports for the lucky people who have the code number needed, many companies, even giants such as DHL and UPS have suspended road shipments.

We all heard a lot about this super dooper “Free Trade Agreement”........this is the biggest lie and pile of horse s h I t you’ve been fed during this process!

It only applies to goods made in THIS country and for them, goods made in the Eu........if, as with our goods and the majority of goods these days, if it’s made in China or anywhere else in the world then a tariff is due.

In our case this is 4.7% on every item we export.

Carriers have also upped their prices, DPD imposes an immediate £3 extra charge on parcels to Eu countries, Royal Mail have added £8 per parcel 😲

Then there’s all the extra paperwork and declarations which are an absolute nightmare.

I was prepared for a 10% drop in business for a couple of years, I felt it was a price worth paying to retain sovereignty but it’s so much worse than a 10% hit.

Covid is obviously having a massive impact on us as well because sport cannot be played at the moment but we as a company are 75% down against last years figures in recent times.

So just be aware, there is going to be a big knock on effect on what you lot are paying for you goods and you’re going to see this very quickly, we are not alone in the fact we will be putting up most of our prices to cover this “Black Hole” in our margin.

The whole trading agreement is a pile of s h I t cobbled together by morons, it’s helping neither side and didn’t need to be like this.

Even fishing has turned out to be a misnomer.

I can’t remember hearing a single U.K. fisherman telling us during the lead up to the vote that they actually sold 70% of the fish they caught into European markets😫

That being the case WHY in hell do you want to hamstring yourself like this.

For the average man on the street the only difference you’re going to notice is more hassle booking your holiday in Europe and a lot of the consumables costing you more,

I can only see us as a company being considerably smaller once all of this settles and it’ll be the same for a lot of others at a time when we need more jobs creating, people like me will be employing less, we’ve already not replaced one lad who decided to move on.

So am I now anti Brexit?

That’s a difficult one because there’s so much I dislike about the Eu and it’s wastefulness and it’s pettiness and it’s lack of being able to bend a little in certain areas to suit different countries needs.

The trade deal is an utter mess though, it’s so unnecessary to have created all of this mess, it’s helping neither side.

I’ll concede to you 123, you were right about a lot of this stuff but the Eu attitude towards us now and how they’re treating us exporters is disgraceful and makes me like them even less.

If only they’d conceded just a little to Cameron.
    Is this a wind up Mick?

lol. To be honest, we deserve what we get if we believed all the lies told to us. I was kind of optimistic about trade but always knew this couldn’t be done in a year.. how this inept bunch got this through, i’ve not idea.. after all the problems plus the cock ups with covid, it doesn’t surprise me. But anyway we’ll have jd our sovereignty back, that’s what that was always important to most in here.
    I’d like to put the initial problems down to teething, but within my circle it’s becoming a real disaster.
    Now most on here will never agree with 123, but he is by far the most sensible and knowledgeable on these matters which i have the utmost respect for.. yet majority want to keep slating him.

Let’s see what all the brexiteers here have to say on the reality of this brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Is this a wind up Mick?

lol. To be honest, we deserve what we get if we believed all the lies told to us. I was kind of optimistic about trade but always knew this couldn’t be done in a year.. how this inept bunch got this through, i’ve not idea.. after all the problems plus the cock ups with covid, it doesn’t surprise me. But anyway we’ll have jd our sovereignty back, that’s what that was always important to most in here.
    I’d like to put the initial problems down to teething, but within my circle it’s becoming a real disaster.
    Now most on here will never agree with 123, but he is by far the most sensible and knowledgeable on these matters which i have the utmost respect for.. yet majority want to keep slating him.

Let’s see what all the brexiteers here have to say on the reality of this brexit.
    Not a wind up at all Regis.

I’ve always lead with my chin and I’ll say it as I see it even if it goes against my previous stance.

It’s an unholy f u c k ing mess and it’s going to make life here 10% more expensive at least.

Sovereignty = 10% worse of financially I’d say.

Fair enough Mick.

We really should have been given more time for this deal to be properly scrutinised by parliament, a xmas eve deal really gave us no time to look into the details.

Let’s hope it doesn’t happen, but if we get really flicked over by this incompetent bunch of politicians.. I really hope for the first time we start jailing these liars.

With regards to EORI numbers, this is surely a standard procedure by which HMRC issue to companies? I remember applying for one years ago, took upto 28 days.. but what i’m hearing is that our HMRC are struggling with everything at the moment. Personally i’m lucky i’ve not had to start my trade yet, so hopefully once this initial period is out the way.. only then I can see what impacts it’s on me.

There was some optimism I had of the idea of a CANZUK deal, not entirely sure how that would work. The UK in isolation trading with the rest of world doesn’t is pointless as we don’t really carry much leverage, but as joint alliance with these countries would actually benefit us.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Fair enough Mick.

We really should have been given more time for this deal to be properly scrutinised by parliament, a xmas eve deal really gave us no time to look into the details.

Let’s hope it doesn’t happen, but if we get really flicked over by this incompetent bunch of politicians.. I really hope for the first time we start jailing these liars.

With regards to EORI numbers, this is surely a standard procedure by which HMRC issue to companies? I remember applying for one years ago, took upto 28 days.. but what i’m hearing is that our HMRC are struggling with everything at the moment. Personally i’m lucky i’ve not had to start my trade yet, so hopefully once this initial period is out the way.. only then I can see what impacts it’s on me.

There was some optimism I had of the idea of a CANZUK deal, not entirely sure how that would work. The UK in isolation trading with the rest of world doesn’t is pointless as we don’t really carry much leverage, but as joint alliance with these countries would actually benefit us.
    U.K. companies already have a EORI number Regis but now require one issued by an Eu country since Jan 1st and these have only been available since 1st Jan.

The Germans are being t w a t s about sending these numbers out, they have them but they’re dribbling them out to frustrate U.K. business.

You can apply to Holland or any other Eu country for one but if the Germans have already allocated you a number then you have to wait until they decide to send you it.

Meanwhile, our HMRC have made it easy for Eu counties by just adding three zeros to the EORI code Eu customers were previously using.

We’ve made it easy for them and they are being tossers in return, this should have been reciprocal!

If there was another Brexit vote now it wouldn’t even be close, it’d be nearer 60-40 to going back in I guess.

I’m staggered at the fishermen though.

The Eu accounts for a third of my sales but it was 70% of theirs.........I posted months ago that the fishermen would get thrown under the bus to get the deal done but I never heard a single fisherman say that 70% of his catch was sold to the Eu.

There’s just been an item on ITV news about the very subject that you are on about, Mick. There are clearly many small companies suffering with this problem. Their prices have gone up by about 15% on average according to the report and are experiencing the loss of a great deal of business. I wonder too, how many people would still have followed the Pied Piper of Brexit if they had known how he was going to cozy up to Donald Trump? It is also true that if the EU had looked beyond the ends of their noses, they could have prevented the Brexit vote from ever have happening. Intransigence all round and now everyone suffers, the EU included.

It brings me no pleasure at all reading this, or that your EU export side of your business is struggling due to Brexit Mick. I would much rather it was me, saying I was wrong to so passionately object leaving the EU. And fair play to you for putting your Brexit allegiance to one side and looking at it objectively.

As you point out, exports are a massive issue right now. Red tape has only increased many fold, as you would expect. I work with quite a few UK companies, some who have invested in extra staff and spent months preparing for this. They got 6 hours before the deal was ratified to implement it. And now they are having their business poached by companies in other EU countries.

And that is the benefit of the single market, it makes trade easier. Put yourself in a buyers position. Lets say you're a company in Portugal and you buy from the UK, now you have to pay for extra customs clearances, pay duties on goods of origin that is not in the UK and pay staff for their time dealing with the extra bureaucracy. In many cases its not worth their trouble and if they can switch supplier to a German or Dutch supplier then they will.

Exports bring money into this country and support jobs. And we have chosen to increase trade barriers with our largest customer. Its inevitable it will make us poorer. My stance on Brexit was always from a trade perspective. The reason the Leave side won the referendum was because of a fantastic PR campaign where they downplayed the threat towards trade and focused on things like sovereignty, immigration and the war, and worse of all disregarded the vast majority of expert economic opinion.

I did already know the majority of our fish was exported to the EU, its no different to Nissan workers in Sunderland voting to leave. Or any other worker in the UK who works for a company who exports into Europe and benefitted from the single market. The Leave campaign have convinced people to vote to be poorer, for no known trade benefits in return.

I'm quite resigned to the situation now, we just have to live with and accept it, I just hope its not as bad as I fear it could be for our economy. As always, it won't be the Boris Johnsons, Rees-Mogg's or Farage's who will suffer - but the working man who wants to provide for his family.
    Last edited by WBA123; 19-01-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    U.K. companies already have a EORI number Regis but now require one issued by an Eu country since Jan 1st and these have only been available since 1st Jan.

The Germans are being t w a t s about sending these numbers out, they have them but they’re dribbling them out to frustrate U.K. business.

You can apply to Holland or any other Eu country for one but if the Germans have already allocated you a number then you have to wait until they decide to send you it.

Meanwhile, our HMRC have made it easy for Eu counties by just adding three zeros to the EORI code Eu customers were previously using.

We’ve made it easy for them and they are being tossers in return, this should have been reciprocal!

If there was another Brexit vote now it wouldn’t even be close, it’d be nearer 60-40 to going back in I guess.

I’m staggered at the fishermen though.

The Eu accounts for a third of my sales but it was 70% of theirs.........I posted months ago that the fishermen would get thrown under the bus to get the deal done but I never heard a single fisherman say that 70% of his catch was sold to the Eu.

Hi Mick
    Posted on the takeover thread before it was hijacked that 123 was right about EU exports. It was lovely to hear we would control our destiny, this that and the other, but the reality is as 123 pointed out - it's 1 v 27 so it's unlikely to ever happen. I admitted, I got this wrong. I bet those dinghies are still coming in as before and there's certainly been no voices loud and clear of how it's going to be stopped. Speak to anyone who has been away who is supposed to self isolate and the checks involved - most have said to me it's a complete joke. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why the UK have one of the worst records for the virus!

In terms of our EU shipments and we do a huge volume - we have decided as a business to take a hit on the EU import and taxation charges otherwise lose orders. This could work out to be around 10% on our bottom line. We have huge volumes with DHL and their road shipments were only suspended until Tuesday 5th January but NOTHING changes with the EORI number - you do not need with DHL a EORI number by country and you can use the same EORI number which was always used. DHL have an automated system so their paperwork is straight forward so we don't need to change the EORI whatsoever - just complete contents of each shipment and their value. We have even changed the automation on the DHL system so all fees go back to our account so from a EU customer perspective - nothing changes and each shipment sails through without any hassle or fees to pay for them. More time consuming printing off two sets of customs declaration forms ( 6 copies in total ) to be attached to two places on every box.

It's the hit on the bottom line where 123 was right about! Even with the hit on the bottom line we can't afford to lose a huge amount of orders by not absorbing the customers fees as we have many EU customers and they simply will not order with another hit on purchase costs paid to us.
    Last edited by baggieal; 19-01-2021 at 10:45 AM.

gunnar beck a german mep has said the eu wants to hinder our efforts to cut red tape to detract from growing problems now faced by brussels.
    the sense by the hard liners is that if god will not punish the uk
    then we will!
    beck added that france and the third reich will be at the centre of all attempts to strip britain
    of it's tariff-free with the bloc.

lovely people.. lovely trading partners

Quote Originally Posted by Greavseywolf View Post
    gunnar beck a german mep has said the eu wants to hinder our efforts to cut red tape to detract from growing problems now faced by brussels.
    the sense by the hard liners is that if god will not punish the uk
    then we will!
    beck added that france and the third reich will be at the centre of all attempts to strip britain
    of it's tariff-free with the bloc.

lovely people.. lovely trading partners
    Christ almighty...a Wolves fan who is also a Leaver

2 things,

1. All countries have MEPs and MPs who are clowns. Our current sitting Home Secretary threatened to starve the Irish over Brexit.

2. I would imagine every company in Europe is sizing up UK business to poach, and why shouldn't they? This is business, and ease of buying matters to a customer. Its why we now shop online and why Amazon are the richest company in the world. We are no longer partners with the EU, we are competitors. And they are a much bigger fish than us. THIS IS WHAT YOU VOTED FOR.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)